cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Jay Leno's favorite kind of car show has no awards

I don't know about you, but cars and coffees are my favorite kind of car show. I like them because there are no awards, there's no best car/worst car, you simply show up and talk cars for a couple of hours. And I don't even drink coffee!
https://www.hagerty.com/media/magazine-features/jay-lenos-favorite-kind-of-car-show-has-no-awards/
47 REPLIES 47
MichaelG1967
Intermediate Driver

I love “Cars and Coffee” type events, I like getting out early before the day heats up, and spending 2-3 hours on a early Saturday morning chatting with people on cars etc. I have a job where I’m on call and it’s nearly impossible for me to do a conventional type car show where you are “stuck” for several hours. 

MustangJim
Technician

I'm in complete agreement. Cars and coffee events are great. Go out for a nice drive early in the morning, hang out for a while looking at and talking about great cars. Opportunity to see all kinds of cars, foreign, domestic, old, new, exotic, inexpensive, very expensive...you get the point. Then, get to go home early and do other things. Unfortunately I don't have the time for a regular car **bleep** 2 c&c events a month.
DUB6
Racer

I'm cool with Leno not "leading a gang of car nuts doing burnouts", but not liking coffee?  Dude, I am a fan, but this is pushing it a bit far!  😁

BMD4800
Engineer

I kind of like watching the Vette guys turn off traction control and get squirrelly. I usually pull out in second and keep boost low so I don’t hit some gravel and be that guy.

I never sign up for car **bleep** awards anyway, driving my car is all the award or reward I need.

I typed a bit more but the system turned all the typing into a bleep.  Does change the meaning into something kind of funny though.

Sajeev
Community Manager

Yes we are still in bleeping bleep mode because the system is inclined to bleep with us.  Sorry about that, we are still working on it. 

MustangJim
Technician

My wife has been bleeping me for 40 years so its ok!

Sajeev
Community Manager

You are a bleeping saint, thank you for your understanding about our bleep situation. 

Kudos to your bleeping wife!  😁

BMD4800
Engineer

Double-entendre?

Cheers, in either case.
JEL395
Intermediate Driver

I never seem to be surprised by Jay's perspectives, comments and commitment to car culture, East - West, Lambo or model A. Yet for me it feels good to hear him **bleep**, whenever, however. Jay, Never Stop Driving, and be the voice of the everyman car guy ( person, sorry ladies ).
JEL395
Intermediate Driver

not sure what happened here, the ** bleep ** is the word " share " ???
Sajeev
Community Manager

Sorry about the bleeps, we are working on a bleeping fix for this bleep, @JEL395 so please bear with us. 

Snailish
Engineer

Seems most words with **bleep** the bleep.

s-----h---- if it is around 4 characters your word is probably edited often taking half your post

Only pattern I have found is the s and letter h being in there. Haven't tried to crack the code with other forum-naughty words.

Looks like crap makes it through.  😉

hyperv6
Collector

My favorite show every year is no awards.

I do a few brand only Pontiac only. But I attend a Charity event that is kind of the legacy of the Glenmoore Gathering concourse. 

It is a no award that encompasses the history and interesting aspects of automotive history. It is just a day of enjoying the cars and no worry about dust. 

You may see anything from a La Ferrari to a VW German staff Bug from 1942. One year a Davis showed up and even Fred Sanfords actual screen used truck. 

The event is a cross section from high rollers to the hot rodders. 

When you drive in or out the drive people sit in chairs along the drive. It is like a parade. 

There is great good, tours of the mansion. Even one year the Goodyear blimp flew over the event. 

It is a blast. Everyone is just there for a good time. 

I even got to slide behind the wheel of a Miura. 

For me it is one of the last events I attend every year. 

If I do attend a judge Pontiac **bleep** means more than the local shows. 

I don’t have an expensive car and if I can beat a car that their paint is more than my investment I am pleased to know it was a test of my detailing skills. I see it as a test of myself and my skills not that I beat anyone. 

I give up on the beep

Edwardsg
Intermediate Driver

Autoplex **bleep** over, seeing everything moving, and working the pedals.
Sajeev
Community Manager

@Edwardsg sorry about the bleeps in your response, we are working on a bleeping fix for this bleep. Please bear with us. 

Air_and_Water
Instructor

See, this is why Jay is my favorite celebrity. He's basically saying "Hey, I just want to look at cars, talk about cars, and meet people who have that in common with me." There isn't another like him in Hollywood that I'm aware of, though Seinfeld is probably closest.
oldscool
Pit Crew

How about Tim Allen?
GoFaster
Detailer

Leno is the only true car guy who also happens to be a celebrity. Leno can actually turn wrenches, and he can give you a history lesson on everything he owns. Seinfeld is not even close. I have the utmost level of respect for Jay Leno. Great article.
MustangJim
Technician

So true .  Leno was a car guy before he had money.  If was not rich and famous, he would still  be into cars. Most of the hollywood people are into cars because they have money and it looks cool. I think Seinfeld is real though. 

Snailish
Engineer

I remember watching/reading that Seinfeld was a numbers guy. Arguably one of the most data trivia filled people for Porsche (that's his jam I think? --this was a while ago) was the premise of the article/**bleep**).

A different kind of car person, and actually a type that is really important to have too. Someone that knows what a particular car is supposed to be/have is handy to have. Passionate in a different way is another wording.

MustangJim
Technician

I agree.  Thats the great thing about the car hobby. You can enjoy cars in so many ways...from driving like you stole it to keeping it the living room to look at. From old to new, import to domestic and everything in between.  The only problem is that each group has its elitests. 

Mike_B
Intermediate Driver

My favorite kind of car show too.

No time requirement. 

No entrance fee.  

No make / model / year restrictions.  

No participation trophy.  
Just show

up and look at a wide variety of cars, talk with a wide variety of car people

and still get home with plenty of time to do other things with your day.
Win!

For anyone in the Portland, OR area, we have two major C&C events every weekend.
Portland C&C at Langer Entertainment Center in Sherwood, OR.

Orchards C&C at the Vancouver Mall in Vancouver, WA.

And don't forget Beaches Weekly Cruise-In at Portland International Raceway every Wednesday through the summer (this one does have an entry fee, but it's well worth it).

*Wow!  Please excuse the odd formatting.  The "bleep" police are out in full force today!

Sajeev
Community Manager

@Mike_B sorry about the bleeps in your response, we are working on a bleeping fix for this bleep. Please bear with us. 

Tinkerah
Engineer

Plus most participants are happy to fire their engine and give a few revs if you ask to hear it. Can't have that at a snooty show.
sharkguy48
Detailer

I used to go to Malibu but, stopped going there as the parking lot owners started to have private security services threaten attendees with towing or some kind of faux tickets. Too much of a hassle. I have also seen Jay at Super Sunday Cars and Coffee at Pierce College - a bigger show and no hassles.
Montypete
Pit Crew

I live in western New York. We really don't have a long driving or **bleep** lots of car talk and classic cars
Montypete
Pit Crew

Ok so most of my post looks like it was deleted when I submitted it.
Sajeev
Community Manager

@Montypete sorry about the bleeps and the removed text in your response, we are working on a bleeping fix for this bleep. Please bear with us while we get to the bottom of it. 

Roadsterboy
Intermediate Driver

Hi Jay, I don't like coffee either...I'll have some English breakfast tea please!! Love your car collection, would live to see your collection someday .....Cheers

ASquier
New Driver

I just went to my first C&C this past Saturday. It was great. So many of the cruise-ins are mostly American cars. I don’t really know much about them as I didn’t grow up in the states. I went with my only old car (1972 Volvo 142E) and people knew what it was! So much fun seeing other imports from Japan, Italy, England, France, and even another Swede!
OMPguy
Intermediate Driver

Hey! I’ve owned 50 cars from Rolls to Isetta, so I welcome the all-comers events. Lucky to have Hagerty Cars & Caffeine here in Traverse City during our brief **bleep**’s near the top of my ice cream flavor choices. Jay’s the man!
Jnick
Advanced Driver

I really look forward to our Portland weekly Cars and Coffee and have met completely different people each week. I have an old Camaro, a prewar Dodge truck and a Sprite which I rotate into the mix each week. Nice to have the vintage truck, hot rod and sports car scene all sewn up. Each group is equally passionate but invariably I end up with the wrong car on the wrong day sometimes, I made friends with a Boss 302 owner who wants a photo of his car with my Z28 but it never quite seems to materialize.
The best thing about our Cars and Coffee is the drive home over the hills, through the wine country, truly beautiful on a clear day in a Sprite.
janedon
Advanced Driver

I think that Most car people prefer the no competition type get togethers - we get to talk with other that have the same interests-Admire others work--Learn from each other--just relax & enjoy peoples' company-- When there is completion--there is Stress/mistrust & Sooo many "Bad" things--
janedon
Advanced Driver

I do Hate early mornings though----Early morning to me is before Noon--
tigercat
Detailer

Jay Leno a true car guy who started small like the rest of us and has he could afford it built big like we all wish we could do. King of the hill but has never forgotten the humble beginnings of his car infatuation. Remember he also stood by collectors in our state of California when Sacramento was trying to destroy the vintage and collector car market and subsidy manufacturers by greedy bureaucrats. The impact of his notoriety on the tonight **bleep** no substitutions.
tigercat
Detailer

Replying to my own **Bleep**, C'mon Haggerty. Jay Leno accept no substitutions.
Sajeev
Community Manager

Okay, looks like I need to add show to the list of words we are using for the diagnosis. 

SHOW
SHIFT
SHRINK
STREET
SHUDDER
SHOW

Sajeev
Community Manager

and of course it works for me...ugh...

Swamibob
Technician

Hey Sajeev;

Is that computer named Hal or possibly Colossus? 🙂
Sajeev
Community Manager

LOL! At this point nothing would surprise me. 

NHO
Intermediate Driver

Jay is spot on but I don't mind award shows as long as the voting is by the general public and not the ones that are actually participating. I've been in shows that were put on by car clubs where it was obvious they were voting for their own. Some very mediocre cars would take home the trophies while some very nice cars where you could tell the owner put in a lot of hard work went empty handed. I stopped partaking in those shows in short order and just park off to the side or not even go.
ZZZPR
Intermediate Driver

"Club voting" is a problem in my area. One club in particular hosts a lot of events, and after attending a few of them it became obvious that all of the club members were voting for other members' cars. The vast majority of the $5 trophies were going to club members, no matter how mediocre the cars were. All of their events are now crossed off my list. On the other hand, I'm fine with events that are formally judged on a points basis, or where the judges just pick cars that they like. Those methods favor quality builds and allow for "outside the box" interesting cars to be recognized.

Having said that, I'm with Jay in that most of my favorite events are cruise-ins with no (or at least minimal) awards. Also like Jay, I'm a coffee hater (and not a morning person) so Cars & Coffee events are not my thing. I also don't view car events as something to get out of the way early so I can do other things the rest of the day. However, I have to say that recently I bit the bullet, set the alarm early on a Sunday, and attended a Hagerty sponsored Cars & Coffee nearby. The turnout was a little light due to iffy weather, but I have to say the other owners were most knowledgeable, curious, interesting, and diverse group I have ever encountered at an event. Talked about cars for two hours straight, and enjoyed every minute of it. I may have to change my mind about Cars & Coffee events, and Hagerty will get the blame for loss of sleep!
BMD4800
Engineer

My favorite kind of car show has ratty Civics with swaps, model As and Non-streetrod deuces along with hot rods, open header beasts, idle-surging 8-71s, 4-door trash, numbers matching muscle cars, beastly Supras, and a group of people talking, having a good time, building friendships. But I especially like seeing the young kids getting mentored and LISTENED to by older generations, thus keeping this going.