cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nathan
Hagerty Employee

Is this magnifique 1986 Hyundai Pony worth $150K?

Ever heard of a 1986 Hyundai Pony worth $150K? Neither had we. So when we saw one online at Brossard Hyundai in Brossard, Quebec, we just had to check it out. After several calls to the dealership, however, we’re still scratching our heads.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/is-this-magnifique-1986-hyundai-pony-worth-150k/

7 REPLIES 7
Pepperalls
Detailer

"that dealership with the crazy-priced old Hyundai Pony" --pretty slick word of mouth reference really.

The typo theory does seem possible too.

They may have sold some of these in parts of Canada, but they certainly weren't seen in a lot of places. My guess would be a few urban centres.

Sajeev
Community Manager

I would see them all over in Toronto and Edmonton when I'd visit family during the holidays.  By the mid 1990s most of them seemed rusted out to the point of being one dead battery away from the junkyard.  Which, from what Canadian journos mentioned in the past, was a serious problem with them. 

Carfixr
Passenger

My girlfriend had one, bought brand new. Points ignition, rear wheel drive, POS. Within 2 years it had so much blowby that I had to safety wire the oil cap to the V/C to keep from losing another one. By year 3, steering linkages wore out, all with less than 60k on the clock. Warranty was a year/24k...heater was abysmally inadequate. They made a bigger sedan, the Stellar, which wasn't, then a few years later a FWD Excell which did not...my how far they have come in quality. Hard to believe they survived on such dismal cars, but then Detroit was not much better in the mid 80's. I wouldn't give anyone $5 for that Pony...

FargenDog
Passenger

It is hard to find a bigger POS than the Hyundai Pony.  My friend bought one in the late 90's for $500 and she paid $495 more than she should have.  The great thing about the Pony is that it is a testament to Hyundai as a benchmark from where it was to where it has come.  This car is valued around 5-10$ for most but for Hyundai as a benchmark to measure where it came from perhaps this is worth $150K.....

FargenDog
Passenger

It is hard to find a bigger POS than the Hyundai Pony.  My friend bought one in the late 90's for $500 and she paid $495 more than she should have.  The great thing about the Pony is that it is a testament to Hyundai as a benchmark from where it was to where it has come.  This car is valued around 5-10$ for most but for Hyundai as a benchmark to measure where it came from perhaps this is worth $150K.....

SilentBoy741
Advanced Driver

I had a '94 Excel, and from my experience, the $150,000 price tag would be the dealer trying to recoup the cost of parts to keep it running.

Artstreamstudio
Passenger

I bought one in 1987 in Hamilton Ontario and it was the deluxe one.  You got carpet on the floor instead of rubber, a radio and a passenger side mirror.  I think the basic model was $4995.00 and ours was $5995.00  It was like a 1972 Datsun under the hood with points and condenser and a carburetor.  By 1987 everyone else had FI. It was half the price of a Honda.  But we loved that little car as newlyweds in our first and to date only new car we have ever purchased.  We had a glass company cut a hole in the roof for the removable sunroof everyone had back then and we drove that thing on vacations to the east coast and all over for five years.  I really had no complaints except it was starting to rust and you could tell it was an especially aggressive rust.  You got a stone chip and it would expand in ever widening rings like some kind of metallic ring worm.  I sold it real cheap to a young kid starting a family.  Despite all this sentimentality, I still wouldn't pay more than about $2500.00 for a mint one now, and that's high because of all the warm fuzzy memories.