cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Is this funky AM Van the greatest AMC that never was?

This lil' red box may look like an overgrown Hot Wheels, but it's actually a real-deal, crowd-pleasing concept car built by American Motors (AMC), with styling not by Mattel but by legendary designer Dick Teague. Back in the late 1970s, it showed off AMC's design chops on tour and hinted at the future of the company.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/is-this-funky-am-van-the-greatest-amc-that-never-was/
56 REPLIES 56
Corvettebaggs
Intermediate Driver

I like it. 👍🏻 Too somewhat quote Harry Chapin's song, Taxi:
It was somewhere in a fairy tale,
I use to take her home in my car.
We learned about love in the back of a Gremlin,
I wish we would have had, this car.
PSuomela
Pit Crew

I’d love it!
majorbob
Intermediate Driver

It is hideous and would never make to my garage.
Jr1
Intermediate Driver

Headlights, Grill, and bumper from a Vega. The car looks quite nice, and I would buy one.
ThePorscheMan
Detailer

HUGE fan of this and the Brubaker box which preceded it. Just friggin' love 'em both!
AMX1969
Pit Crew

I always laugh when I read articles like this and the author will say, "AMC merged into Chrysler" or something like that when the truth is Chrysler took over AMC in a hostile takeover after buying out Renaults portion of the company.
SilentBoy741
Instructor

Yeah, for $72,000, I'm gonna need a drivetrain in there. That being said, the design cues are actually really good... except for the headlights. A perfect opportunity to drop in some flip-up headlights and really smooth out that front profile. Would've made a huge difference.