cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

Is attention to detail the car enthusiasts curse?

It’s impossible to count the number of times I have overheard someone compliment how well a door closes on a car. It’s something that’s mundane to most people and has no bearing on how well a car does its job as a mode of transportation, yet enthusiasts collectively nerd out over minute details like this. To me, that might be one of the best things about our community. It is also the downfall of my personal sanity.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/is-attention-to-detail-the-car-enthusiasts-curse/

61 REPLIES 61
Intermediate Driver

Know exactly what you mean Kyle, but I have to disagree with your observation "I did five hours of labor and, technically, I didn’t make the truck any better." You certainly did make the truck better and by renewing those simple things, gave yourself a little more pride and appreciation for your truck.

My wife hates the level of OCD that I have about our vehicles. I just spent the last 2 weeks chasing down a small rattle in my daily driver that was coming from the rear drivers side door. Door panel off, back on, back off, tightening bolts, hinges, you know the drill. Finally found it where the door catch was being held by the striker plate. A little grease and job finally done......My wife said she couldn't ever hear it........which is why when repairs are having to be made to her car, they usually involve more costly issues because she never notices them until it's too late.

You've got a point. I guess I could clarify I didn't make the truck any better at it's utilitarian purpose of being a vehicle.

We think alike, you and I. It seems like our significant others would get along too! 

Pit Crew

I share your agravation with people who remove the factory air box and, all too often, replace it with something that is not as good. The hot air intakes really bother me! 

New Driver

I had to laugh at the "new-to-me" point... that's another car nut quirk:  new vs "new".  Last year, I sold my 2006 Expedition when I found a great deal on a 2008 Expedition. Most of my friends were confused when they found out my "new" Expedition was 11 years old...

Passenger

When I was in grad school I bought a ‘49 Chevrolet 3600. After cleaning the oil bath air cleaner, I decided that job was a messy waste, so I chucked it, and put on a chrome aftermarket piece. It’s worked fine since 1978, but I sure wish I had kept the original. I would have put it back on years ago and dealt with the mess. 

Pit Crew

I think that's a pretty nice looking pickup truck and not Rusty either like we usually see here in Michigan!

Passenger

I'm with you on 'obsessing' over details - I just picked up a 2000 Silverado and have a long list of details to attend to, including the door hinge pins! I went as far as to source a replacement interior (graphite leather, dash & door panels, console) because I wasn't happy with the current, well-worn interior. The truck drives just fine, but I know it could be better...

Intermediate Driver

A buddy & I are always trading that quip: "it's a blessing AND a curse". But proper operation & appearance, even of what many consider insignificant details, are to Us, The Afflicted a large part of the whole, and the experience, of using the vehicle. It's a sensory thing as much as being proper, sympathetic, and pro-active. As a result, I could get in my 206,000-mile '93 Pathfinder and take it across the Country right-freakin'-now if I had the urge, instead of taking one of my other cars...which get the same fussiness, but less exposure. Yeah, I stay busy (laughing icon)...

Pit Crew

KY, a little help here for the readers. Chevy trucks and Vettes from the late 50's until about 10 years ago had this problem, not every one but many. I've had many of both and I was taught this trick by a friend. Take a large drift pin and knock out the pins one at a time using whatever is available to assist in supporting the door. Use a grinder to remove all rust and whatever on the pin, use emery cloth rolled up to do the same for the inside of the hinge tube, lube both liberally with WD-40. Do all the same upper and lower. It's worked for me many times. The best I can figure is that Chevy truck and Vette doors are longer or heavier than others and the ailment only manifests itself regularly in these modules. I would guess they all rust a bit and accumulate the same crud, it just doesn't play out the same.   Jim