cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Internal combustion engines are alive and well ... in the water | Hagerty Media

Multiple automakers have set their course to have entire electric-only product lines. You wouldn't be called crazy to think the internal combustion engine appears to be in its final years-you would, however, be wrong. The internal combustion engine is alive and well; it's just in the water, not on the asphalt.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/marine/internal-combustion-engines-are-alive-and-well-in-the-water/
19 REPLIES 19
CFH
Intermediate Driver

Obviously, it has to go into a '32 Roadster.
Swamibob
Technician

I'm in! I think one needs four of these and build a new version of Tommy Ivo's Riviera Wagon Master! Need more pics of the engine, by itself, for gearheads. 🙂
Tim
Technician

Wow, I would love to see a video of these in action. I'm sure they'll sound different and somewhat muted compared to a road engine, but that would be offset by hearing multiple motors running simultaneously. Four at once?! Whoa!
Ric_Rabbit
Pit Crew

A 600 hp outboard sounds likes the perfect motor for an 18' bass boat.
GRP_Photo
Instructor

That 1,200 pounds would make your bass boat a submarine.
GRP_Photo
Instructor

I think it would be a lot better to use one of their inboard units. They have a 550 CID inboard that puts out 1350hp on 91 octane gas. It's also designed to be mounted horizontally instead of vertically, so the lubrication system should be trouble-free.
Kyle

True, that would make things a lot easier. Mercury's V-8 I/O engines captured my attention a few years ago. Some really cool stuff going on over there.
bshorey
New Driver

Research is hard.

"While automotive engine development is stagnating, Mercury Marine recently announced a naturally-aspirated, 600-horsepower Verado V-12. That’s something that isn’t happening the automotive world anytime soon."

"Powering the current Ferrari 812 Superfast is a 6.5-liter naturally-aspirated V12 engine that pumps out an impressive 789 hp and 530 lb-ft (718 Nm) of torque. "
TinaBird
Intermediate Driver

And how about the naturally aspirated Aston Martin Valkyrie V12 that makes 1,000 hp!
Granted it’s at 11,000 rpm but still, I’d say that is quite a feat. So it seems the automotive world may be at least keeping up with marine...
25aniv
Intermediate Driver

I want one of these hanging off the jack plate of my 21' Checkmate Starflite! It would totally be tail wagging the dog (and, realistically, sunken). But! Its mechanical coolness so i can twist a justification in there somewhere if i think hard enough. It would definitely take some getting used to not seeing the whole engine turn when steering though!
gli48
Intermediate Driver

Perfect way to turn my 23' pontoon boat into a low flying aircraft! Seriously though, no mention of the twin counter-rotating props on the lower unit? No torque-steer from these baby's. Perfect for a larger front engine car like a Accord Coupe.
TinaBird
Intermediate Driver

Super cool! Is the entire outboard 1200 lbs or just the engine itself? If it’s just the engine like the article seems to indicate, that’s some heft.
Would keeping this thing cool under the hood of a car be a challenge since it was designed to be kept cool using a rather large radiator (e.g. a lake or ocean)?
Kyle

From what I gather, that is the entire unit (engine, transmission, and outdrive)
Corkola
Intermediate Driver

I have seen a yacht's service boat with five 450 HP Mercs hanging off the back end. The owner of that yacht will be the target customer for this engine, not me. The really sad thing is that even if I won an average size lottery I couldn't afford that boat....or a Ferrari SWB.
I would certainly love to see, and hear, one of these engines in action.
But I have questions: What is the boat in the lead off photo? What is the thing just in front of the engines?
Papa-tony
Intermediate Driver

The "thing" just forward of the engines appears to be a 6 hole cupholder and also acts as a handrail or a "guard" so people don't fall between the engines. Just past the platform going forward there just might a cooler or BBQ on the starboard side and possibly another rear facing seat on the port side.

If you save the foto to your laptop and expand it I think you will agree.
Vcdoorco4
Intermediate Driver

Maybe convert a Murano convertible into an amphicar with this motor. Might look more at home in the water.
spoom
Technician

Actually, the outboard engine industry has taken a near-fatal beating over the last decade or so, from high fuel prices especially. A good example is Bombardier which bought the bankruptcy assets Outboard Marine Corporation (Johnson/Evinrude outboards) and moved into a new plant in Wisconsin but finally got out of the outboard business last year. Like Mercury, they had some innovative ideas and made some great engines but there isn't even enough of a market in the US to support both Merc & BRP anymore. Don't know if it's right or wrong but if you look at the various transoms in your local marina you will find tons of foreign brand outboards hanging off them, which diluted the local industry to the point where only one could survive. Don't know if it's still the case, but the smaller engines of the
"American" company's ended up being made in Mexico and Pacific Rim countries for a long long time now, just to make them viable economically in competition with the foreign makers.
In the very near future, you'll probably have to be a liberal politician to have gas outboards on a boat.
Zephyr
Instructor

Actually, powering a land vehicle with an outboard motor has already been done. Back in the beginning days of go-karts there was a more or less "unlimited" class (class C?) that used the 4 cylinder water cooled engine from a Konig outboard (a German brand). I think it was at least 250cc, possibly 400cc? They had a distinctive sound as the excessive horsepower caused the back end of the kart to jump up and down at high speed, making it sound like a hydroplane.
Tinkerah
Engineer

I'm not a boat guy but I'm intrigued by the mechanical marvels of the counter rotating props and swiveling drive. Many moving parts that all have to stay lubricated while submerged. If only salt water was an effective lubricant....