cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Insider Insight: Millennials' favorite motorcycle probably isn't what you think | Hagerty Media

Riding a powerful and dangerous machine is, let's face it, in many ways a young person's game. That, along with the fact that bikes are generally more attainable than cars and are relatively easy to store, makes them very popular among millennials. Yet misconceptions about young motorcycle collectors persist.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/hagerty-insider/insider-insight-millennials-favorite-mot...
8 REPLIES 8
Cars4us
Pit Crew

Never have I felt like a statistic before until reading this article. I'm a millennial at 32 years old and own a pre-war Harley in my collection. Through success in entrepreneurship I've been extremely fortunate to afford some of my dream cars housed in my current collection but motorcycles have always been the forbidden fruit in my family growing up. Naturally I bought the baddest Harley I could get my hands on when I flew the coup and became financially independent. Today I own just as many collectible motorcycles as I do collectible cars and looking at the graph I'm clearly in the statistic of millennials paying $40k+ for a pre-war bike. Mine being a fully restored '42 Harley UL which also came with a equally beautifully restored '46 Goulding side car. I'm proud to be invited to display it at this summers Concours d'Elegance at St. John's in Plymouth, MI.
win59
Detailer

older, boomer chickens lived in coops. The Greatest Gen chickens were often found in abandoned '32 coups though....
😉
Rick2
Detailer

I noticed that perhaps both with cars and motorcycles the millennials don't have the same perception of values us old guys have. We have the handicap of hopefully being able to remember when some of these collectables were a dime a dozen. I should have started a collection when I was much younger!
Solosolo
Intermediate Driver

I have owned a 1925 JE Harley, 1941 WL, a 1943 WL, and a 1981 Low Rider and for my money they were all rubbish. The British 1956 Triumph Tiger 110, 1958 Tiger 110, 1956 BSA Gold Star 500cc were ten times the bike that the Harleys' were. I have owned a further 45 motorcycles since then including British, Italian, German, French, Checkoslovakian, Japanese and even Chinese manufactured bikes, and it has never crossed my mind to buy another Harley.
DT
Detailer

Always nice to see the Harley Bashers chime in. In my opinion Anyone who would rather have a Chinese anything over something American made can't really be taken seriously.
Tinkerah
Technician

"Bashing" may be too strong a term but it's hard to deny that unless you need the prestige of a Harley Davidson you'll get a better value from any other make. Yes, Harleys have an undeniable charm that can't be measured in specs. I've owned several (and they were good ones), enjoyed them for what they were but don't miss them. I have no experience with Victory but I understand this upstart American builder is beating H-D in every way.
uweschmidt
Detailer

yes Harley really do have their place in RidersHearts in North America and rightly so but in other parts of the world Big singles reign Supreme what a Wonderful World of Diversity T each his own to be politically correct: to each her own too!!!!
SuperDeLuxe
Detailer

Hmm, $40K for a vehicle that can be taken seriously at a Concours d'Elegance? Snobs beware, the commoners may have found a way to crash the party. Harleys are every bit the equal to British bikes, we're talking aesthetics here, not the flying mile. For the record, people under 30 are not Millennials, strange but the most reviled generation might have acquired a bit of sophistication that is a little hard to acknowledge for those of us a fee years senior -