cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Insider Insight: Does paint color really impact value? | Hagerty Media

Choosing a car color is a near universal experience-and a mundane one for most. More than three out of every four cars sold in North America last year were white, black, silver, or gray, according to chemical company BASF. Yet for those of us who see cars as part of our identity, paint color is something more.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/hagerty-insider/insider-insight-does-paint-color-really-...
7 REPLIES 7
MikeD
Pit Crew

First hand experience that color does affect value. About 20 years ago I was in the market for a used Mustang GT Convertible. The first one I saw was bright blue with a silver interior. Loved the car, couldn't live with the color. Ended up buying an identical one, black on black. After i bought it. I noticed that the blue one stayed on the market for weeks longer, finally selling for less than what I paid for the black one.
Sajeev
Community Manager

They don't call it "Resale Red" for no reason! 

JasonFromCT
Pit Crew

Very cool John. Interested in how your study isolated color as a factor. Were you able to account for other contributing factors like body style, transmission, condition, options (limited slip), service history?

I assume it’s Red for Ferraris btw.
Flashman
Technician

I love my green Porsche 'cause you don't see very many of 'em around.
DaveB
Intermediate Driver

has there been any study on Dodge Challenger / Charger models and their use of selective High Impact colors? Thinking this would be a more rea life example for most.
rocketvox
New Driver

I really wish it were this simple. Which color Porsches sell for more? In fact, greens generally bring the greatest premiums as do blue shades. In all air-cooled 911's. Meaning, the questions and answers are just more complicated. Are we talking about Porsche paint to sample cars or are we talking about standard production colors? Are we talking about newer cars (e.g. 2013 to present) or older Porsches such as 993s and older? Try looking for the price of a Mint Green Porsche 964 relative to a standard black 964. Or a Blue Turquoise 993 vs a red 993. Unfortunately, you won't find a green or blue one for sale because they are that rare. Not to mention a purple shade. And if you find one, you'll likely be dealing direct with the owner and not an auction. They don't come up for sale that often unless it's a Japan auction or a German car. But, a standard "midnight blue" colored 993 will never sell for anything close to a Riviera blue 993. So, in terms of the high water marks, greens and blues are generally the highest value along with purple.
vegavairbob
Pit Crew

Certain colors look better on certain cars. Red on Corvettes and E types, Green and Brown on 911s.I recently bought a 65 Corvair Turbo convt. There was a red with black interior for sale in Canada and a white with red interior in Calif. (both restored and both the same price) I passed on the red one. When I saw the white one a week later, I bought it on the spot. It's best to buy what you like. I would never buy a yellow car no matter the value.