cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Insider Insight: Can web traffic predict a price rise for a classic car? | Hagerty Media

The connection between one's eyeballs and one's wallet is well founded. It explains everything from the ancient advertisements that survive among the ruins of Pompeii to Google's current market capitalization of $1.38 trillion. However, what about something more specific: Does an increase in a car's popularity on the internet correlate to future increases in value?
https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/hagerty-insider/insider-insight-can-web-traffic-predict-...
3 REPLIES 3
OldRoad
Instructor

Remember the song "Making Love in a Subaru"? The 360 was the car in the lyrics.
RSorenson1
Intermediate Driver

Had to be small people or contortionists.
CJinSD
Instructor

I just read a May 1969 Car and Driver review of the Subaru 1000 Sports, which was a Japanese-market, elevated-performance variant of the FF-1/Star that would be sold in the US the following year. Essentially, the Subaru 1000 served as a template for the car that would grow into the Leone, Loyale and Impreza in later years. When it wasn't available in the US, Car and Driver made it sound like a near-perfect combination of sports car zip and sedan practicality. All they said it needed was "twenty pounds of sound deadening and another thirty days in the suspension laboratory." It turns out this was a shameless attempt to cultivate FOMO in the readership, as the next positive review of a Subaru's driving characteristics occurred well over a decade after cars like the 1000 became available to Americans. They did say that, "what needs to be done now is to persuade Subaru to bury the 360, which is nothing short of a mechanical chamber pot, in a convenient watermelon patch and start importing the 1000 Sports to the USA." I feel like there should be a sic in there, but I'm not sure where. Convenient watermelon patch?