cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

In this long-lost interview, Steve McQueen talks "Le Mans", "Bullitt", and Gulf blue | Hagerty Media

For nearly four decades, Steve McQueen's 1980 talk with student reporter Richard Kraus has been considered to be the great actor's final, and most charming, interview. The brief chat, which occurred on the set of The Hunter, McQueen's final film, reveals a man who is already coming to grips with the impact and weight of his legacy as both an actor and a man of action in his own right.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/people/in-this-long-lost-interview-steve-mcqueen-talks-le-mans-bullitt...
23 REPLIES 23
Ditch
New Driver

You got until the very end.. you guys are kinda mean.
Well done.
JeffWeimer
Pit Crew

Well played.
FloridaMarty
Intermediate Driver

I liked Steve McQueen better before reading this interview, what an ass!

flynfink
New Driver

you do know what day it is , right??
Bartman442
New Driver

A book, even fictitious, is not "entitled", it is titled.
Jack_Hagerty

Guilty as charged!
DaveA
Detailer

Ha! Here I was thinking “man, that Steve McQueen was a real jerk.”

Well played, Hagerty.
FatBabyDriver
Intermediate Driver

Getting an interview with Steve McQueen must be a real Catch-22.
Jack_Hagerty

Well, you know, the interview was originally supposed to be undertaken by R.O. Shipman.
DaveB
Intermediate Driver

wow
umm a bit gruff?
drhino
Instructor

Interesting playing him as a jerk that really doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Especially as revered as he is.
CJinSD
Advanced Driver

Other than saying that Le Mans was organized by Fee-ah instead of Ack-oh, what else didn't "Steve" know what he was talking about?
Tinkerah
Technician

I was beginning to worry about his obsession with urinal cakes.
Tsaxman
Detailer

Well, played, Baruth. You scurrilous bastid.
win59
Detailer

What is the old saying about "...meeting your heroes.."?!

Nice one Jack!! LOL!
b_l_newman
Pit Crew

I got all the way to toilet cakes. Damn you guys.
Swamibob
Instructor

Love it! Happy April Fool's day!
Driver79
New Driver

I got about 4 paragraphs of McQueen's responses into this before clearly realizing that it was an April Fool's "joke." While other commenters have disagreed, I, personally, found it neither clever nor amusing. Frankly, I find it in bad taste - disrespectful of McQueen's memory and legacy.
Al
Intermediate Driver

Jack didn't write one negative word about EV's? It must be April 1st
tommykat1
Pit Crew

Sounds like McQueen was having a bad day and took it out on the poor interviewer, who got the interview of a lifetime--if you can call it that. He didn't even have to ask a question to elicit multiple jaw-dropping responses!
JackBurton
New Driver

That was so good, Jack. You had me until I got to "urinal cake"! So good.
OldRoad
Instructor

Saw Le Mans at the the FOX downtown at age ten. Hearing the audio of the 917K at full song was a heart stopping experience for my young head at that time. The acoustics at the old FOX theater were years ahead of it's time. I guess they had to be, built in the 20s before the talkies, used to have an orchestra pit. Filled it with seats when the talkies arrived. Beautiful theater. Where I fell in love with the 917K. Beautiful machine.
DUB6
Technician

Joke interview or no joke interview, he was in some of my favorite movies - LeMans being one of the best, and Tom Horn being another - so I'm gonna be a fan even if it was serious and he was being a jerk.  The guy sure lived by his own rules.

PS - it wasn't facetious to comment about the hubcaps in Bullitt...it was the gospel truth!

😋