cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

In the big picture, how important are the cars and the garage space? | Hagerty Media

I've written quite a bit over the years in these digital pages about my space issues, how for 15 years I had a rusting, leaning, corrugated-metal, single-car garage, and how in 2005 we tore it down and had a 17 x 31-foot garage built that's attached to the back of the house.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/the-hack-mechanic/in-the-big-picture-how-important-are-the-car...
27 REPLIES 27
Flashman
Instructor

You have to love an article that uses a word like "quaternion". You're also doing well with the unhappy adult problem of doing what you love vs. doing what you can tolerate because it pays well.
MoparMan
Advanced Driver

Rob: I feel your pain, and although it hurts me to say it, sooner or later the realization will settle in that your just have TOO MANY cars! I was afflicted in like manner with a collection of vintage Mopars, and after finally accepting the fact that I had more calendar pages behind me than in front, I started to downsize. The '66 Sport Fury was the first to go, followed by the 340 Challenger that I rescued from a junkyard and SWORE that I would keep forever! After having it parked 10+ years awaiting a restoration, I realized that it had to go. Currently I'm down to 6 vehicles, two of which reside in the garage, one under the shed beside the garage, two under the carport, and one that sits out in the elements. And yet, I keep perusing old car sites, looking for that next special one, LOL!! 🙂
buellerdan
Intermediate Driver

Step 1: Admit you have a problem.
denali94
Intermediate Driver

Good thought but the real Step 1 is to identify the problem. As Rob states, some (myself included) would view it as a space problem; others might call it a car problem.
BMD4800
Instructor

Rule #1: never take a wife’s side against a member of the club.
Vauxhall
Pit Crew

Man, I'm glad that I am not the only person with the infectious car/space disease. Like you I tried to sell an 1981 Lancia Zagato, a running driving car for what I would consider little money in this day and age, but the reserve was not reached. Now where do I put my 1958 Goliath Tiger?

Keep the dream as it helps in hard times. Even if you never reach it your sanity may be saved from reality.
Stevewo
New Driver

Had a similar issue too many cars and too many rented garages and spaces - three years ago I bought 5 acres out of town and built a 40x80 machine shed. Now it’s not big enough! Thinking of adding a couple of lifts now!
Rick2
Detailer

Some would say that you do have a problem, like to many cars! But I understand because I have been there. right now I am down to a Beetle, a 300SL and a Moto Guzzi because I do not want to park anything outside. But when I decide my working days are over and clean out my shop I will have room for three or four more. That is if prices don't go crazier then they already are.
Jfslater98
Intermediate Driver

My low grade BaT addiction has started to show the poor quality seams of my "plan". A garageless situation in crowded suburbia does not create a satisfying restoration process. I am now in the process of letting go of a C5 FRC at a price I will regret years from now. Rob's discussed this recently.. I have a basement full of Corvette interior, a needy W126 and dwindling time reserves. Wish I had a garage. Wish I had the time. And on it goes...
356A
New Driver

First World Problem

thehackmechanic
Detailer

Oh, totally.
CitationMan
Instructor

Just a thought from a retired guy. Sell enough of your cars to make a marked change in the amount of free time you have. You might be very surprised at the positive changes in your life that flow from that. FYI, it’s very refreshing to have the time for new “sensory experiences”.
Swamibob
Instructor

Well Rob:

First: I need to congratulate you for using 'quaternion' in your article. It's always good learn new terms from Irish mathematicians. Second: My name is Tom and I have a car problem... Said no car guy that I can remember. 🙂
You are living in a time of plenty my friend! I say, enjoy it. Regarding selling Hampton, or possibly other cars, you could find a dealership, for specialty cars that would be willing to take your car in and store it while they sell it. I've done this several times with cars I was moving on from and it worked very well for me. Yes, it does cast a percentage or so, but it's not in your driveway, and it's safe indoors until it sells.
samurai1833
New Driver

Nice problems to have! I sold two of my seven, not including the motorcycles in order to scale down, I'm going to haul my old covered trailer to the dump to free another space, (I can't find the title and I'm using it as a pool/lawn-tool storage shed) And, built a gravel drive along the side of my home where the RV lives. I'm out of the game until I sell something. Mine aren't investments though, I drive the hell out em' Cheers!
RickL
Intermediate Driver

Hey, whenever my wife says, "Do you really need five cars?", I always show her an article that you have written. Thanks for saving me explaining to her the "sickness" that some of us endure, or maybe it is our spouses that endure it?
BMD4800
Instructor

My response: do we really need 13 pillows on the couch?

The were 14, but a dog and the pillow had a rendezvous, so the pillow went away.
thehackmechanic
Detailer

Don't get me started on pillows...
1956meteor
Intermediate Driver

When covid started I had a 1956 Meteor Niagara, two door hardtop, Canadian only car and one of only 600 made, a 1969 Torino convertible I restored in the early 2000's, a 1985 Greenwood Corvette, a 1989 Corvette convertible and a 1994 ford F150 short box. The Meteor went to Sweden last August, the Greenwood to a fellow a couple of hours away last September, the Torino a couple of hours in the other direction shortly afterwards and just yesterday , the 89 vert sold locally. This leaves me with the truck, which is promised to my son eventually , and no more storage costs, and a now empty single garage . Tomorrow I am buying a 2016 Kia Sorento for my wife as the 2011 she has been driving is approaching 300,000 km and altho still running strong, it is time to help a person out needing a cheap ride. I am and will always be a car addict but will have to satisfy my craving with towing my friends rides on my til n load. I owned over a 100 cars since age 15, I am turning 65 in a few weeks, I have done my share. 🙂
TG
Instructor

My garage has three available bays, but #3 never had the overhead door installed and was covered with tin siding when I bought the place. I stud-walled it in so I would have some actual storage space in my garage - then I went and bought more cars and put in a carport. That is where I put the brakes on - and for good reason. I have 5 total - one 'under construction' and the four drivers. I can cycle through the four drivers without ever encountering one with a dead battery, and I can keep them up and still have time for #5... and that's the key for me. I don't want garage trophies or tomorrow's barn finds. If I'm not driving them and keeping them maintained, it is time to make some hard decisions
BMD4800
Instructor

I reached a peak of 7, plus a company car. Then girlfriend transitioned to wife and down came the hammer. The ultimatum hammer, sell all but 2. 1 old one, 1 new(er) one.
We had a little heart to heart and agreed to sell the square body K20 and an old Buick. Later, Malibu.
Now, I’m back up to 5, plus her’s.
Even if I only had her dream of 1 old car and 1 newer one, I’d miss out on the project aspect. Once they are done, that’s great. But the process.

So it is with space. We’re waiting out a commercial building to rent. Then, I’ll keep some there, some here, and get her back in the garage.
TheModelCitizen
Intermediate Driver

My "solution" would be to put all the cars up for sale and when you have sold enough to be right sized again, you can quit selling. I used this technique with my collection of antique stuff.
DougL
Intermediate Driver

Recently there was an auction near my home. The guy had about 40 acres and probably near 200 cars on the property. Most had deteriorated to far worse condition than they were when the guy purchased them, and sold for pennies on the dollar. You could become that guy!
SJ
Instructor

Get rid of all those junkers and get 2-3 good ones.
zmega
Pit Crew

Rob, you are a man after my own heart. Sadly, I recently had to downsize my collection due to a move to a condo. The idea of renting garage space sounds appealing, though.
tommykat1
Intermediate Driver

On the bright side, it could always be worse, Rob. I have a friend who has a similar problem with Jaguars, PLUS a sport plane addiction. His garage fits three cars, but his RV-8 kit plane takes up all the hanger space at the air strip.
Mark_Toro
New Driver

One of the reasons that I started “resuscitating “ old cars for friends. I get to enjoy the rebuild process and see the joy on their faces when they can use an old friend again. And I don’t need to store it when I’m done. Icing on the cake is that they pay for parts!
Gary_Bechtold
Technician

I'd like to have some land so that I can start a car addiction/problem. :^) Seriously though, land is probably doable out there somewhere for me but I don't have the budget for much in the way of cars so that probably nips that problem in the bud. I have thought of moving out simply so I can escape HOA controlled Suburbia.