cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In five years, the Porsche 911 as we know it will seem “unique,” says North American CEO

Last week, we had the chance to speak with Porsche North America CEO Klaus Zellmer about a charity auction for the final 991-generation Porsche 911, a historic-liveried Speedster. During that conversation, he hinted at big changes ahead for the Porsche 911, and he reflected back on the 991 generation with a fascinating perspective about its place in the model lineage.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/in-five-years-porsches-current-911-is-going-to-seem-unique-says-n...

Replies (15)

Replies (15)

I own a naturally aspirated 991 2012. Love the feel and control on the engine.  Previously to that had my first 911 as a 996, and what a roar that was too! I think he is correct, the generation will look back and miss the combustible 911. Values and appreciation may take off after full electrification starts. I understand electrification is inevitable across the industry; it's just more efficient and better technology.  BUT it simplifies the automobile so much that it truly takes the "mechanical " feel of it completely.  You're no longer riding on a complex piece of machinery with thousands of parts synchronized to give you the desired output, but rather you're now getting a "golf cart" plug and play automobile.  In the future the appreciation of fast acceleration will no longer be a standard to measure anymore because electric motors will make it much easier to do that. You'll just enjoy a nice "hum" and take more appreciation for precise handling and feel instead.  Just my opinion but I think the 911 will always retain its prestige as the world's best and most practical sports car. 

Passenger

This is confusing. I owned two Carrera 991 Porsches, a 2014 and 2015. Neither were turbocharged.  Is the article incorrect or am I? Case in point, my 2019 991.2 Carrera T does have the base 370 hp turbocharged engine.

New Driver

Long live the internal combustion engine with it's exhaust note.......

Passenger

I tiptoed into the Porsche culture a couple years ago after 30+ years as a diehard Corvette guy. I got tired of waiting for the C8 Vette and stumbled onto a used 2016 base Cayman, in perfect condition at a great price -- the last year of the 6 cylinder motor in the Cayman. It was a wonderful experience! The Porsche design is almost perfectly optimized for the driver experience. I enjoyed that car so much, when I saw a used 2017 991 Carrera 4S (991.2) with less than 10K miles and a lot more (turbocharged) power I jumper into the deep end of the Porsche experience. The only question I ask my myself now is why I waited to long to try a Porsche!

Passenger

Patrick Long drove a 911 Hybrid GT3 RSR at Petit LeMans in 2012 (I think) in a special class and did quite well.  A lot of us 911 guys thought that was acceptable - flat 6 sound with extra electric power.  I do not think the world is ready for a BEV 911, no matter how quick it is.  Maybe I'm wrong about that, just like old coots griping about water cooled engines, electric throttles and steering, and few stick shifts, but a sports car is impractical so it may as well be fun to drive.

New Driver

I'm afraid Porsche can keep its electric vehicles.  I'll keep with my NA 3.6 993 powered speedster.

New Driver

Every Porsche is better than the next!

Intermediate Driver

Bring on the 100%, no 1/2 measures !

Intermediate Driver

A hybrid 911?  Might not be so bad, as long as the hybridization goes towards better performance, as in certain supercar hybrids.  An all-electric 911?  Not sure I ever want to see that, even if gas-engine 911's remain available. 

Intermediate Driver

Nothing will replace the feel, sound and smell of a flat 6 Porsche taking command of the road

New Driver

I prefer my Aqua Blue 2016 911 Carrera 4 GTS with 430hp, glass roof, duck tail & 20" black center locks. The last production year of the naturally aspirated Porsche car.

Passenger

I think my 997.2 GT3 has a little too much technology onboard. The 991 is a beautiful car, but too much tech to really grab my dollars. The 992 is hideous and moving towards even more tech that I'm not interested in. Hopefully Porsche is able find a new generation of fans that doesn't include me, or they will go out of business with their new direction.

Passenger

It was starting with the 992 that the standard Carrera was turbocharged, not the 991.

Passenger

Unlike Mr Claus Zellmer, I know almost exactly what the 911 generation after the 992 will look like. It will look almost exactly like the 992. I can't predict anything else, though 🙂

Passenger

I hope they don't ruin it...

New Driver