cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

I hereby crown myself the Patina Czar

Long story short, my Skoda Favorit project is heading to the scrap pile after some massive, ahem, structural surprises. When the guy with a field of derelict Ladas said, “Du musst schweissen”—meaning “you must weld”—I trusted there would be something to which I could weld. My mistake!

Perhaps I should me more willing to lay in mud puddles to facilitate actually looking underneath a car rather than hoping for that best. (That’s a growth area for me.) I had nightmares of spending dozens of hours getting a MIG tan, only to receive a firm “Nein” at the German roadworthiness inspection station. When it was clear the Skoda would never be right again, I hung up the angle grinder. The silver lining to this highly oxidized misstep: I have a free spot in the garage.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/i-hereby-crown-myself-the-patina-czar/

14 REPLIES 14
New Driver

No pictures of that dash?

Intermediate Driver

Dash photos coming!

Detailer

Love it.

I would have suggested just cutting the shell of the Skoda and putting it on another underbody Frankenstein-style, but having learned of the TUV (from Mighty Car Mods) I understand why you scrapped it and moved on.

Your new acquisition could probably live another life as a movie extra car if you decide to move it along  --assuming someone wants to ship it.

Intermediate Driver

Hey, I just saw your comment regarding the car being a potential movie extra. That's a fantastic idea. Perhaps when I've had my fun with it here, I'll send it to hang with my junk stash in the US. They do film a lot of movies in Charleston, SC...

Intermediate Driver

@Pepperalls I'm totally with you! If I were still in South Carolina and there was only one Favorit and there was no TÜV, I would've just blasted the undercarriage with square stock chromoly  and home made flooring. But I watched a few videos of how it needs to be done here and for small repairs, the overlapping joints are totally doable. But for factory quality large scale repairs it would've depleted the global stocks of spot weld drill bits.  

New Driver

Great story, well-told!

Intermediate Driver

Thanks! Tried to do the little car justice.

Pit Crew

The Moskvich has a slightly better reputation than a Trabant, but I still like my Trabis better.

Intermediate Driver

That's very cool. I would love a Trabbi at some point. I had always heard it the other way around - that the Trabbi was a bit easier to live with than the Moskvich. But either way, they aren't exactly battling it out for the top step of the podium.

Pit Crew

Well, you're certainly not going to find another one of these any time soon.  Great project, get it driving, blow the dust off and start picking up groceries and enjoy the shocked looks. 'Was ist das?' 

Intermediate Driver

That's exactly the plan! I want to repair/replace the bare minimum and keep as much as possible of the existing outward appearance. Can't wait to start driving it. 

New Driver

Another great DDR "barn finds" story from Matt Anderson.  He is a kindred spirit; I share his deep interest in Eastern Bloc vehicles and live vicariously through his adventures.  What's next?  A Skoda Felicia convertible?  An ex-Stasi black Volga sedan?  The Barkas van?  A Wartburg Knight or Tourist?  An ex-Vopo open Trabant?  Keep the stories coming!

Intermediate Driver

That's awesome to hear! I've started cracking into the 407 and am trying to get it on the road as fast as possible...before I get distracted by something else. I have my eye on a Wartburg 353 at the local junkyard.

Hagerty Employee

Love this saga so much. Excited to read more!