cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Huge result for low-mile IROC-Z puts third-gen Camaros in the conversation | Hagerty Media

What could be cooler than a minty-fresh IROC Camaro? Not much if we're being completely honest. This 440-mile 1989 IROC-Z caught our eye when it showed up on Bring a Trailer auctions because of its low miles and preserved condition, but even more impressive is how much bidders were willing to pay for it.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/huge-result-for-low-mile-iroc-z-puts-third-gen-camaros-i...
21 REPLIES 21
JustinSchroder
Intermediate Driver

Such a shame so many of these cars have automatic transmissions. Rumor has it these handled well for the period. They sure look good too!
Greg_I
Advanced Driver

Yes, they are quite rare with a manual. You couldn't even get a manual with the 350, you had to settle for a 305 if you wanted to row your own gears. Had they offered a 350, 5-speed equipped 1LE, that would've been pretty killer. And yes, they really do handle pretty well for the era.

okfoz
Detailer

The Manual Transmission was only available with the 5.0 Liter or lesser engines. The reason why they did not offer the 5 Speed with the 5.7 Liter has been discussed et nauseum on thirdgen.org. Although I am not aware of an official reason, I believe it had to do with the fact that the 5.7 would have exceeded the maximum torque specifications for the transmissions, and that seems to ring true for those who have installed a 350 with the 5 Speed and had issues.
As far as Handling, I have seen numbers in the low .9 G on the skid pad. So even for today they handle quite well, and if you can get over the little rattles and squeaks of an 80's car, they are quite fun to drive.
okfoz
Detailer

Unfortunately the more attractive Firebirds have not caught on like the Camaro...
Rider79
Instructor

If that is true, it would be the exact opposite of the late 1970's, or the 1998-2002 era, from the prices I have noted.
Tcoradeschi
Intermediate Driver

I guess the one thing I struggle with is the "huge surge in ’80s nostalgia". Erm, not so much:-)
MisterTorgue
Intermediate Driver

@Tcoradeschi How so? RADwood is huge, the TV show Stranger Things is a total 80s nostalgia fest, the videogame Call of Duty Cold War plays on the 80s theme. We could go further if you like. I think that the statement is pretty factual.

Tcoradeschi
Intermediate Driver

Guess I'm just an old pharte:-) Not familiar with either the TV show or the video game (at least I've heard of the video game). From a cars perspective, not quite as crappy as the 70s were, but...

Rider79
Instructor

Depends on what group(s) you mingle with, or maybe what you read. 1980's nostalgia does, indeed, seem to be big, and growing. The 1950's is largely gone, 1960's may be waning, and the 1970's and 1980's are pretty hot right now.
silverado
Intermediate Driver

They look nice too bad they don't have any UMPH
sytydave
Pit Crew

They aren't that bad to drive.The TPI is a torquey engine. I know in old my TPI C4 Corvette it was very close 0-60 compared to the 300hp LT1 Corvette. I raced a couple of them at track, if would very close race until I shifted into 3rd.
cdg4ever
New Driver

I absolutely adore my 87 IROCZ convertible 5 speed (5.0), 87k original miles (20th anniversary edition), I did have it repainted with new decals 5 years ago, and it looks almost new. The thumbs up and looks that this car gets whenever I drive it demonstrates that there is a lot of appreciation for them. I even won a local car show as well "best camaro", beating out some 67-69 camaros. The car is fast and has great pick up for being from that era.. Granted, an LS3 motor would be great, but I have left it car as original as possible. There were only about 700 convertibles made in 87, I have only seen 1 other camaro like this one. I graduated high school in 1985 and I miss the eighties sometimes. These cars have gone up in appreciation and value in the last 10 years or so in particular. I certainly have had people try to buy mine several times, the answer I give them, "I'd have to be starving before I sell it". lol....
86TA
New Driver

I own a 1986 Trans Am from new with only 45K original

miles . I have to agree with you, every summer I take it out, I get thumbs up from kids walking across the street or even tuners going the opposite way.  Every time I take it out, get the old 80's tunes playing on the stereo and I am 18 again! Sure, I could go and get a 700 hp car, but there is no history or memories. There are things in life, money can't buy.  I have had offers, but I am still having too much fun. 

86TA

gr8t73
New Driver

There's no explaining an individual's personal likes. To each their own.
GC
Intermediate Driver

Always loved the IROC'S, and would still love to own one like this with the 350. They may not have been that fast compared to later machinery, but nothing else was at that time, either.
PurelyPMD
Intermediate Driver

It's an outlier, an anomaly, price is based solely on it's mileage. You folks seem to hop on the bandwagon whenever something like this happens but things go marching on. It wasn't too long ago where you signaled the end of the 3rd Gen price gains when my old 91 1LE Formula sold for only $9,000 at BJ Las Vegas but like this, there was a story there too, just not the one you knew. As usual, good cars get good prices and CRAZY low mile ones get CRAZY prices. Nothing new here, move along, nothing to see.
Cornbinder
Intermediate Driver

This isn't that much of an outlier. In July, Vanderbink auctions sold an original 1987 with 31k miles and T-tops for $28k on the hammer ($29,400 with fees) at a live (the high bidder was on-site) and online auction in Granger, Iowa. These aren't my cup of tea, but they are for others, and they are trending up if you look at other comp's out there.
Geok86
Advanced Driver

The original owner did not supplement the car with limited slip and 4 wheel discs...that was standard equipment.
CarManChris
Intermediate Driver

The cars to clean for that
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

When anyone speaks of the Gen 3 F-Cars, it must be remembered what else was out there when they arrived on the scene. They were very stylish, had a long list of options, great color choices to either exaggerate or understate their appearance, appropriate performance, comfort, and reliability. The styling, like their immediate predecessors the '70-'81 Gen 2's, were readily identifiable, and endured nearly as long. Combine that with a small-block Chevy, Hydramatic or Borg-Warner Trans, with performance versions sporting Posi, 4-wheel disc brakes, big (anti) roll bars, and stout springs and shocks; these things have, "Legs" looking down the road...

And Aftermarket? Whatever you wanted was available there, too...

As for anomalies like the low-mile, pristine example here; they exist, and some dot.com millionaire will pay up, just like he did for the Hot Wheels Dodge Deora he paid a Home Mortgage for...

What else can you cruise around town in, and be the envy of your neighbors, for short of $60k? A Ferrari, Lambo, Turbo Bentley, Porsche ANYTHING?

I certainly HOPE they continue to rise in price and popularity, as I am holding an '84 TA 5L HO, an '87 GTA 5L 5spd (both IMSA Firehawk Racers), and an '89 Turbo Pace Car...

'Good Luck', to ME!
Piper
Intermediate Driver

The T-tops and rear window louvers aren't upgrades for me. Pretty car.