cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How will Jeep respond to the 2021 Ford Bronco?

Ford came out swinging with the 2021 Bronco, there’s no doubt about it. This Jeep-fighter boasts impressive stats like deep crawl ratios and high approach and departure angles that have Ford fanatics eager to challenge Wranglers on the trail. Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/how-will-jeep-respond-to-the-2021-ford-bronco/

Replies (8)

Replies (8)

Jeep Wrangler: Win!  
Ford Bronco: Win!  
Chevy Blazer: Fail!

Pit Crew

Should we be concerned that car company's best ideas are 50 plus years old?  Broncos, jeeps, Challengers, Mustangs, Camaros.  No wonder Tesla is the most interesting and highest valued car company today.

Pit Crew

Neither offers a sufficient power plant.  The 3.6 pentastar is old, tired, and not strong enough to push a 4 door wrangler.  Once you add wheels, tires, custom bumpers and fenders, it's a 5,000 pound plus beast.  Mine with dana 60 axles is pushing 6,000.  A turbo with 400 lbs of torque sounds great, but it's only offered in an automatic (which I simply won't buy), and I'm curious where in the rev band it comes.  If most of that isn't available by 1,500 RPMs, it may be fun on the street, but won't be useful on obstacles.  It's also hard to put a snorkel on a turbo engine, and here in the east coast, wheeling almost always involves some water crossing and mud.  How will a turbo and it's electronics react to being wet or muddy?  An independent front suspension is going to make modification difficult, limits wheel travel and tire size.  Also, ask the 'yota guys about how strong those front driveshafts are.  I know guys that carry spares because they break so often.

Both jeep and ford miss the mark.  They are capable vehicles in stock form, but the majority of owners modify them.  Neither company seems to understand the market- just because it's cute and has off road capability, doesn't mean we like to be slower than a prius on the highway.  We're also clearly not buying the least aerodynamic vehicle on the road because we want fuel economy.  35" tires may be big on a stock vehicle, but they are small on the aftermarket.  all of these things lead me to a couple of conclusions: 1) they need to come with more power. 2) the body, frame, and suspension should be configured to allow the aftermarket to fit bigger rubber (I'm talking 44s, people).  3) The bigger engines and best options need to be coupled with a manual transmission.  4) the factory (especially jeep) should offer an upgraded axle option (Mopar itself offers bolt on dana 60s for the wrangler.  Why can't I buy one that way?).

New Driver

Both Ford and Jeep have loyal followers that probably don't crossover unless they've been burned by the brand. It will be interesting to see where new customers bring their money.

Intermediate Driver

I wish Ford the best of luck, it will be an uphill battle.  Pun intended.

Pit Crew

Seems like a lot of money is being spent to compete for a rather small market segment.

Detailer

I'd still rather have the Bronco. It just looks better in my humble opinion. And what about lifting the Bronco and adding even larger tires? That leaves the Jeep lagging behind again, but I guess any problem can be solved by throwing cubic money at it. As for the Bronco, Is there room in the engine compartment for a 5.0 or even a 6.2? I guess time will tell.

Phil in TX

New Driver

Honda and Toyota need to get in on this action! 

Intermediate Driver