cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to know if you are an automotive masochist

After shutting off the little blue roadster's ignition and walking into the house, the problem became cemented in my consciousness. My two-and-a-half-car garage was already holding two cars unfit to venture beyond my mailbox, along with three motorcycles that weren't faring much better. (My daily driver, a trusty Chevy pickup, was naturally relegated to the driveway.) Yet I was about to add one more car. Previously, any suspicion that I had a problem snoozed quietly in my subconscious. Suddenly, it sped to the front of my mind like a NHRA dragster.

I am an automotive masochist. Apparently, it took my most recent acquisition to confirm my self-diagnosis.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/entertainment/how-to-know-if-you-are-an-automotive-masochist/ 

75 REPLIES 75
Detailer

Nice looking garage! I was expecting it to be more like Freiburger's with the cars jammed in the mix [His garage as shown on his streaming shows is barely walkable between the parts piles and tool boxes. Not even sure he has a car in the one he calls "his garage"].

All your cars (and even bikes and I am not a bike person) look fun. Plus you have diversity which is more interesting to me.

I have my one road worthy car that was brought back from the dead. It's not done (most say it needs painted) but it functions well. I am steadily tempted to stuff several non-working things into the garage.

I moved along two parts trucks in the past couple of years because they were too big of projects for me to reasonably progress on in my current life phase. So I keep searching ads for a driver or almost-driver truck that I can play with but also show the spouse that it is indeed a real vehicle.

No guarantee the next thing I bring home isn't a wreck though.

There is still some space in there, but with keeping such an array of cars roadworthy there is also a decent sized stash of parts that eats up space pretty fast.

There is a carport on the side that the black Silverado lives in 90% of the time, and it just fits in there with a couple big shelves with the non-delicate spare parts. 

The only thing that gets me now is that in order to really work on anything, something has to move. I try to only strand one car at a time (on jack stands, or otherwise unmovable) so that means at any point I can get the other two out. The Healey is such a delightful size I can move the Model A back enough that I can parallel park it in the center without pulling anything out--well, for now I have to push it with the whole clutch situation.

I strive to have my "collection" be like my toolbox. Not many of my tools do the same job, I have a lot of them, and they are fun to use. After all, variety is the spice of life. My garage is heavily seasoned. 

Intermediate Driver

That's all normal for a British car.  They should probably give up and just import.  The only problem I see is no Mopars.

New Driver

I know the feeling.I'll go look at some car from a  classified,Hemmings Facebook Market Place or whatever with a price you can't beat.I know it will need work but what the heck ,it won't be the first POS I 've bought.Once looking at it I convince myself it's not too bad,a price is negotiated and another stray mutt follows me home.

Pit Crew

I see we share an affliction.  Not only do we have vehicles that need attention, they all need a different set of tools (which feeds another addiction!)

Passenger

Tired of buying projects instead of cars, I bought a super low miles 82 corvette collector edition last year.  A week into owning it the heater core self destructed.  A normal person would be distraught, but being a true automotive masochist, I was happy.  Here was the excuse to do a complete interior restoration!

New Driver

I too am a fixer upper buyer. Even in my earliest days, I wanted a new "stingray" bicycle. I scoured the neighborhoods on garbage day. Finding a frame, then wheels, eventually having enough parts to assemble my new bike. Yrs later I found my 72 corvette project buried in a car hoarders backyard, it took 5 yrs to finish, but is it ever really finished? My recent acquisition, a 65 Mustang GT. This one just needed some assembly and paint. A very rust free example that hadn't been out of a garage in over 25 yrs. Taken apart to restore, and lost to lack of interest.  Yes, I too find the joy in taking non running cars (or bikes)  and turning them into what they were born to do. Drive! Its not a sickness, its life!

Pit Crew

These three are the current population of my garage. The near two are roadworthy (after 50 years of restoration! ).....

P1030102.JPG

The C3 in the background is having its parking brake sorted - which, if you know  'Vettes, is going to keep me occupied for a long, long time....

Pit Crew

Nice article covering this aspect of the hobby.