cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to detail scale models and die-casts like real concours show cars

In my world of preparing cars for concours events, sometimes I get asked to work on something unusual. One such project was when one of my clients in the Philadelphia area was expecting a special visitor for his collection of 7000 Mercedes-Benz tin toys, models, and die casts. Representatives from the factory itself were coming for a visit, but the cars and shelves were dusty and disorganized. I was given the task of making them shine just like the real thing. After about a month, I had cleaned and detailed every car. It was quite the undertaking, but it inspired a project for my own toys at home. Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/entertainment/how-to-detail-scale-models-and-die-casts-like-real-conco...

Replies (7)

Replies (7)

I have over 120 1/18th models and my 1/43 & 1/64 models account for another 300+.  I did not know what I wad going to do today but it looks like I have plenty to do.  Great advice.

Well I better get started

Passenger

nice advice  I have over 120 1/18 models and 1/43 & 1/64 models are another 200 to 300 and I did not know what I was going to do today!  I'll get started now!!

Passenger

Tim, a great article and many useful tips, but a picture of an original dusty model and the improvement that cleaning and repair can make would have been nice.  The MGB and MaLaren looked great to start with - both are beautiful models.  I've used Maguires 'Quick Detailer' in the past with good success as a model wax.  If you have pictures of some of the 7,000 cars in the collection you cleaned, I'm sure they would be interesting to see.

Passenger

A little mild soap and a soft brush.  Rinse under the faucet, gently.  Place on absorbent cloth.  Dry with hair dryer if necessary.  Looks great.  I do it once a year at least.

Passenger

I buy a lot of used Dinky Toys from eBay and sometimes they will have some scuffs and paint transfer from another model or whatever. Meguiars cleaner wax does a great job to fix those problems. Of course, the best way is not having to clean them at all by putting them in a display case. Ikea sells large ones and your local hobby store should have small individual plastic cases made by AMT, Auto World, etc. 

New Driver

I’m staring at the dozens of model cars on display now and planning the detail project.  Great for concentrating the mind

Passenger

I just hit mine with a swiffer every now and then, maybe I should think about actually cleaning them at some point.

Intermediate Driver