cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

How Jeep made the Wrangler Rubicon 392, in nitty-gritty detail

Jeep recently introduced the Wrangler Rubicon 392. It is the first V-8-powered, open-top Jeep in four decades and, much like the diesel model, an answer to enthusiasts’ long pleas. Swapping an AMC 304 into a CJ-7, however, is a task that even a shade tree hack mechanic could do. Dropping a huge 6.4-liter V-8 into a modern Wrangler JL required significant changes compared to the conventional V-6 models. Let’s dig in and determine exactly, from a nuts-and-bolts perspective, how the 392 came together. It won’t surprise you, we’re sure, to hear that the aftermarket will likely make some adjustments of its own.

Get the full details on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/the-nitty-gritty-details-that-make-jeeps-wrangler...

4 REPLIES 4
Flashman
Advanced Driver

"0ff-roading"?  (with a 0).

Sajeev
Community Manager

Fixing that now, thanks! 

Blackpanthers81
Pit Crew

I'd love to see a new 392 hemi in a 1976 jeep wagoneer.

Swamibob
Advanced Driver

In answer to your final question:  Yes, there should be a Wrangler Hellcat!  I'm not a 4 wheel drive guy, nor would I likely own one, but I'd love to see one built, just to hear the howls from the naysayers and doom criers.  I have no doubt the public would buy them up in plenty large enough numbers to make it profitable.  Certainly more profitable than the hybrid.  🙂