cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

How does a jet engine work? Let's look inside

Mechanically minded folks are always curious exactly how something works, and occasionally, achieving that goal requires some drastic measures. I think I can safely say that anyone reading this has taken something apart to see which parts comprise it and observe how they interacted.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/video/how-does-a-jet-engine-work-lets-look-inside/
9 REPLIES 9
Tinkerah
Engineer

I had already seen that video (and some of his others - he's an amazing fabricator) and jets are indeed the most precisely engineered "simple" engines ever conceived. They can go from dead cold to full power in 90 seconds or less with exactly one moving part if you don't count the balls in the bearings. Find "Agent Jay Z" on YouTube for a complete education and full power test runs of aircraft jet engines on a dyno, often with afterburners.
Kyle

Thanks for that rabbit hole to climb down this week!
BLD1
Pit Crew

The 4 strokes of a jet engine or gas turbine - Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow!

Another great video from this guy. I watched earlier when it came out. I recommend subscribing to his Youtube channel. He has had the see-through rotary, etc. I first found out about him with his Supra videos. Very cool guy.
Hagerty Fan
Not applicable

I'm totally going to buy one of these and attach a pencil sharpener to the not-explosiony end.

MoparMarq
Advanced Driver

Most modern jet engines have multi-stage axial compressors, and are typically dual, concentric-shaft designs. This one has a single-shaft, single stage radial compressor. Not terribly efficient, but robust and simple to construct compared to multi-stage axials. Additionally, in this one, like early jet engine designs - when jet fuel was cheap - all the airflow goes through the core (through the combustion chamber). Later designs, have bypass ducts which allow much of the intake air to bypass the combustion chamber, driven by the fan on the shaft in front of the first stage of compression. The higher the bypass, the more efficient the design.
Cooling of engine is accomplished by excess airflow through engine compared to stoichiometric airflow. Hence, the engine exhaust is extremely hot out the nozzle, until the engine reaches at least idle speed, which is usually around 60 to 70% of max rpm, depending on design. The TPE-331 idles at 71%, the CFM56 and LEAP-1B engines at 60-70%, depending on engine generation and field elevation.
I'd curious to see what kind of thrust his engine develops. I'm also curious what he used as a starter. Most turbine engines need anywhere from 10 to 25% rpm before fuel/combustion is introduced to avoid overheat/overtemp during start.
Kyle

Interesting. Thanks for the insight on the cooling side of it. Was curious how that might work.
TG
Gearhead

suck squeeze bang blow. The jet engine does pretty much exactly what the reciprocating piston does - it just does it in a continuous process instead of batch process
Tinkerah
Engineer

I'm sorry, and you're welcome.