cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

How classic car-friendly is your state? | Hagerty Media

At the risk of stating the obvious, if you own a classic car, southern California would seem to be a pretty cool place to live, right? The mild weather means you're able to drive your classic year-round, and the roads can be fantastic. Yet, California doesn't always make it easy on car owners.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/archived/how-classic-car-friendly-is-your-state/
8 REPLIES 8
taxdrtom
New Driver

Tennessee does not have an inspection requirement for any vehicle, new or old. Your score must have been based on Nashville or larger cities, but no our county, and our traffic is moderate not heavy.
jpaul70631
New Driver

Louisiana has a physical inspection requirement which is just making sure the VIN (or chassis # [I imported a Japanese van which I registered as a classic car]) is correct between the car and paperwork. That is the only physical inspection. No need to have an inspection sticker. Never have to renew your registration. No limitations on usage - just has to be 25+ years old and have stock parts.

As far as the car club rule, that is bogus as presented in this article. To register a car as antique in LA, you either have to have stock parts as sworn before a notary OR be part of a car club. Pretty easy.

The rules did not change between when this article was published and when I went through this process in early 2020.
hyperv6
Gearhead

Ohio needs updated.

No more emission to test. It was only in a limited number of counties anyway.

The Historic plates are very easy to buy and use. They are good for 50 years. As long as they don’t see you driving to work daily or have them on a work truck they don’t bother you.
opie
New Driver

You have NC wrong.
AV-66 Application for Antique Automobile Value Exclusion under North Carolina General Statute 105-330.9 gives the value of any classic car as the lesser of value or $500.

Plus, Antique Vehicles
Vehicles 30 years old or older may qualify for an antique automobile license plate​. Those vehicles with an antique automobile license plate are exempt from both annual safety and emissions inspections.
NCDOR
bobman
New Driver

I'd have to disagree with Wisconsin being #26, and Minnesota being number 1. In Wisconsin, you can pretty much drive whenever and for whatever you want, other than you can't drive in January. MN is pretty much restricted to "special events".
WI isn't terrible for registration costs - $220 for your first collector, and you never need to renew your plates. I have a 1993 Taurus wagon in excellent condition, and the limitations are low enough that its going to be worth it to register it, for use as casual driving, sightseeing, and camping in the back. In Mich and MN, it seems that even that isn't really allowed.
Roundfender
Pit Crew

Your data are incorrect for Maine. There is no inspection requirement for cars with antique plates. I would also suggest that your entire point system, on which this article is based, is remarkably flawed in its construction.
Chad3313
New Driver

Iowa has the same titling requirements as Minnesota, i.e. 3 year bond. That would jump it to #1.
Chad3313
New Driver

Apologies, #4