cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How a grimy Indian Chief can merit a concours-condition price

When we see rust, dirt, and grease on a collector vehicle, we don’t usually expect a hefty price tag. In a select few cases, however, the right amount of dirt and history makes a dirty vehicle a valuable vehicle—#1-condition (Concours) valuable. This is especially true in the world of motorcycles. So how can a #4-condition motorcycle bring #1-condition money?

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorcycles/how-a-grimy-indian-chief-can-merit-a-concours-condition-pr...

Replies (9)

Replies (9)

Sorry, a #4 is a #4.  In a few years the market will correct and the person who pays #1 money for this will regret it.

New Driver

I know where there is one almost identical to this sitting in a basement leaning against the wall. It has been there over 35 years that I know of. I asked the old fellow who owned it if I could see it and he said yes but it's not for sale so don't even ask. He said he and his wife had their first date on it and rode it all the time. She had passed and it would never be for sell. I envied and admired him at the same time 🙂

Pit Crew

I've found that when a motor head finds that special car or bike that they want condition,most of the time,doesn't mean much. They'll spend what they have to do to own it and spend what ever they have to to make it what their vision of it is. 

Pit Crew

Fashion cycles come and go.  What is hot today may be old and cold tomorrow.  Anyone who has been around cars and motorcycles for a while has seen this. 

The problem with barn finds, is that they are still #4s.  It will probably cost more to restore one than it would cost to buy a nice one that someone else has restored.  And when people are no longer interested in rusty old barn finds, you will just have a #4 bike.  What will you do with it in the meantime?

Intermediate Driver

I like survivors and derelict but am not fussy on fake ratty.

There has been some terrible fake patina "barn fresh" overpriced flips in my area the past few years.

I concede that if you have a 95% survivor that needs a rocker or quarter panel to be allowed to drive it you get that fixed and may choose to get it painted to match the worn paint. I lean towards fixing the minimum properly and letting that age into the story myself.

The bike in the article has a great look. My tastes would lose the windscreen thing. But then I like worn-in leather jackets and jeans vs. shiny new.

Detailer

Love the Fender Ornament!

New Driver

Nice Seat!

New Driver

What is the story behind this motorcycle? Where was it found? Prior owners?

Passenger

I’d be interested in the history of this cycle.

Passenger