cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Hot laps at Laguna Seca in a 1911 National? That's the Ragtime Rush

In 1911, the morning after the first Indy 500, The Indianapolis Star listed on page one the butcher's bill: Samuel P. Dickson, mechanician, Amplex No. 44, "dead;" David Lewis, mechanician, Lozier No. 34, "fractured left hip and left foot cut;" C.L. Anderson, mechanician, Case No. 8, "run over; bruised knee and shoulder," and so on.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/driving/laguna-seca-1911-national-ragtime-rush/
10 REPLIES 10
Flashman
Technician

You write with style, sir.
mhealy1
Detailer

Anything with Mr. Robinson’s name on it is worth the time to read.
hyperv6
Engineer

That has to be one intense ride. The driver and mechanic mostly sit half in the car. Harness we don't use no sticking Harness as this was the era of being thrown clear was the safest thinking.

This to me is one step beyond the Stearman I got to go for a ride in that did loops.

FYI I think the dash shop it flipped wrong. Wheel should be on the right.
toy83h2ssj53
Intermediate Driver

I thought the same, and looking closer found it is a different car, #17, with central gearshift, and steering wheel on the left. Missing from it is the outside gearshift lever mentioned in the article.
elvacarsdallas
Intermediate Driver

When men were men, boys were boys and women were proud of it.
Fatcat321
Intermediate Driver

Something is fishy with that interior shot. Obviously a different car. A caption would have helped. Anyway, I can attest after whizzing around Maine riding in a Bugatti T-37, these open air vintage cars provide a thrill that can't be matched in any other vehicle.
Tcoradeschi
Intermediate Driver

Yah. Car is #16 and is RHD, the cockpit shot looks like #17 is on the hood...
CarlJensen
Pit Crew

LOVE THAT!
The_Eccentrics
Pit Crew

Had to be great!
How about giving us some video with sound!
Gary_Bechtold
Gearhead

A time when safety was barely a thought. That will get your blood flowing for sure.