cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

Honor Maranello’s manuals with these 4 stick-shift Ferraris

At the time of this writing, there are about 30 new cars currently sold in America that offer a traditional, three-pedal manual transmission. Such vehicles range from sports cars like the Porsche 911 to econoboxes like the Mitsubishi Mirage. Each year, it seems, the roster gets a little smaller. Jaguar, a company that expressed a lot of excitement about offering a manual on its F-Type a few years after the debut of that model, reverted to only automatics for the sports car.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/honor-maranellos-manuals-with-these-4-stick-shift-ferraris/

2 REPLIES 2
sammyboy989
New Driver

I will admit to having very limited knowledge of Ferraris, and other euro super cars. So could someone educate me about the why, of gated shifters.

Sajeev
Community Manager

Gated shifters were originally used to ensure driver's don't pick the wrong gear.  I assume it became a snooty sports car fashion thing shortly thereafter, since people still love the look.  Missing gears never seemed to be a problem with the few Ferraris and Lambos from the 1980s and up that I have experienced, but this could be a very necessary design feature in 40+ year old transmissions?