cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

GM promises to be all-electric in the U.S by 2035 | Hagerty Media

General Motors announced today that it plans to be carbon neutral by 2040 and that it will, "eliminate tailpipe emissions from new light-duty vehicles by 2035." Spearheading that goal is the introduction of 30 all-electric models over the next five years, along with a commitment to invest $27 billion in electric and autonomous vehicles over the same time.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/gm-promises-to-be-all-electric-in-the-u-s-by-2035/
244 REPLIES 244
TonyT
Instructor

All you have to do is make an electric car affordable and provide those "lower income" folks a convenient way to charge them.
OldCarMan
Instructor

They CANNOT make EVs affordable. Ad in the taxes and the subsidies and you have a perfect storm of S+++! Lower income people cannot afford any new EV unless it comes from China. And used ones will have battery life issues, making them early scrapyard fodder.
I can't put it up here, but there is a nice video of 3 EVs charging and one of the shorts out, catches fire and within 2 minutes incinerates the 2 next to it! Check out the "green" EV fires online!
Timbo76
Detailer

I have seen many vids of gasoline powered cars going up in flames too..

ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

Yup!

That's ALL you have to do...

Timbo76
Detailer

Same for new gasoline powered cars, no?

Timbo76
Detailer

Used ones will have lower prices just like gasoline ones do now.

Jost
Intermediate Driver

Sure, after they are around for several years and used ones are available. Lets be real here, I am not opposed to EV's, just think its more complicated then saying ok... lets just do it and tax everything else.
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

"The lower income should appreciate..."

Wow!

As to your postulation about cost-effectiveness and the promise of 'maintenance free' along with the advertised 'longevity', I've already addressed that...

Timbo76
Detailer

So did I..

Timbo76
Detailer

The lower class "working poor" usually dont own many cars. They usually take public transportation.
TonyT
Instructor

Not everyone that is "low income" lives in an urban location. There's more than large cities to this nation.
Timbo76
Detailer

I fail to see your point. There is no electricity in rural areas now?

spoom
Technician

You really should meet the Poors sometime, delightful people, but they're just so poor. And if you don't think they drive cars...
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

I've GOTTA ask; where do YOU live?

Timbo76
Detailer

Me? Fredericton, NB. Why?

spoom
Technician

That's always the answer (or we'll burn the city). Anyone who can't afford an EV, can't afford it because everybody was against them and they need to have the gummint hand them other people's money. Nothing has to make any sense, it's all about buying votes to become and stay rich in office, while stealing from others to do it. We (with our votes) supported sending our manufacturing to other countries, and then paying increased welfare to keep the peasants from rioting. Now we face world green taxes to the countries that pollute while making our stuff, "cause it's our jobs, relocated".
Timbo76
Detailer

Nice political rant. Feel better?

Timbo76
Detailer

Of course the gasoline tax will have to be put on EV's eventually. Someone has to pay for highways and it should be user pay.
spoom
Technician

Why "someday"? Why not right away? Just kidding, we both know why. Social engineering always trumps user pay.
Timbo76
Detailer

I wouldnt be opposed to right away..but the thought is it will only happen when EV's become more dominate in the market. Govts are often slow to react 😉

Timbo76
Detailer

And whats this nonsense about social engineering anyway? 

Timbo76
Detailer

"but the proposal is to impose the tax on all of us who already pay fuel taxes."

Yes, because the idea is to get drivers to drive less unnecessary miles. My vette gets 13 miles to the gal on a good day right now, so I drive it when I can afford to put gas in it ..which fortunately for me isnt a problem. It will be the same with the upcoming all electric Corvette.
spoom
Technician

BINGO, you finally show your true elitist colors. Beyond that, I'd be violating Hagerty's guidelines, so I'll bid you goodbye and run for the vomitorium.
Timbo76
Detailer

Elitist because I kept my Corvette for 42 years? You dont say lol

ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

WOW!

Had to get that out of the way first...

What in the World constitutes 'unnecessary' miles???

Your 'Vette gets 13 mpg; has to be pre-computer...

Is that You, Joe, with your '67 427" in the garage?

The last all-electric 'Vette I had was in 1965 and 1/64th scale, and it was an absolute BLAST to drive at a (scale) 300mph!

Limited amenities, no headroom, but, Man-oh-Man, could that thing GO!

Timbo76
Detailer

Unnecessary miles are pleasure miles (not for work, etc) ..like I often do with my vette. Make it more expensive, I am likely to drive less unnecessary miles.

DAY
Detailer

My 97 Vette gets 30 MPG. My old 93 got 36 MPG. I would never have traded it for the 97, but my low back problems was making it hard to get in and out of the 93.
Timbo76
Detailer

I've owned mine for 42 years ..have never gotten over 13 mpg.

Timbo76
Detailer

Here in Canada, two thirds of Canadians just voted for parties with meaningful climate change plans. Seems the future is indeed green and not fossil fuels. Biden also ran on addressing climate change and was elected.
Geok86
Advanced Driver

Are you sure that 2/3 voted that way?!?! Many in the US, aren’t so sure that “Brain Dead Joe” won...and many are even Democrats, who voted for him.
Timbo76
Detailer

Name calling is soooo childish, dont you agree Geok? So you are one of those who think the election was rigged huh? lol

Timbo76
Detailer

"Are you sure that 2/3 voted that way?!?!"

Absolutely, 67%. Conservatives got 33% of the vote in Canada, almost exactly half of what left leaning parties did. And we didnt turn communist 😉 Google the results if you dont believe me..

ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

I gotta tell you, for a "2/3rds majority..." there is a lot of screaming going on about suspending/aborting the XL pipeline, and I won't get sucked into the whole 'elected' discussion...

But back to topic, Joe also put Men into Woman's Sports, nuking Title IX protections, sending Woman's Athletics, Level Playing Fields, and a plethora of other well-intentioned, well-meaning, and historically very successful programs back to the Stone Age...

Timbo76
Detailer

"there is a lot of screaming going on about suspending/aborting the XL pipeline"
In Alberta too. Their conservative premier foolishly pumped $1.5billion of Alberta taxpayers money (with $6B in loan guarantees) into XL knowing full well Biden could win. Dumb move and his current popularity proves it.
Timbo76
Detailer

"But back to topic, Joe also put.."

But Biden won in a landslide 306 -232. Exact same margin as Trump won by in 2016 when he touted it as a "‘MASSIVE Landslide Victory’".

DAY
Detailer

Who voted for what no longer matters. My sister husband and son live in Ga and they got 6, that's six, unrequested Ballots in the mail after they had already voted early. We watched 2 women run ballots through counting machines 3 times,3 times folks, caught on camera. Don't tell me I didn't see any fraud. I know from personal experience there was fraud. No, it's only who counts the votes that counts.
Timbo76
Detailer

So why have 60 courts, including a conservative packed Supreme Court with 3 Trump appointees on it, refuse to even take the case based on the evidence presented to them?

Timbo76
Detailer

Love your ancedtoal "evidence", you can say whatever you want and no one can check. btw: all ballots are checked and verified against voter registration rolls. If you vote more than once, only one is ballot is counted and you may face a charge if you attempted to vote more than once. I would personally like to thank President Trump for taking a Republican House, Senate and Presidency and turning them all Dem in his one and done term. Best president ever.

Timbo76
Detailer

Nah ..I think I'll stick around. You mind 😉 And I am not an environmentalist. I drive a Corvette that has the carbon footprint of China 😉 

Timbo76
Detailer

My mother was born in Maine and I hold duo citizenship, we vote in both countries. I seem to know more about the US electoral system than you do 😉

Timbo76
Detailer

"Who voted for what no longer matters."

It does for 4 years..

ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

And let's not forget the heavy subsidies for Mass Transit already in effect, like AmTrak since the 60's, BART (SF Bay Area) even earlier, Bridge Tolls and other Toll Roads, FasTrak, 'Gas Guzzler', increased Registration 'Fees' (Tax), and built-in fees for consumables like Oil, Solvents, Batteries, Freon, Coolant, etc, etc, etc...

WAB
Intermediate Driver

Really going to be tough for those without a garage or secure parking to be plugged in and ready to go every day........hard to imagine up here in the Great White North how this will work out in the winter......hard enough finding a parking spot along "snow emergency routes". And oh....that guy that plows your driveway for those lucky enough to have one.....he will either have to wait for his truck to recharge.......or have a couple extra and add that cost onto the hourly / monthly fee.....Oh...make sure to tell the Griswolds no more vacation trips to Wally World..........I get it....mass transit. Wonder how Clark and family will bring home that tree for Christmas on the bus? Reality what a concept......
59Edsel
New Driver

The law of unintended consequences.
Timbo76
Detailer

Fossil fuels had many of them..
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

So do 'legalized' marijuana, needle exchange programs, abortion, and No-Cost Bail...

Timbo76
Detailer

There are electric and Tesla charging stations from coast to coast already. A fast charge takes 15minutes at the electric charging stations. A fully charged electric car will rival a gas car in range. Compared to a gas car like the Honda Accord, the annual ‘”fuel” costs as calculated by the U.S. Department of Energy based on 45% highway, 55% city driving, 15,000 annual miles and current fuel prices are as follows:

2020 Tesla Model 3 Long-Range — annual fuel cost of $500

2020 Honda Accord — annual fuel cost of $1,050
petersalt
Detailer

just nonsense.
Hymie60
Intermediate Driver

But how does a Tesla cost. It will take you a long time to recover the cost of the Tessa vs Honda Accord.
OldCarMan
Instructor

Go back under your Chinese bridge, troll!