cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

GM promises to be all-electric in the U.S by 2035 | Hagerty Media

General Motors announced today that it plans to be carbon neutral by 2040 and that it will, "eliminate tailpipe emissions from new light-duty vehicles by 2035." Spearheading that goal is the introduction of 30 all-electric models over the next five years, along with a commitment to invest $27 billion in electric and autonomous vehicles over the same time.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/gm-promises-to-be-all-electric-in-the-u-s-by-2035/
244 REPLIES 244
spoom
Technician

Guess who's cash GM has.
hyperv6
Gearhead

They paid it back. 

Ford on the hand got $6 billion from the department of energy and has given little in return. 

It is unfortunate how the web continues false info and lack of facts. 

here is the info on the money never paid back and it is Ford not GM

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2020/07/29/ford-government-loan-department-energy-debt/5...

OldCarMan
Instructor

Don't try and scare the EPA and NHTSA and others that they won't have jobs because of EVs. That will NEVER happen!
BTW cars are not phones, or flat screen TVs, so that comparison is just wrong. Cars are about mobility. Not just in high density urban areas, so get a grip, unless you force everyone into the urban plantations they will never be relevant or affordable..
DAY
Intermediate Driver

Wrong on every point. Kodak went away because a better alternative came along. Electric cars are NOT cheaper or better. I've been using lithium batteries for years flying RC planes. The only ones that don't explode are the heavier and more expensive Li Fe phosophate batteries. The power grid will never handle charging all these electric cars either.
turquoisetom
Pit Crew

Evidently no one knows where electricity comes from including the people of GM. They think it just magically comes out of a wall socket. The same people that want to be carbon neutral are the ones that have kept us from building more nuclear plants. I bet these people will be alright with diesel powered generators at charging stations!
56gasser
Pit Crew

You nailed it. Wind & solar can't meet our needs now. Wait till everyone has to plug in. Electric cars will still be powered by fossil fuels. And our new environmental issue will be how to depose of all the batteries.
Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

It seems that much of the world is living in fantasy land.

BillE
Pit Crew

I have read studies and seen on TV that the United States does not produce enough Electricity to accommodate current needs and the charging of the Batteries of EV's. It is predicted that government will have to create rationing to avoid Black Outs in our future.
HowardSue
Intermediate Driver

Look at California no with rolling Black Outs
HowardSue
Intermediate Driver

That’s NOT without rolling Black Outs 

Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

This will certainly be true as the feds switch back to a fantasy-based energy policy, buying into the con that is wind and solar.

wrigleyville
New Driver

Two thoughts:
1 - it seems having a true classic car (pre-computers, etc.) will be an advantage in the future for many reason (including driving more than 200 miles)....but the main one in my mind is that you can remain "off the grid" and maintain privacy as to your driving. Telsla and the rest all track you every minute of the day....try doing that in a '65 Impala. Prices for these cars may go up just for this reason.
2 - Judging from the comments just on this board alone....it seems the ONLY people "for" this movement are the so-called "elites"....99% of the rest of the population thinks it's rediculous. Not saying we can't "transition" over a reasonable amount of time....but this "take it or leave it" and jamming it down our throats is not going to fly. They are all just parroting each other with the talking points of the day. GM will be toast if they do this....

Which adds a last minute entry.....

3 - Who benefits from the exponential use of batteries....CHINA. They control the majortiy of Lithium natural resources on the planet. How convenient....
Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

It is remarkable, but when it comes to the harm being done in the world, all roads lead back to China and some angle they're playing at everybody else's expense. Just about every time.

OldCarMan
Instructor

Because they have made it a goal to be number one in the world in everything and remove the dollar as the world currency and bury capitalism. So far, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) are accomplishing their goals. And we are letting them!
Do a little more reading, please.
OldCarMan
Instructor

Well 46 is already in bed with them, so NO problem! Right?
Bloody-AL
Pit Crew

Now if GM can only stop people from texting and talking while driving we can also reduce the number of accidents and, therefore, amount of plastic wreckage from going to the landfills and oil, anti-freeze, washer fluid, transmission fluid, etc etc, ending up on our streets and, therefore, in our watersheds (streams, rivers, etc.). This comes from a person who use to love riding motorcycles but recently sold his because it is now so dangerous to be on the road on one due to the fact that actually driving and paying attention for most people has become a secondary concern!
OldCarMan
Instructor

So now you are restricting the availability of organ donations? How could you?? 🙂

You do realize AVs will eliminate any real driver control, so we can stay busy texting Amazon?
tahend
Detailer

Reality is much different than your pipe dream.
Kemosabe
Pit Crew

Reduce tail pipe emissions? Where do people think electricity comes from? In the US according to the DOE. 23% coal, 20% Nuclear, 38% natural gas, oil 2% and others (wind, solar, hydro and geo) 17%.
Not sure that 17% offsets the 45% that is Coal, nuclear and oil. There isn't enough energy density in wind and solar to make them viable. I have nothing against electric cars other than they have no soul, but green they aren't.
petersalt
Intermediate Driver

nuclear has essentially NO tailpipe emissions. It should be obvious that, if California is dead set against something like nuclear power, it IS the true solution.
Islander
Intermediate Driver

Yes, boneheads burn their bridges! Engineering and technology is just getting to where ICE's make sense for efficiency and minimal pollution.
No plug-ins for me, the world is already overloaded with batteries that will eventually become toxic waste. 'Not even close to being cost -effective.
For some reason politics pushes the EV and they may have a place but should not be the only option.
Flashman
Instructor

Not only has GM's logo changed to suggest it has a high-tech future, but Mary Barra feels obliged to dress like Steven Jobs.
HowardSue
Intermediate Driver

Good point
Ha Ha or LOL !
Thank You for the laugh it started my day.
OldCarMan
Instructor

and look like Gretchen Dimwhitmer in MI!
TimK
Detailer

A couple years ago I read about the upstart Teo taxi company in Canada that exclusively used EVs to "save the planet" went bankrupt. Trouble was the charge in these cars are significantly reduced in the extreme cold in Canada (and much of the US) experiences in the winter months so the cars had to be recharged frequently. They reopened last October I don't think the fleet is all electric.
I don't live in a cold climate but I still don't want one I need to rely on. Especially if I would have it long enough to where I would need to replace the battery. Smart owners will trade them near the end of the battery life so I'll just bet given the cost of the batteries their resale would be akin to that of a Yugo.
spoom
Technician

Hmm, this one needs to be scooped up and re-educated. Grab the whole family, too...
jsfury
Intermediate Driver

GM has gone full retard.
Bunka
Intermediate Driver

Wow an article showing how GM is late to dinner and how it is no longer a leader but relegated to being just another follower. The following quote is from several years ago, probably around 2018. " Members of the German government,[ the Bundesrat, ] have just passed a resolution to ban the sale of internal combustion engines in the European Union by 2030. Only zero-emissions vehicles would be allowed on the market after that time, according to the resolution." It was expected at that time that the rest of the European Union would meet in Belgium and follow suit. I do not know how that turned out.
Patrician
Intermediate Driver

Has GM made a correct decision since Ed Cole left 1976? They had 65% market share in the Cole days. My family has bought dozens of GM vehicles since 1953. Corvettes, SSR and Pontiac G8 just to name a few. I personally owned 4 Suburbans. 1990, 1997,2007 and a 2017. The 2017 was the most unreliable car I ever owned from GM. Constantly back at the dealer. Alternator, shift cable broke, engine oil cooler lines let loose and the digital screen replaced. There cars were much better before the bankruptcy. GM cars are like Ramblers. They make very little themselves and outsource to the lowest bidder. They just called back 80,000 Bolts for EXPLODING BATTERIES. Most electric and hybrid vehicles use Panasonic batteries. Not GM. Barra out sourced them to the lowest bidder. A Korean firm.
Barra is not capable of running GM but Obama put her in there because of affirmative action. Where is GM going to get the lithium needed to produce the batteries? China and Afghanistan control the lithium market. Why would she make this statement 15 years ahead of time? A mere few days after she opened her mouth GM dealers are complaining about dealership foot traffic. It's like trying to sell Studebakers after they announced the closing of the South Bend plant and moving operations to Canada..
I did something 2 weeks ago I thought I would never do in my entire life. I bought a TOYOTA. A foreign car. I feel so guilty. I wonder if Barra feels guilty about her leadership at GM?
jackellison2
New Driver

You nailed it. Barra is the token at GM. She will make GM a memory well before 2035.
HowardSue
Intermediate Driver

Stoped buying GM a few years ago
My wife’s father and grandfather where with GM “Chevy” management as bean counters going back to the 30’s
The only GM we own now is a 50 Chevy 3100 Hot Rod pickup
She’s the CEO is back kissing the backside of the current Administration
spoom
Technician

The same way Obama feels guilty about being set for life.
OldCarMan
Instructor

PLEASE!
Don't insult Ramblers. They were good cars in their day!
Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

China puts out more "greenhouse gas" more carbon than the US and the EU put together and there is no end in building coal power plants in sight. India has just surpassed the EU. Unless something is done about China, this electric vehicle thing is a joke. As is every other measure to chase the rabbit down the hole.

And then there is the con job which is wind and solar power -- which has created rolling blackouts in CA more and more every year as they force a fantasy-based green agenda.

HowardSue
Intermediate Driver

China was still building and operating coal fired steam locomotives up until a few years ago.
Why cheap labor.
Steam locos are very Romantic but very dirty to operate
jamescalco
New Driver

Good thing there is a vibrant after market business because GM will be a forgotten company by then
OkJustOneMore
Intermediate Driver

The passion and thrill of driving and owning a car is being replaced by self driving cars, eco extremist worried about the planet. ...i fear lawmakers in the future will outlaw old cars / gas cars. To save the planet. walk, bicycle , get on a train, or bus. And the sad thing is we will let it happen..... So long GM.
Mike_E_V
Detailer

EV's are revolutionary to say the least but when one considers what is NOT in place yet EV's will be hard sell. As oil production falls domestically and the price of foreign oil increases, what will be the cost of charging these EV's in the future and how will DC collect the needed highway taxes which will have gone missing from the pump which EV's currently escape paying? Mileage taxes, extremely high registration rates or taxes collected wirelessly through charging systems both public and at home would be a killer for many. In California where utilities have tiered KWH pricing for homes and businesses charging multiple EV's at a residence could easily boost a monthly electric bill into the next tier level increasing the cost of those watts dramatically. Once a family has all EV's in the household will a 200 amp supply to a residence be enough to handle 3 or 4 EV's all charging at once, let's say in July when it's 110 outside? Couple the home's needs for juice and add the cars it may ne over the rating of the breaker box. I've seen this time and time again when folks add solar to their homes and the box needs upgrades or 200 amp service is insufficient. We have just shifted the operation of fueling from the service station to out own homes. I personally know someone in CA who sold both the EV's when their insurance company doubled their home insurance rates due to the increased possibility of fire when charging an EV. There's along way to go before the EV market operates as smoothly and on the level of efficiency of the current fossil fuel system.
hyperv6
Gearhead

Trust me they already have plans on taxes. Check out how Oregon is working on it. 

Let’s face it who ever thought most of us would pay for TV or in some cases radio? 

They have 20 years to sort this out. 

It is coming no matter what excuse any of us can come up with. 

HowardSue
Intermediate Driver

Stoped being a GM customer sorry to say
Question
What happens to the children in Africa who dig up the minerals for the batters
Just let them get sick and die young
Next what do we do with the spent batteries.
The CEO of GM she’s only kissing up to the current Administration
GForce
Pit Crew

I notice this and many articles headline to read "GM Promises to Be All Electric" or "GM Will Be All Electric" by 2035. However, the press release states they promise to "try to achieve" this goal. Back in the 70's the goal was to have 100 mpg gallon cars as well. I have a "goal to lose 100 lbs by the end of the year". I probably will be closer to my goal than GM will be.

So far, GM's (and Tesla) biggest achievers (300 plus mile range) are $100k vehicles (yes I know Tesla "advertises" the Model 3 travels 300 miles per charge, although I know owners that laugh at that claim, about like a F150 getting 26 mpg). And recharge times being 3 - 4 hrs if not using "super chargers". The vehicles seem to be best used as daily commuters. Note - I have friends that have planned trips using super charger locations.

Point is, I don't see this as a realistic goal. Oh, it gets the headlines and makes the current administration happy to hear. Ensuring GM gets huge tax credits. But I don't see it happening.
Ajakeski
Intermediate Driver

GM will do what it's shareholders tell it to do.
JohninNC
Advanced Driver

OK... get one of these "Skateboards" and mount an OLD car on it! I'd love to mount my Model-A body on a complete state of the art chassis.
OkJustOneMore
Intermediate Driver

Mad Max coming to your wasteland soon. Control not Freedom.
CarciergeGlenn
Intermediate Driver

I live in Michigan, and the state (as well as many others) decided to ding EV drivers (I have had a Leaf, now as of last Saturday a new Bolt long range EV) to "make up for gas taxes." It's outrageously more expensive than it should be. I did the math (using the EPA's "MPG equivalent" and US DOT "average miles driven per car") and I'm literally paying 500% more than I should or about $125 extra for the privilege of driving an EV and not paying gas taxes. I wrote to the Governor to uphold my American Citizen's right to complain about taxes (LOL) and ended up with a nonsensical form letter and now I'm on her junkmail list and can't get off.... <sigh>
83ragtop50
Intermediate Driver

How is the tax computed for electric vehicles? Just curious. 

DAY
Intermediate Driver

It's all about control and how much money they can take from you. 

Kemosabe
Pit Crew

CO2 makes up just 0.04% of the atmosphere. If you read studies by actual PHDs in atmospherics, Pinpointing the source of temperature changes over time is very difficult, but consensus is that CO2 has known impact )sorry Bill Nye the Science Guy).
As best can be determined in a very complex topic, solar activity is the most significant driver (of many) over time.
CO2 is actually a beneficial gas. But this is more about being woke vs science.
DAY
Intermediate Driver

The current change in the climate is most likely due to a seldom mentioned subject.  The earth's precession or wobble, on it's axis. You can google the Mexican highway that posts signs of how far north the Tropic of Cancer has moved every year due to this wobble.  I can see the change on my property. When I built my house with an RV shelter, the Sun NEVER shined on the Northern side of the RV shelter. NOW IT DOES EVERY SUMMER. The Sun has moved farther North in the Summer and farther South in the Winter. This wobble of the earth spinning on its axis causing the Tropic of Cancer to move farther North and the Tropic of Cancer to move farther South is the reason for the Climate change. Just research it. IT ISN'T DUE TO GREEN HOUSE GASES. 

KeithG
Pit Crew

Maybe GM should spend a few minutes asking potential customers what they would like to buy....a novel idea I know. The new Hummer is interesting but I would never consider buying it because it's electric. I absolutely won't buy an electric vehicle. Why don't they talk about the environmental destruction going on to make all of these batteries and the hazardous waste to dispose of them at end of life? Remember when everyone starting freaking out about disposing of compact fluorescent light bulbs? That will be nothing compared to this. But at least they'll feel good about themselves in the here and now.