cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

GM promises to be all-electric in the U.S by 2035 | Hagerty Media

General Motors announced today that it plans to be carbon neutral by 2040 and that it will, "eliminate tailpipe emissions from new light-duty vehicles by 2035." Spearheading that goal is the introduction of 30 all-electric models over the next five years, along with a commitment to invest $27 billion in electric and autonomous vehicles over the same time.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/gm-promises-to-be-all-electric-in-the-u-s-by-2035/
244 REPLIES 244
spoom
Technician

GM will probably be irrelevant by 2030, so no big whoop or risk. Whole world is going to be a lot different soon.
Timbo76
Detailer

I think that GM being irrelevant in 9 years unlikely. There is even an all electric Corvette planned for 2025.
spoom
Technician

Don't forget to take a breath now and then, Timbo. Compared to where they used to be in market share, GM is almost irrelevant now.
Rider79
Instructor

But they ARE profitable most quarters.
Timbo76
Detailer

Been around over 100 yrs, they remain profitable, planning well for the future from what I can see.

Timbo76
Detailer

GM in Ontario are retooling a plant here for all electric vehicle production.
spoom
Technician

Of course they are, the Canadian auto industry IS the US industry, they've existed only to build US and other country's cars in Canada for decades.
Timbo76
Detailer

Sorry, but I fail to see your point ..there is a large Honda plant in Toronto too.

Timbo76
Detailer

2020 Tesla Model 3 Long-Range — annual fuel cost of $500

2020 Honda Accord — annual fuel cost of $1,050
Lightning1
Detailer

Honda Accord-can get fuel at any convenience store along the highway and continue in 5 minutes.
Tesla- needs to search for the right plug and takes 1/2 hr to charge to only 90%.
Americans just aren't very patient.
Timbo76
Detailer

If you are driving all day and are low from your home charge, pull into a rapid charge station, go have a coffee or sandwich.. 200 miles of range in 20 mins. 😉  My vette will not go 200 miles on a tank. Taken in Fredericton NB, next rapid charge station on the highway is an hour (60 miles) away. These charge times will only improve. (and no, my vette isnt electric 😉 )

IMG_6039.JPG

Timbo76
Detailer

A full rapid charge costs $12 on avg in Canada ..200 mile range. 

OldCarMan
Instructor

Lost time recharging over 12,000 miles? How about minimum of 40 hours!!!

All for fake climate change. The powers that be blew off data, that even they believed, until it didn't fit their narrative. Idiot politicians and political sycophants buy into the kool-aid. CO2 is NOT a pollutant, unless you want to ensure YOUR job security!
Rider79
Instructor

Not sure why you say it is not a pollutant. In terms of its effect on the environment, it is. Guess it depends upon how one defines "pollutant".
Timbo76
Detailer

Climate change isnt fake and CO2 is a known contributor. I am not going to get into an argument about the subject with you because I know you will just be offended. Just look at what every car company in the world is doing, moving to electric because of consumer demand.

ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

You're kidding, right?

2020 Tesla Model 3 Long-Range — annual fuel cost of $500

Annual cost to The OWNER, not the Taxpayer or Utility Rate Payer!

Between Tax Credits, Government Subsidies, 'Free' charging at Regional, County, City, or Utility Charge Stations, the REAL cost is an Eye-Popper!

DAY
Intermediate Driver

The Tree huggers will never understand it just won't work. The government wants everyone in Cities, hence the short range electric vehicles, to keep control over you.
Timbo76
Detailer

What kind of nonsense is that? lol

Timbo76
Detailer

So what is it?

DAY
Intermediate Driver

SO WRONG. The power grid will never handle charging an electric vehicle in every home that currently has a vehicle. Fools all...
Timbo76
Detailer

So you think we will never adapt? I beg to disagree ..and so do most of the world's car companies.

ScottC
Intermediate Driver

Where's all the juice to charge these cars going to come from? They want to eliminate the power plants. Have you read any of the reports about the toxic crap in solar panels and wind farms? Going from the frying pan to the fire is all that is happening here, the grid also can't handle what we have now. The cost to upgrade will get passed down and it will cost more for the consumer to charge that new EV, also think of all the trees cut down for new poles. Where will the spotted owls nest?
Timbo76
Detailer

Power plants wont be eliminated. Where would we get our electricity if they are eliminated? No, I have not read anything about toxic crap in solar panels ..and I am not worried about that because it is quite trivial compared to the toxic crap that is in oil that gets burned every day. The grid where I live handles the load well ..there are but a few places where the electrical grid hasnt kept up with demand all the time. California mostly. But they are upgrading too because consumers dont like brown outs. Of course the cost will be passed along, it is with all the current electrical upgrades as well. And whats this nonsense about needing so many new (renewable, wood) telephone polls and owls having no place to nest? lol

Timbo76
Detailer

I also like the idea of having an engine with 4 moving parts instead over 700, plus no tune ups, spark plugs, oil changes, fan belts, radiators, gas tank, etc. Current batteries for EV's are are recyclable and last a decade or more. Hybrids rival gas powered cars in ranges already.
TonyT
Instructor

In case you didn't know, an "engine" produces energy. An electric "motor" consumes energy. Big difference.
Rider79
Instructor

Neither of these produce or consume energy (other than losses to inefficiency); they just convert one form of energy to another.
Timbo76
Detailer

I know that. Energy can neither be created or destroyed..1st law of thermodynamics.

Timbo76
Detailer

Pardon me..

spoom
Technician

I like the idea of free trade and choice of products. I 100% support you in buying an EV, but not you making it mandatory that I purchase one, also. I have every faith that the war on climate change will be as successful as the wars on poverty, racism, drugs, etc. Success, of course will be measured in how much money it generates for those in charge, and how much they give a way in the usual distribution scheme. All of this depends on the new & improved USA declining and becoming subservient and benevolent enough that it is allowed to exist.
Timbo76
Detailer

I wont be making it mandatory but your govt may. Yes, your democratically elected govt.

OldCarMan
Instructor

Hybrids run on gasoline, too! Geez!!
Timbo76
Detailer

I know. My point is the range hybrids and EV's have now. The gasoline part isnt used until the battery needs charging.

ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

And when one of the 4 fail?

"Goodnight, Mrs Calabash, wherever you are!"

And what, exactly, are the symptoms of impending failure?

BAM!

Oooops...

"Recyclable...last a decade or more..."

For Real?

It's tough enough to find a proper receptacle for AA's!

I can hardly wait for EV Battery Recycling Centers to open at the Mall!

And people think it's odd to wait in line, in your car, with a mask on, to get your Covid shot; hold THAT thought!

And, don't forget, America, CFL bulbs last 'forever'...

TG
Instructor

To that I have to say that every hybrid i have ever seen in the boneyard has been sans battery. There is something worth something with those batteries so i don't think we'll find them piling up next to the mattresses under the overpass

...and i have CFLs in service i bought in the 90s
Timbo76
Detailer

"And, don't forget, America, CFL bulbs last 'forever'.."

Someone sold you a line of crap if you believe that ..they most certainly dont last forever. But they are more efficient and produce more light for the dollar than incandescent do..

Timbo76
Detailer

"GM will probably be irrelevant by 2030"

Are you thinking because of Tesla? Unlikely as GM is moving towards electric too and are currently funding plants for all electric production. Ford promises the same.
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

I don't think the comment was directed toward the result of Tesla, but more the way GM operates, regardless, but I won't speak for others, that's just my opinion...

1967, GM builds massive Fremont assembly plant

1984, (rather, 'Orwellian, No?) NUMMI a joint project between, arguably, the two most successful         single brands at the time, to build a car NOBODY wants!

2010, NUMMI leaves, Tesla takes over property

2035 ???

Timbo76
Detailer

Electric cars don't require transmissions either.
TonyT
Instructor

Look again. There is a reduction gear unit that reduces motor RPM and provides reverse. Hence, electric cars do have transmissions.
Timbo76
Detailer

Simply put, the majority of EVs do not have multi-speed transmissions.

ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

Well, they kinda do...

Torque split, steering (scrub) angle, reverse...

MarveH
Intermediate Driver

Just wait, the battery taxes are coming. As soon as electrics have made a majority penetration in the market we will will start seeing environmental taxes on electric cars for the dangerous elements in the batteries. I also see a time where we have taxes to mitigate the hazmat situation from electric cars in accidents. In addition, we will see battery disposal and replacement taxes.
TimK
Detailer

The person Biden has chosen for Transportation Secretary has already proposed a mileage tax for miles driven to add to other new taxes and overturning of the income tax cut from a few years ago. I wouldn't care if the mileage tax was put on the EVs because they don't pay any of the fuel taxes that support the highway infrastructure but the proposal is to impose the tax on all of us who already pay fuel taxes.
Jost
Intermediate Driver

And don't forget the hypocrisy here....the lower income "working poor" have to commute. Sometimes fairly long commutes as they can't afford to live where they work and are the last ones able to afford shiny new ev vehicles. I guess the answer is just give people more money,
Timbo76
Detailer

The lower income should appreciate having an engine with 4 moving parts instead over 700, no tune ups, spark plugs, oil changes, batteries that are recyclable and that last a decade or more I would think.
Hymie60
Intermediate Driver

You have too able too afford the EV.
Timbo76
Detailer

They start at $26k US. And that will only fall as EV gains volume and economy of scale.

Geok86
Advanced Driver

It’s great, that you are all for electric vehicles....not everyone is, and we shouldn’t be forced to buy them....there needs to be free market choice. As for the working poor, and lower middle/middle class...most, if not all, CANNOT afford any new car...let alone something that costs $30k plus (pretty much always PLUS!).
Timbo76
Detailer

As I said before, I will not make you buy one but your democratically elected govt may by 2035. GM is going all electric, Ford similar. There may not be many new gasoline powered cars avail at all by then. Time will tell.