cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get your thrills with this "Death Defying" 1958 Corvette

We've made no secret of the fact that we love some movies purely for their cars, and particularly for their car stunts. The orange-and-white Corvette above proves that this fascination for jumping, crashing, and barrel-rolling cars is hardly unique to the green-screen era; it's been in the blood of car enthusiasts for decades.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: 

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/get-your-thrills-with-this-death-defying-1958-corve...

Replies (6)

Replies (6)

One of the precious few benefits of being a lifelong packrat: keeping and locating my 1985 program from the Brockton (Massachusetts) Fairgrounds:

CIMG1450.JPG

CIMG1452.JPG

CIMG1453.JPG

    

CIMG1454.JPG

Intermediate Driver

I remember seeing Joie at the local stadium where I grew up. The announcer would scream "Joie, Joie, JOIE!!! CHITWOOD!!!!!" when the cars came out at the start of the show. The most memorable thing about it was that one of the cars wasn't going fast enough when he started up the ramp to jump the cars side-by-side, and he didn't quite make it to the other ramp.

I think that's where the phrase "That's not gonna buff out" came from.....

Intermediate Driver

The Joie Chitwood Thrill show was part of the Eastern States Exposition here in Western Massachusetts until the end.  I usually realize they aren't around anymore when I am walking around the fair, and don't hear the carnival barkers promoting the show.

Pit Crew

Glad to see a Corvair in the fleet. It seems he had a placement deal with Chevrolet.

Pit Crew

The Joie Chitwood Thrill Show was a regular at NE Ohio dirt tracks in the late 50s and early 60s.  Pretty exiting when you're a pre-teen.

New Driver

Perhaps you mean "...spin on a dime..."

Intermediate Driver