cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Get hyped for DeLorean's two-pronged return | Hagerty Media

DeLorean continues to tease us with prospects of a rebirth, which now appears to be playing out twofold. A shadowy, gullwinged silhouette shown on Italdesign's Twitter account is the product of a joint venture collaboration the Italian design house and Humble, Texas-based DMC, which will proceed independently of the planned limited run of "new," retro-style DeLoreans.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/get-hyped-for-deloreans-two-pronged-return/
42 REPLIES 42
Autobahner44
New Driver

I'll El Paso on the DeLorean, old, new , reimagined, or otherwise. But as my favorite Uncle Leo used to say, "There's an ass for every seat!"
MarveH
Intermediate Driver

Gee, it's a wonder Henry Ford was able to jump all these regulatory hurdles when he wheeled his quadracycle out on city streets for the first time.
TimK
Detailer

Back in Henry Ford's days the government encouraged innovation to build our country. Nowadays it's the opposite and seems bureaucrats are stifling innovation and trying eliminate competition, such as it is, to worldwide corporations that lobby ($$$$) our government; politicians and bureaucrats alike. 

spoom
Technician

Aren't the new regulations "government encouragement to bypass regulations."? I wish them well in their endeavors, but I hate sneaks, cheats and, "gummint here to helps".
Punk
Detailer

Ha! When Henry Ford tried to get permission to build cars, he got sued and shut down for a long time because the car was patented! It took years to get production rolling, not because of the government, but because private enterprise killed competition. You don't think this is still the case? Ask Mr. Tucker, or, indeed, DeLorean.
77GL
Intermediate Driver

Good point, even today the attacks on innovative Tesla have been uncalled for. Most whining about regulations are merely habitual and the regulations are things that should be done anyway if you're doing it right. Elon Musk did eliminate a lot of complexity though, no engine, no transmission, no emissions and fewer concerns.
Aquadave
Intermediate Driver

they really should do the new DeLorean in electric power. It just seems more fitting somehow.
TimK
Detailer

I don't like electrics but understand your thinking. Not saying I'm onboard, just understand. Maybe offer an EV option once they get up and running and the "flux capacitor" will be an integral part of the car. Sorry, I just had to say it. 

MarveH
Intermediate Driver

With so many amazing ICE out there now the possibilities are endless. As for electrics, I simply can't hate them enough, one optioned that way would be reasonable for those who hate driving but like cars ;).

farna
Detailer

The powertrain has to have current EPA certification though, and most manufacturers don't want to sell you a couple dozen engines. I suppose they could take a page from the 1950s Powell (they used recycled 41 Plymouth FRAMES, not drivetrains) and rob salvage yards of low mileage drive trains, or use rebuilds. Would be a bit more costly than just buying something ready to run though. The smallest engine available in the GM crate motor program is a 4.3L V-6 -- most are V-8s. And only V-8s in the E-ROD line. The others are either replacements for existing motors or not legal for emissions controlled vehicles. All the Chrysler crate motors state "not legal for emissions controlled vehicles".
JimmyinTEXAS
New Driver

An engine wouldn't have t be a crate engine. A few years ago GM had a 3.5TT I don't know if they are still using it but now they have a 3.0TT, either of which would deliver in the neighborhood of 400HP and got good miliage if you kept your foot off the floor. That should certainly drag that thing down the road with aplomb. GM might broker a deal with their supplier or , for a fee, let DMC deal directly with the vendor.
gfviperman
Detailer

Can feel DMV's pain trying to get this project approved by the feds in DC. As a survivor who worked for the feds in DC for 30 years, the delays mentioned in this article are not surprising. The ineptness and lack of drive by the majority of fed employees is amazing. Additionally, DMC personnel most likely know more about the NHTSA regs than the employees with which they are dealing. Ran into this too many times trying to get our projects approve by other federal agencies. Sounds as if approval is near the finish line. If it is not signed when new leaders arrive, followup, in person, with them!
spoom
Technician

Perhaps, but maybe the "inept" description is actually "ept" actions of those who LIKED the law and didn't want to lift a finger to aid an end run around it? Look at the sizable number of governments and would-be tyrants that would LOVE to get rid of all private automobiles and force the peasants into the trains and buses they deserve.
Bostwick9
Intermediate Driver

That group has been around since the late '60s.
See" The War Against The Automobile".
It's also an attack on individual mobility and sovereignty, so not to be dismissed as a crack pot idea.
That same sort of thing horrified the elite classes when train travel became more available to the "peasants" in the UK. All those unwashed moving aimlessly about and all.
spoom
Technician

SOMEBODY needs a 3.9 year stint in an education camp 😉

(tuition-free, of course)

tahend
Detailer

In other words, "Nothing to see here". Just buy one on ebay and modify it yourself.
911m491
Pit Crew

I am not an electric fan however after driving a DeLorean years ago with that pathetic PRV Peugeot Renault Volvo engine sitting way out where was not supposed to be originally, but placed in the middle, I believe it was a Ford Cosworth engine originally planned
It actually might be easier for the electric route so It can be nice and quiet and hear all the body rattles that also was present when I drove that relatively new car.
spoom
Technician

Agreed, a car as cool in shape as the DeLorean deserved a powerplant that would allow it to at least keep up with a Checker cab. Electrification of an original model would make a lot of sense-blistering straight-line acceleration in a car where range and luggage space isn't really a big deal for most owners anyway.
67CougGuy
Pit Crew

According to the shadowy-view offered-up, above, labelled "2021".....

The line of the bottom-edge of the doors shows quite a significant "step-up", between the back edge and leading-edge of the doors. This might signal the newly imagineered version's existence of a somewhat 'tall-ish' rocker height to negotiate across, during an owner's 'entry' and 'egress'. (I'm thinking, here, in terms of my dreaded 'Vette'-entry/egress 'obstacle'.... )

In the event the future DMC 12 does incorporate this sort of 'access obstacle'; I can only hope the new US Leadership Team rubber stamps their 'Green Light', ***ASAP*** !

(.....while I'm still able (--on occasion--) to bend my knees up into my chest... )
Miketheump
Pit Crew

I've owned my 1981 DeLorean for over 30 years, it 's an early production one, almost all the recalls were taken care of and bugs worked out of it. It's a slug stuck in mud off the line but handles great once on the highway and especially the by ways, always get a thumbs up and a smile. Wish it was more competitive but it is what it is. Very grateful parts and advice are still available and try to enjoy it as much as I can. It's a love hate relationship but that's what keeps me going.
Bostwick9
Intermediate Driver

So many of the affairs on the car are exactly that. I love my cars.... they love my wallet.
ScottM
Pit Crew

Many positives could emerge from this project. Today’s drivetrain technology, whether fuel or electric is light years from when the Delorean emerged. 3D printing of parts, and CAD for machining were just dreams for example. Assembly improvements and adhesives would tighten tolerances and eliminate fasteners and rattles. Even a short term production could springboard into more types of vehicles and more innovation which is always a good thing dontcha think?
JAG
Intermediate Driver

I don't know what regs the car needs to meet but if they just fixed the electrical issues and put a decent powertrain in the car it would sell. It's still a vehicle with a price point so have to be careful on where to put the development funds.
DaveA
Detailer

The electrical issues are easy to fix, and the parts to do it are readily available.
jaydee325
New Driver

Looking at this and some of the other nostalgic plays in the new car bizz, I'm reminded as to what Jeff Dunham's sidekick Walter might say, "I don't give a damn!"
Vanman
Pit Crew

Unfortunately the present political party is more concerned with railroading the previous President than doing any good or progress for the country. Might as well talk to a company about an electric motor for the DMC as it does not appear that any fossil fuel will get approved.
Zephyr
Advanced Driver

The big problem with all government bureaucracies from federal to local is that the higher-ups can penalize employees for approving something, but there is no penalty for NOT approving something. Therefore the bureaucrats play it save and deny everything.
Maestro1
Instructor

It's the stupidity and incompetence of the Government that it took a lawsuit to get it off its ass. There's
no excuse for holding up manufactering, with the result of disappearing suppliers and difficulty obtaining engines beyond the fiscal issues. There are several interesting folks out there who wish to build low volume vehicles including an electric Scarab and certainly DeLorean, among others. With
regard to engine supply: If one is dealing with major players their first thought is profit and their second thought is are any of these Puppies a threat to them. How about Volvo or Peugeot engines?
Does it make sense? There may be a parts issue but that can be solved via the factory itself.
Thank you for this Hagerty. Very informative as always.
Cool-isAmerican
Pit Crew

I drove one of the original DeLorean's from the Denver Metro area up into Northern Colorado for a guy a few years back....hated the hell out of the POS all the way. Those cars are absolutely some of the worst designed vehicles on the planet, those windows (what a joke) just make you feel like you are in a moving prison and the power.....again what a joke!!! I know (as one writer already alluded to) there is an ass for every seat; there are those that love these and the auction prices are ridiculous for what you get, but why the H$%^# would anyone want to reproduce these horrid cars??? As to electric; well anything that powers these in a new version would be an enormous upgrade to the joke that came in the cars originally, you can have these in any form but I won't give a hoot one way or the other!!
DaveA
Detailer

My goodness! Why don’t you tell us how you really feel, lol. A well sorted DeLorean is fun to drive. Out of curiosity, what cars do you like?
TonyT
Instructor

I'd be willing to bet that if the folks behind this new version of the DeLorean had contributed a sizeable amount of "support" to the current governing party, the hurdles would have magically evaporated. I have witnessed these bureaucratic "miracles" happen before, and it all comes back to money (oops, I mean "political support") in the right pockets. A government that is supposed to be "of the people, for the people" is but a fond memory now, and those that just want to put a little fun back in driving are going to be legislated out of business. Somewhere in that swamp known as DC there is someone justifying a paycheck by imagining that low volume automobiles are contributing to the demise of the common housefly, and thus that production must be halted until a means of protecting those delicate creatures is developed, instituted and paid for by those manufacturers. Let's hope this car sees the light of day, doesn't have a pure electric drivetrain and can pull one G in a corner.
Ajakeski
Intermediate Driver

Maybe it’s time to build the Edsel and Pacer again. Let sleeping turds lie.
mwmyers91
Detailer

It might be cool with a blower sticking out the hood and set of Mickey Thompsons on the rear
carguyjim
Detailer

If it wasn't for "the Movie", this vehicle would be just a funky footnote... an unremarkable vehicle created by a remarkable maverick!!
sharkguy48
Intermediate Driver

Since you can now label anything you want these days, why doesn't Ford buy the rights, make it out of fiberglass, call it the Mustang Flash-o-Matic 3000, drop in their electro-torque blender with 950 hp and call it a day?
Attention is the only reason people want a DMC. They "look cool", but they don't drive well, are not fast, are a PIA to get in and out of. And that stainless steel? Give me a break!
DaveA
Detailer

I guess my DeLorean didn’t get that memo. It’s fun to drive, easier than my 19 Mustang to get in and out of, and the stainless is virtually care free. I bought it for its unique styling and the fact that it’s part of automotive history. No, it’s not fast, but few cars back then were (fun fact: the DeLorean has more horsepower than an 81 Mustang GT).

Attention? Please. The Dodge Charger/Challenger/Hellcat guys are the kings of “Look at me!” with their burnouts at every stoplight.

77GL
Intermediate Driver

Cool car and looks closer to the original than all the popular repops we see today with overgrown Challengers, Mustangs and Camaros. Shows how far advanced the Delorean design was at the time and during an era of the most boring cars ever.
chrlsful
Instructor

as said last X this info wuz posted: bill passed, good...1/2 the wrk's done. The 'fix-it' for the Great Recession wuz done (Dodd/Frank) & B4 it even got outa the congress it wuz stripped'n ripped so enactment never fully happened. If this can get some funding I'd love us to get some parity w/the other countries on EV. I really C the '80s in the pic accompanying the verbiage above, we cold see other (EV) examples. Autonomous has funding (gov/colleges/some corps) let's get onit for the EV. The us of a needs to ride on top for more than movies, rap'n cheez doodles. In 1960 we got Germany on the VeDub Bug invasion (chevy II/falcon/dart) we still have not recovered from the nxt "the Japanese invasion" 10 yrs later now 50 yrs on...
Crusty
Pit Crew

I think you might have a point there somewhere. Maybe you could state it in proper English grammar, spelling, and punctuation!

omac
Intermediate Driver

I'd like to see the camaro v8 stuffed in the back or the Hellcat engine. Also offer an electric version. Both will kick a** . It will be awesome seeing Delorans on the street again. Hope it happens soon.
Tom9716
Intermediate Driver

With every manufacturer moving to electric, the reborn DeLorean will probably not be ICE. Electric power solves a lot of packaging problems and moves the car into the 21st century. And, don’t count on both an electric and ICE version. Producing only 325 car each year doesn’t provide a lot of working capital. It will be hard enough to get a single version out the door. I know this because I’m a rocket scientist.
Gary_Bechtold
Instructor

I went to the DMC Headquarters in Humble, Texas 5 years ago. It was a pretty cool place. It's amazing that in 5 years we have not really moved too far on the new DeLorean goals thanks to the government dragging it's feet. Not that it really cares, the amount of cars they are going to sell is a drop in the bucket so it's hardly a priority.