cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Garage Zen: The joy in the familiar | Hagerty Media

The human brain is a weird thing, maybe even weirder than a three-barrel Holly. People's minds can be wired so many different ways, but the vast majority of us all have one circuit in common: we find comfort in the familiar.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/garage-zen-the-joy-in-the-familiar/
13 REPLIES 13
audiocage
Detailer

Carburetor is a French word that means, "Leave it alone."
Flashman
Instructor

Umm, "Holly"? Seasonal, albeit misspelled.
Kyle

The season can't last forever, even if I want it to. Corrected. Thanks for the comment.
AG1962
Detailer

Nice story. We all need some familiar routines, esp. now. What about using a little inline fuel filter, though?
Kyle

In my experience, those restrict flow just enough to cause other problems. This tank is now clean enough that one shouldn't be needed.

Usually there is a fine screen on the fuel shutoff inside the gas tank, but occasionally those get broken or cut off by previous owner--though I have never understood why. Since this shut off doesn't leak, I am not excited about the thought of taking off something that is currently functioning fine.
Mogowner
Intermediate Driver

Here's another vote for the fuel filter, none of my toys or gas powered yard equipment are missing the simple installation of a fuel filter. I've done enough unnecessary carb cleaning in the past. Good column from Kyle, a guy with a fun variety of toys. .
Swamibob
Instructor

I dig it Kyle. Looking at one of your pics the thought ran through my head... Trial bikes and a Corvair... Oh, he's one of those guys. 🙂 It kinda sounds mean, but not meant that way. Just a way to rib a fellow machine loving cohort. ( Also the Minilites do help with the cool factor, not to mention the Cadillac V16 poster)
In some circles, bringing up Heraclitus, could get you into trouble with those who still hold a grudge against Socrates, but those are few and far between in our circles, but it could happen. I appreciate the river reference. I also appreciated the reference to the 3-barrell Holley. Not many of us left that remember those and can also read and write English. 🙂 (someone's going to hate me on that one, but it was funny.)
I'm not a bike guy, myself, but I do dig the Zen. I've built my share of Holley's and done a lot of intake and ignition upgrades and other tasks.
Sometimes the Zen is just to go in the shop, in the middle of a really cold Winter day or night and sit in the car (in my case my '64 El Camino) and just make Vroom Vroom noises. 🙂 Closing my eyes and dreaming about driving through the Minnesota State Fair Grounds during Back to the 50's checking out the 11,000 + cars in attendance and taking in all the sights and sounds thereof... Hmmm... Think I need to do a thing this evening.
CARDESIGNER
Pit Crew

Oh man- thank God there’s someone else who’ll admit to making vroom vroom noises in their vehicle when it’s in the garage. I knew I couldn’t be the only one! Maybe it’s a MN thing...
Tinkerah
Technician

I do it here in Massachusetts too if that says anything.
cyclemikey
Intermediate Driver

Eh, I don't know about that Pirsig reference, Kyle. Pirsig's entire treatise was about the notion of "Quality". Invoking his blessing on screwing around with a crap knock-off carb from East Cheapistan seems like a minor blasphemy to me. Especially when the proper OEM item is still available used and even NOS.
speedy
Pit Crew

Another important element for me regarding these smaller repetitive tasks comes from the feeling of another successful job completed. While I love the challenge of a problem to solve, and who doesn't also like the feeling of successfully solving the issue. 🙂
JohnnyD
Intermediate Driver

Yes indeed those repetitive maintenance chores can bring satisfaction and buoy confidence in your car's reliabilty and performance. Makes the upkeep chore less like work. My examples were changing the timing belt before the mileage limit, rebuilding the four barrel carb every 20,000 miles, changing the auto trans fluid and filter. My Chevys and Cutlasses just ran flawlessly from those routine little repetitive chores yet give me great work satisfaction. Always better to do in a garage on a rainy day after you finished your "honey do list" of chores (smile).
MikeSS
Intermediate Driver

I can relate to the familiar! Having rebuilt Rochester 2GC carbs on my first real car (348 Tripower 1958 Impala) many times over 5 years of ownership in the 1960's and then the Quadrajet on my 1968 427 SS Impala that I still own. But doing those things that others say is not worth it, still brings satisfaction when you start the engine!