cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Gallery: Our favorite trucks and 4x4s from SEMA 2021

We're on the ground at the 2021 SEMA Show, and what's immediately clear is that any truck or 4×4 fan who makes it to Vegas this year for the big event will find plenty to salivate over. Classic, late-model, lifted, or lowered, you'll find it at SEMA.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/events/gallery-our-favorite-trucks-and-4x4s-from-sema-2021/
32 REPLIES 32
GRP_Photo
Instructor

I like the "Jeagle."
WalkemJohnny
New Driver

I would like to see a new Jeep Gladiator in funky Scrambler 70s graphics or in Scrambler Golden Eagle livery from the CJ era. I would put a full cage on it to replace the roof structure and then take a soft top all the way from the windshield to the tailgate covering the truck bed like they did with some of the original CJ Scramblers.
Tim
Instructor

I'm a "less is more" kind of person, and even though I have a Bronco 2-door on order, of the vehicles you've shown here, the YJL and the grey 4-Runner look best to me. Both look customized just enough to be distinctive without trying to scream, "Look at me!"

I get that SEMA vendors definitely go for the attention, but I'd want something I'd actually use and not just be a mall parking lot queen. The YJL and 4-Runner look like future chips and scratches wouldn't detract from their appearance.
RG440
Advanced Driver

My favorite is the 1967 Jeep Military Ambulance concept with the pop-top behind the Jeepster to the left of the Mopar wall sign in the background of the picture!

It’s called the Kaiser Jeep M725 concept and it transforms a 1967 military ambulance into “the ultimate off-road support machine”.
The original body has been reinforced and its leaf spring suspension replaced with a ‘heavy duty’ link/coil system (phew), with 20-by-12-inch eight-lug Black Rhino Armory wheels - wrapped in 40in tyres - perched beneath the lot.
Motive power comes from a crate V8 engine. A Mopar 392 Crate Hemi transferring 485bhp and 475lb ft to four wheels via a ‘vintage’ TorqueFlite 727 automatic gearbox.
Modern instruments give the interior an only mildly contemporary feel, while the rear quarters have been stripped of their plasters, beds and bandages, “creating enough room for occupants to stand while retrieving supplies or serving food and refreshments from the open rear panel”, according to Jeep. Think of the parties it could host…

That’s one Sweet Machine !!!
gfviperman
Detailer

There is only one JEEP!!!
HotRodGTO
Intermediate Driver

...and the Wagoneer is not it.
Huntz-Hall
Intermediate Driver

Some great builds & I mean great! I'm not a big fan of 4x4's but this is some amazing stuff but I would consider the early Ford short bus & ths '36 Ford 4 door sedan thank you. Neat, very neat!
FloridaMarty
Intermediate Driver

They all look like trailer queens. If they have $100k or more invested in an off road vehicle, would they really use it? I find these posers a bore.
gtokdx1
Intermediate Driver

Not the Jeagle. It's ready to rumble!
JAG
Detailer

From the "missing" category....GM is nowhere to be found!
FloridaMarty
Intermediate Driver

They all look like trailer queens. If they have $100k or more invested in an off road vehicle, would they really use it?
JAG
Detailer

Except for the the powertrains in Rover and Wagoneer!
Paladin
New Driver

I've never been a huge fan of ostentatious anything, preferring understated elements rather than in-your-face styling. With that said, I am partial to the grey 4-Runner; I know them to be solid and dependable and while not overly powerful, they can get pretty much anywhere the average person wants to get to with little fuss. I like that blue Cherokee too, for a lot of the same reasons. I've owned neither, but had opportunities to drive both back when they were still considered late model. That one Jeep pickup with the tractor looking wheels, I wonder how much those things weigh? Oh, and that green tank looking thing- I don't know what it is, but I LIKE IT.
Hoosier-Daddy
Pit Crew

Arkonik - they form a North American headquarters and manage to move Charleston from South Carolina to North Carolina. Good for them. 🙂
Cornbinder
Intermediate Driver

I'm glad to see that among the new Bronco builders there's a consensus with peeling off the hokey trim level decal from the front fender and replacing them with a repop gen-1 script. That alone makes them look 10x better, and I think that at Dennis Carpenter they'd better add another shift to make 'em to keep up with demand.
SJ
Instructor

Nice Bronco's, reminds me of my '71 I restored and drove for 17 years. Is there any vehicle that has not had an LS installed in it? Just like the old days with the Chevy small block.
DaveP
Intermediate Driver

Thanks for posting the great photos! I liked the late 60-early 70 F250 (blue and white) and the vintage Blue& white (also) Cherokee. But what? No early Broncos?
Now – to answer your original question “Which of these 4x4s would you take to the trail” my answer would have to be “none of the above - afraid to scratch that paint job”. Now – my real choice would be either my old early 80’s Toyota Landcruiser that I had when I lived in the Philippines, or my brother’s old CJ2A. Both were bare bones off road vehicles that you could fix with bailing wire, etc. Hell, my brother’s CJ2A didn’t even have a roof or doors, but it could go down trails that none of these 4x4s could even fit down. Keeping it simple.
I wish he still had it (and so does he).
ValterPrieto
Intermediate Driver

As a Wrangler owner here in US and previously a Defender, Mitsubishi Pajero and Suzuki Samurai owner in Brazil, I have 2 things to say:
1 - luxury interiors in off-road vehicles are ridiculous;
2 - wheels out of the fenders (wider than the body) are ridiculous as well.
gtokdx1
Intermediate Driver

Exactly. Saved me from writing my own post about wheels outside the fenders on a 4x4!!!
gary21sn
Pit Crew

Too much fluff and bling for me.

Gary_Bechtold
Gearhead

Some lovely paint jobs and cool engine swaps for sure at the show. Lots to love.
eighthtry
Detailer

No question it is the Jeep Wagoneer. It will be a the crowd favorite in pebble climbing.
KYColonel
Intermediate Driver

My choice is that beast on page 44.
TG
Instructor

There's something about lowering a 4x4 that just seems like someone missed the point
RG440
Advanced Driver

Amen!
carguyjim
Detailer

I KNOW I'm old...
But...
The Bronco looks cheap and uninspiring, even with the giant silly cartoonish tires...
"You can't make chicken soup from chicken s**t!"
merlebalke
Detailer

Is "silly" a good look for a truck? Don't think so, but there are plenty of examples. My two favorites are the Ford F-100 EV conversion and the Kindig Chevy with the folding hardtop, arguably the best custom truck ever.
JRJones
Detailer

This vehicle trend is interesting. In a cumulative sense this may be spending similar to an F1 grid.
I am fascinated by train wrecks too, but do not participate.
Reading the market(?) Factory Five (replica Cobra kits) is designing a "PreRunner" based upon an F150. Yeah, I don't get it either.
JRJones
Detailer

Afterthought, With this much spending, the owners tent camp on the roof?
Maybe for when parking is restricted at the Super 8.
hyperv6
Engineer

My favorite truck there was the Chevy Beast from GM. 

I know it is not likely for production but I do have hope they will take the Colorado and make a Bronco killer. Note my hope has been going for a very long time!

NextToTheBorder
New Driver

Those trucks are sure puurrdy.
Of ANY of those 4X4's bet none of them have actually had any mud/sand on them or have ever locked their hubs. What a waste.

JGeske
Advanced Driver

WHAT DID THEY DO TO THAT SILVER WAGONEER!!!!!!!! They ruined a beautiful Jeep.