cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Future Corvettes: E-Ray, ZR1, C9 EV, and more

Fulfilling long-held rumors, our beloved Chevy Corvette has officially begun its journey toward full-electric propulsion. On April 25, GM President Mark Reuss announced two near-term Corvette variants-what he called an "electrified" model due early next year to be followed by a fully electric, Ultium-based vehicle.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/future-corvettes-e-ray-zr1-c9-ev-and-more/
88 REPLIES 88
CitationMan
Gearhead

This article sounds a bit too much like a GM press release. Case in point, if the E Ray weighs 700lbs more than an a base C8, which is already 200lbs heavier than a base C7, this overweight pig’s agility is not going to be enhanced by anything except a severe diet.
And can we please stop with the “this EV will beat that ICE car in a drag race” blather? We get it, EVs have instant torque, but no adult drives their car as if every stop light is a drag race. You watch, the government regulators will eventually throttle the power of EVs to save the earth, or for some other non-sensical reason. Remember, car regulators hate cars.
My advice, go buy a 3400lb C7 with a manual before the Corvette turns into a Hummer.
You will get to enjoy a well balanced car with 50/50 weight distribution and true agility.
NAMiata
Intermediate Driver

Saving the Earth is not such a non-sensical reason. Although I agree that the few sports cars being sold today will not make a difference. Now the gas guzzling SUVs that can't be autonomized fast enough for most drivers, that's another story.
83ragtop50
Intermediate Driver

"Saving the earth"! Give me a break.
Timbo
Detailer

Electrifiers MUST research the science, economics, and geopolitics of EVs. Lefties won't let coal, gas, or nuclear power feed the grid. Renewables hardly pay for themselves IF you have sun or wind consistently. Lithium and rare-earth metals are not only costly and potentially polluting to mine and dispose of, but will enrich our enemies as we buy it from unfriendly regimes. Or did I miss the "cumbaya" session where we will all live together for the benefit of mankind?
87GN98VET1
Pit Crew

"Lefties"?  You would have to be extremely ignorant not to see the big picture.  Like everything else, it takes investment to make renewable energy viable.  How much do you think it costs to build a coal plant and mine coal for 1 years worth of energy?

CitationMan
Gearhead

The big picture is just another description for the the physical world, and the physical world has its limits. For example, the alchemists were never able to turn lead into gold. Throwing more money at wind and solar, especially other people’s money, can’t get the wind to blow 24 hours a day or the sun to shine longer. 

OB1Kubota
New Driver

you were absent from science class that day, right?
TG
Technician

Technology will save us all - just like it has for the last 200 years
CJinSD
Instructor

Technology and authoritarian politics are not interchangeable.
Smilodon
Instructor

"Kumbyah" is spelled with a "k".
at7000ft
Pit Crew

I used to think 50-50 was the best weight distribution for a performance car until I learned about the 2.8 0-60 time for the C8 mostly a result of it's 40-60 weight distribution.
cassman66
Intermediate Driver

I'm a septuagenarian with a C8. I've punched it many times in the four months since I got it but, it'll never see 0-60 in 2.8 seconds while I'M behind the wheel! HaHaHa Point being, it is absolutely not only fast enough, but faster than I'll ever top end or accelerate it.
MeJ
Advanced Driver

The ERay is going to be 700 lbs. heavier? Yikes. That writes it off for me. These cars are getting way to heavy without battery's. Isn't the Z06 already around 3600 lbs.? That's about 400 more than a C6. I'm shopping for the older, lighter ones.
sclin10
Advanced Driver

"Which future Corvette are you most excited about?"
None of the above.
Pacecar620
New Driver

Even an electrically powered new generation 63 Split Window wouldn't excite me.
pcbrig
Pit Crew

Hear, hear! (I have absolutely no desire for any "electrified" (or worse) GM product.)
jackellison2
Pit Crew

I agree. An EV for me? nEVer!
77GL
Detailer

The absence of combustion is so welcome. The fumes, handling gasoline, oil changes, tune ups, oil leaks, a series of granny gears just to get it to move - I will happily miss it all.
TonyT
Technician

Everest and Jennings might have just what you're looking for...
ROBBO99
Detailer

I wanna throw up thinking about a electric corvette . Give me 6, 8, or 12 cylinders or nothing !!

BB66Vett
Intermediate Driver

The EV's will be the death of the Corvette.
vetteguy51
New Driver

I am not a fan of any of these, I would never put down a Vette. I just don't see why GM insists on making the C8 look like a Ferrari clone. My C2 isn't the runner these new ones are and doesn't handle nearly as well but you know what it is when you see it on the road! Electric has some positives, but there is much to do to make electric vehicles viable for consumers and the environment. They are nowhere near that yet.
TG
Technician

As soon as you put the engine behind the driver, cars either resemble a fiero or a countach - one of the downsides of mid-engine cars
at7000ft
Pit Crew

One year long waiting lists for Stringrays (after almost 3 years in production) and 3-4 year waiting lists for C8 Z06s, that's why GM designed the C8 the way they did.
cassman66
Intermediate Driver

I have a '22 C8. I thought - and still think - that my '56, '66 coupe, '72 T-top and '72 Convertible were all better looking cars than the C8. The latter, however, is a car I can drive cross country without a thought. (My others were all already vintage when I owned them.) As to the appearance, once the engine is located mid, it is like the old P-47 Thunderbolt fighter plane. Republic started with the massive engine it had, then built an airplane around that engine. Likewise, the mid-engine C8. Form followed function.
Iso_Grifo
Instructor

It's as if they don't understand Corvette buyers at all. An SUV electric Corvette? Everybody should be fired. Completely misguided GM management on the Corvette. It should be the last exclusively internal combustion engined car from the corporation. And when and if the artificial political nonsense ends internal combustion engines, the Corvette ends.
Pacecar620
New Driver

GM management has been wrong more than once. Can you say Vega? How about Apache? What a steaming pile that was! Oh yeah, the Volt. Be sure to carry plenty of fire extinguishers at all times. "GM: Mark of Ignorance."
TonyT
Technician

Which Apache are you referring to? The '58 is still too cool for school!
Will
Intermediate Driver

I think you must be confusing the Volt with the Bolt. I've never heard of the Volt catching on fire. The Bolt on the other hand was recalled for that.
Smilodon
Instructor

I think you meant "Aztek".
Sonnymccut
Pit Crew

No hybrid or EV Corvette for me. No thanks. Maybe change the name to Corvolt because it damned sure ain’t a real Corvette unless it has a V8.
Skipe
Pit Crew

Ho-hum, unfortunately it's still a chevy
Daniel
Intermediate Driver

They can't even make many regular Corvettes. Where are they going to make these? St. Louis?
at7000ft
Pit Crew

One the same Bowling Green factory, Stingray production will decrease to accommodate Z06 production.
tygar
Pit Crew

I will not be excited or interested in ANY of the new Vettes! Don't like the last couple iterations, & sure don't want some even more eurotrashed up Vette! Bring back the 61-62 style with a nice LS/LT, 5 speed. Now that would be a Vette! Tom
milo2021
Intermediate Driver

No EV no hybrid no more European sports cars......sorry just American muscle cars with their own identity.....like in the past.
LarryG
New Driver

It is interesting to see how the DNA of the Corvette is changing due to electric. Also noted Porsche, Ferrari, and all of the others are doing it. I love my 2020 C8 and was aspiring to get a Z06 BUT is that going to be the end of the line for combustion engines? Out of 13 lifetime Corvettes, the other one is a 67 L71. That and my C8 are my 2 favorites (so far).
ATmgbjaguar
Pit Crew

It seems to me that when it comes to Corvettes GM has, as the British like to say, "lost the plot". None of these are at all attractive to me --- styling overall is quite ho hum, cabin design and execution is too flawed to make them true drivers cars, and the mechanical bits really do not showcase enough technological advancement to warrant the level of pricing.
at7000ft
Pit Crew

You are in the minority given a current average wait time over a year.
Geok86
Instructor

NONE!! Wish we could wind back the clock to C6, as that was peak Vette for me…sub par interior was its biggest drawback.
Maestro1
Technician

I don't see the point nor the product. My favorite Vettes are a 55 6 Cylinder, which leaked in the ran and was cold in the Winters (Midwest) and rode like a truck. I loved it anyway. And then a '57, much improved car, with its own eccentricities, such as moaning and groaning
going down the road. Body technology was still ripening. I loved the '57's simple design,
and much improved comfort levels (you could drive it in the rain, snow, whatever and not think you were on a Safari). Thanks for this.
L-88
Intermediate Driver

That LT7 would be one fine hot rod, price may change my mind on that one though.
CitationMan's advise fits me to a tee.
Ajakeski
Detailer

I'm still waiting for GM to make good on their $59000 C8 claim and I highly doubt Chevrolet wants the biggest failure to ever occupy the Oval Office anywhere near their marketing campaign.
ccrvtt
Intermediate Driver

"Biggest failure to ever occupy the Oval Office"? Don't think Trump is a car guy at all...
TonyT
Technician

About as much as Obama....
bugmoto
Pit Crew

More reasons to hang on to my C7 Grand Sport M7 Z07. Last of the manuals and still a hoot to drive. Classic view out over the hood, and far more performance anyone will need on the street. Will be for a long, long time.
Smilodon
Instructor

I'm on the lookout for a gently used C7 ZR1 to park beside my C4 Z, don't care about the handling "advantages" of mid engines- 'Vettes are long hood front engine smile machines. Rather drift a corner slower than pretend to have a Ferrari.
BB66Vett
Intermediate Driver

GM building 4 new battery plants, bankruptcy 2.0 here we come.
Racer50
Pit Crew

I can’t imagine EVs holding their value over time. When you factor in the expected life of the batteries and the obsolescence of the electronics, EVs will become more of a disposable, albeit expensive, commodity. Getting parts for a 20 or 30-year old EV will be like finding parts to keep your old Windows98 computer running. When you consider the relatively low number of Corvettes on the road and the fact that they tend to be extra vehicles with low mileage, making them into an EV just doesn’t make sense. There is a bigger environmental impact for building these electric cars that will never be recouped by the gasoline that they save. I’ll gladly stick with my IC engine.