cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kyle

From Pontiac chassis to home-built Ferrari—in 18 months

Many enthusiasts lust after the cars of Maranello, but few are able to own one. That realization set in early for Bart Jones. He was just 10 years old when he realized the 1959 Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta he longed for would likely be out of reach for his entire life. So he started formulating a plan to build his own. The planning stage lasted 30 years, but Jones never gave up. 

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/hagerty-community/from-pontiac-chassis-to-home-built-ferrari-in-18-mon... 

22 REPLIES 22
El_Chaneque
Passenger

WOW... I am speechless,  Bart Jones is a genius.... would love to see some videos of how he produced thee panel so quickly......  

Kyle

When I spoke with him, he mentioned he might docuemnt the next project al ittle differently and talk about some composite techniques on his YouTube channel. Might be worth keeping an eye there!
jsh1
Pit Crew

Awesome project!  Love the design and execution.  Congrats on a great car!!

bblhed
Advanced Driver

Very nice, you should be proud.

Corkola
Intermediate Driver

When I try to view the photos, I see one photo followed by the text "Photo by Bart Jones" for all of the rest of the photos.

Sajeev
Community Manager

Are you able to see all the photos when you are in the viewer? What you are seeing is what we need to do to ensure we give credit where credit is due. 

ClayJ
Passenger

A  lot of talent and effort there.  Well done.

jdtjr
Passenger

Awesome just awesome. Way to tackle a huge complex project thru to the finish. Beautiful car.

Historian
Detailer

Beautiful work!

audiobycarmine
Advanced Driver

SUPERB work Bart, and incredible dedication. 

You're a true inspiration! 

Solosolo
Intermediate Driver

One beautiful piece of work. Well done Sir.

Andy998
Passenger

Fantastic,  was that C-FLEX fiberglass planking you used

ronaldsimpson56
New Driver

I'd like to understand the process that he used the second time, and how that differed from setting up molds. It is not explained...how he built  the 'One ' body without a mold.

RW68RSConv
Intermediate Driver

I sincerely hope he shares how he developed those panels 'in away than he's never seen done."  I am tackling a project of my own... got the english wheel, sheet metal everywhere, ruined pieces, etc and now he has me second guessing everything.  PLEASE SHARE!!

BartleyJones
Passenger

It sounds like you’re where I was 18 months ago.  Yes, I believe I have a better way.  I’m going to start making some YouTube videos showing exactly how I did this.  What is your project?

knuck39
Pit Crew

wow....nice work Bart...never give up on your dreams!

brb
Advanced Driver

Awesome!

elldorado2000
Intermediate Driver

Except this "Ferrari" won't break down.  🙂

DUB6
Technician

And it probably won't cost $1400 for an oil change...

1fastcat
Intermediate Driver

Bart , you are a craftsman!Beautiful work, beautiful car .

Toplessshifter
New Driver

Amazing work! Now you need to pop in an LS3
spoom
Technician

Beautiful car, nicely done. Regarding panels not releasing, methods and release agents are like mentioning what oil is, "best". From my personal experience, Duratec MEK catalyzed polyester primer sanded down to #1000 is the way to start, then Hi-Lo wax and PVA are your friends.