cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

From cars to culture, the only constant is change

A test driver I met once who worked at Lamborghini around 1974 told me about Ferruccio Lamborghini’s last days with the troubled company. One afternoon, a group of workers confronted the comandante by the gate and asked about rumors that the factory was for sale. “Yes,” Ferruccio is said to have responded, “I found some idiota to buy this company.” Lamborghini retired to his vineyard with his fortune and watched as the idiota failed—as did the next one, and then the Italian government and a few idiots after that. The fact that Automobili Lamborghini still exists is in defiance of enormous odds ... Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/magazine-features/from-cars-to-culture-the-only-constant-is-change/

7 REPLIES 7
jvanpotter
New Driver

You've just renewed my spirit to keep trying to convince my spouse that I need a garage so that I can start work on the 1800ES restoration project I have.  And rehab the Saab 9000 Aero 5-speed.  And keep the 9-5 Aero 5-speed on the road.  Thank you. 

JohninNC
Advanced Driver

Unrelated to the article, but how cool would it be to have a Countach with a NSX drivetrain in it?  The cars are similar in weight but I'd imagine the NSX drivetrain is lighter than the Lambo's.

Sajeev
Community Manager

Wouldn't sound nearly as cool, but it would be far more reliable/maintenance free. 

1995Olds
Navigator

So in spending way too much money and time on keeping my 1995 Olds Cutlass convertible on the road actually has some kind of transcendental meaning?  Got to go tell the wife.  At the moment, she thinks I am some kind of idiota...

DUB6
Technician

You're not in a small club, 1995Olds - the membership of "spouse-thinks-I'm-an-idiota" is broad and growing!  😃

Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

You'd have to be living under a rock not to realize that for supercars, it's exactly the opposite today than it once was. They're EVERYWHERE and the manufacturers are all making so much money they build themed amusement parks! And when they have a really super expensive, crazy impractical car to wow people with -- IT'S SOLD OUT BEFORE THEY EVEN START THE RUN! Various Porsches, McLaren P1, La Ferrari, Ford GT... etc.

Seeing as it's mentioned in the article, Lamborghini sold 8,205 vehicles worldwide in 2019, up from 5,750 in 2018. What were their best numbers "back in the day"? 500? And could you imagine how hard Ferrari would have laughed his ass off to "sell" some 7 figure car to a sucker who never gets to actually take possession and can only use it on their test track? And they line up for it! No, the writer of this article has got it completely backwards and hasn't been paying attention.

And here's something very important to keep in mind. The electric car "boom" is an artificial creation. It is a product of bureaucracy and come and go politicians trying to be trendy and following the political winds of the moment. Those things are not authentic. They are not immutable. Human nature is. And if you want proof of how things can change fast, look no further than the saviour of the of the American internal combustion automobile. And don't forget to vote.

greenhue
Pit Crew

Cars are not automobiles and sexy cars are a joy to drive. Whether you drive a v8 or a 4 banger, if you like it, you enjoy it. All these tools that own a this or a limited that, and they don't drive it, that is why they are tools. I have always wanted a Pantera until I sat in one and nothing fit me right. Small footwell, steering wheel off center, and to get in and out of it, not what I wanted. I have a 70 Javelin as a weekend runner that brings me joy every time I use it and it is easier to work on than a exotic.