cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

Ford’s first muscle truck, the SVT Lightning, is still an affordable classic

General Motors is the reason Ford got into the muscle truck business in 1993. Ford’s crosstown rival lit up magazine covers with Chevy’s 1990 454SS and then the all-wheel-drive GMC Syclone a year later. Car and Driver even pitted a Syclone against a Ferrari 348ts, and the contest didn’t end well for Enzo. Ford’s corporate ego could only take so much.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/fords-first-muscle-truck-the-svt-lightning-is-still-an-af...

16 REPLIES 16
New Driver

Nice aricle but I guess we can kiss the good deals goodbye now. again!

Passenger

If I read this correctly, the GMC Syclone put the Ferrari 348ts to shame.  Yet, the Ford F150 SVT matched the GMC Syclone in acceleration which was 0-60 in 7.2 seconds.  Does that mean the Ferrari was slower than 7.2 seconds in the 0-60?

Community Manager

The Lightning never "matched" the Scyclone in anything, except for Ford's need to sell a truck with better performance than a regular F150.
Passenger

Nowhere does it mention the 99 to 04 SVT years which I think were the nicest style and best powered of them all. Try to fins a low milage one and you pay close to 30K!

New Driver

The Ford was a "truck", capable of hauling a 5,000 lb trailer (midsize truck capacity now, but was about right in '93). But it did not run with the Syclone  in a drag race (mid 4's to 60 if I remember correctly). However, the Syclone trailer towing was listed as "not recommended for towing" and only had a 500lb payload capacity (I think the Ford was 1,200). 

The Lightning was a truck that went fast. The Syclone was a Buick Grand National with a truck body (well it had a 4.3L to the Buick's 3.8). In the early 90's 7.2 sec to 60 was quick for a truck, but about a second off Mustang and Camaro times. But the Syclone and it's cousin the Typhon was wickedly fast through the quarter (just don't ask them to turn fast).

New Driver

1993 pickup truck is now a "classic" Wow...

New Driver

We own one of each color First Generation Lightning sport truck, and have found them to be a very reliable vehicle with very little in the way of problems.  Everyone who see's them is impressed with their look and performance sound.  Other than the exclusive seats, engine installation, spoiler and fog lights the F150 XLT versions have all the replacement parts that you'll need if something should arise.  Maybe Hallmark should produce an ornament celebrating the sport trucks.

Community Manager

WOW! I'd love to see photos of all three of them together.
Passenger

I have a 94 Indy Truck, pretty sure its first white one off the assembly line, hopefully will be in my family for generations.