cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Ford's Escape Hybrid was briefly every politician's favorite car

Much has been written of President Joe Biden being a "real car guy," with his love for Corvettes and his habit of doing acceleration tests with new EVs. But he's far from the first politician with an affinity for automobiles. Harry Truman was a Chrysler man. Trump collects expensive exotics.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/fords-escape-hybrid-was-briefly-every-politicians-f...
9 REPLIES 9
hyperv6
Racer

So we celebrate a not so great car but a great political prop.

Sad......
kyree-williams
Detailer

That’s just it; it actually *was* a good car, about as reliable as Toyota hybrids tend to be.
BMD4800
Gearhead

No, it wasn’t.

The 3.0 Duratec of the same era, yes.

Been there, done that.
MustangJim
Technician

It was a good , reliable car .. you are right that it was not a great car. In my opnion Ford fell **bleep** more then one is called).
MustangJim
Technician

What happened to my whole carefully typed out responce:)
I'll try to word it differently. Not a great car. Could have been better. We need props. At least is was domestic. Our fleets **bleep** Toyota even though they are manufactured here..
Sajeev
Community Manager

Sorry about the bleeps and the slashing of your response, we are working on a bleeping fix for this bleep, @MustangJim so please bear with us

MRFIXIT1599
Intermediate Driver

We had 4 of these as service vehicles for a long time. Drivetrain was dead reliable for 300k+ on all 4 of them. Water pumps were the only service ever required. Rust eventually killed them.
bradfa
Advanced Driver

I recall around this time some friends who live outside NYC desperately trying to buy an Escape Hybrid, mainly because of the huge discounts given for tolls when commuting into the city. Because of this, even several year old used ones with lots of miles were selling for near-MSRP prices within a few hundred miles of NYC.
DavidHolzman
Advanced Driver

Romney was just posing with the Escape hybrid. He told me he always "got the big engine."

Of course, a bunch of other 2008 candidates were posing with the Escape hybrid. There's a difference btw a politician's private and public life.