cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

Ford reveals 2021 F-150 and new PowerBoost drivetrain

Ford finally pulled the wraps off the 2021 F-150, showing the public the pickup for the first time by way of a streaming event from Willow Run, a former Ford assembly plant. The big news is the first hybrid F-150! Pairing an electric motor and regenerative braking with the 3.5L EcoBoost, Ford's calling it PowerBoost.

Read the full article at Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/ford-reveals-2021-f-150-and-new-powerboost-drivetrain/

7 REPLIES 7
Pepperalls
Detailer

In this case, I applaud them straying towards "safe" (very Rangerish to me) and less random bits added on which has been a thing in car design the past 5+ years (i.e., the cluttered Civics and all, the circa 2016 F150 grill with the little pokey bits into the headlights, etc.).

Hopefully they offer some regular cab versions. I get that crewcabs rule the market, but in the last year the local dealers have actually had the odd normal truck on the lot.

Germanicus
Intermediate Driver

Ford will sell you a new, regular cab F-150 because they still sell tons of them to fleets. You'll have to be fine with a long bed and spartan accomodations to buy one on a lot. I miss the classic proportions of the regular cab short bed pickup truck, but I only have two parking slots for myself. Therefore a truck in my driveway has to have 4 seats. Other people only have the money for one vehicle, and it's gotta haul the family around so that forces their hand into a crew cab. 

Sajeev
Community Manager

I am sure you will be able to special a regular cab with just about any feature you could get on other XLT body styles. Now getting a Platinum regular cab?  That would be a challenge...but a fun one if you bought a wrecked one off of copatr!

Germanicus
Intermediate Driver

As I've done a lot of car camping and tailgating at Gator football games in my life, I'd go hybrid over the sound and the fury of the 5.0 for that bigger power inverter. I would also appreciate any extra bonuses to fuel economy since I'm a city slicker. I'll wait for real-world fuel economy numbers because the EPA ratings on the F-150s today are total baloney.

I appreciate the evolution, not revolution of this new F-150's interior design. I was concerned when I heard Ford felt like they had to have a 12-inch screen to match the new Ram. The monstrosity in the new Mach E only upped my concern. But Ford got to 12 inches by shrinking the bezels around the screen, and they have retained good old-fashioned knobs and buttons for media and climate controls. It also looks like Ford transferred some of the Lincoln interior designers to work on the high-trim F-150s to stop defections to Ram. Looks nice but I wonder if the materials quality holds up in person. Ram nailed the details on those high-end trucks, from the quality of the leather to the feel of the rear door cards.

JimR
Instructor

Since I tend to keep a vehicle past warranty, I’d stay with the 5.0 with WAY less baggage than forced induction AND  battery. 
As mentioned there’s not much else that’s a radical departure...and as a current F150 KR owner that’s not a bad thing. I think the move to aluminum body a few years ago was much more evolutionary.

Rick2
Detailer

I just sold my 2015 regular cab short box. It was a great truck and over 42,000 miles I averaged 24.3 mpg with the basic 3.5 V6. I sold it because it was just to big. And I will not buy any "small" truck because I can't get a regular cab from anyone. Put your thinking cap on Ford!

brb
Instructor

I like the Pro Power option.  Nice to see a feature both clever and useful.  Can't say the same for the folding shifter.