cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

Ford Crestline Sunliner discovered in abandoned South Dakota mine

Years before the ground opened beneath the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky, and swallowed several Corvettes, a 1954 Ford Crestline Sunliner met the same fate in the Black Hills of South Dakota. No one really knows when the car disappeared—or if, perhaps, it was put there deliberately—but it’s safe to say no human had seen the white convertible in decades.

That is until recently, when Adam Weaver and members of Paha Sapa Grotto, a local organization within the National Speleological Society, discovered the car in abandoned gypsum mine that they assumed was a cave ...

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/ford-crestline-sunliner-discovered-in-abandoned-south-dakota-mine...

21 REPLIES 21
Rich8
Pit Crew

Hum.... its in super good shape, doesn't look to good to me! 

Faro
New Driver

It would be interesting to know why its not coming out.    Certainly a car with a mystery story would be of interest to someone!

Nobody57
Passenger

I think it was just a junker that was dumped in there to get rid of it. The one photo shows it's missing it's rear axle and wheels. I bet the rest of it is gutted also.

jophhart
Passenger

It looks more like a hardtop than a convertible.  You can clearly see the rear package shelf that a ragtop lacks and the same picture contains the remnants of the black steel roof

Kjape
Passenger

Looks like a great youtube series project for Devin xD

acooper529
Intermediate Driver

Yes. I agree with Nobody57. No rear differential? NOT really in good shape at all?

LuizBerwanger
New Driver

Amazing! For sure will stay there  

Spyder550
Passenger

Nice patina. I would not restore it and drive it as is. 

SilentBoy741
Detailer

So THAT's where I left that thing.  Man, what a weekend that was!  All I remember is a lot of tequila, a "dancer" named Kandi, and something about a circus monkey?

BPatLeMays
Intermediate Driver

Usually, you mine for actual gold in South Dakota

Zephyr
Detailer

Hard to believe, but back in the 60's cars like this were considered worthless junk. In the San Francisco Bay area there are creeks here and there that were lined with cars from the 40's and 50's and then buried, to prevent erosion. You can now see bits and pieces of the cars sticking out from the bank.

ScottC
Intermediate Driver

Dude, I lost my car.

jc340
Intermediate Driver

It was actually Kandi the Circus Monkey that crashed the car.  Never give a monkey alcohol.

OldCarMan
Advanced Driver

This was definitely NOT a convertible. The black top is crushed and pushed forward. The structure for the package tray is quite visible. I will try to post an enlarged and much brighter last picture that clearly shows this.
I was never great at chemistry, but I think gypsum is not unlike lime, which is very reactive. Add in ground moisture and humidity  and it is formula for bubbling the paint right off. The prior photo shows the right door either open or popped open by the crushing. even if there wasn't a giant boulder on top of it, i suspect it was badly corroded and not salvageable. (Never heard of goodly corroded!)
I posit that maybe it was stolen and stashed there to bury, or hide it...
Can't post the pic, dammit!

Sajeev
Community Manager

Thanks for contributing and I am sorry about the problem when trying to attach a photo.  Will this help? https://community.hagerty.com/t5/community-help-and-guidelines/community-help-how-to-attach-a-photo-...

audiobycarmine
Intermediate Driver

… A cave scene from Woody Allen’s “Sleeper”, set in the future… 

It’s a 200-year-old Volkswagen!” Three seconds later, it starts right up. Naturally. 

HistoryFan
Passenger
HistoryFan
Passenger

Bruold
New Driver

Pictures are too small to see anything, photogofer needs work 

f1justus
Passenger

The rear half of the drive train is missing maybe evidenced of the car  was stolen and striped.  

Steverinomeiste
Passenger

I want a detailed video, that’s a pretty lame picture.