cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grace
Hagerty Employee

Ford closes a historic chapter with one last car show

Big changes are taking place at Ford’s Research & Engineering Center in Dearborn, Michigan. Last year, Ford revealed plans to overhaul the campus in order to “speed product innovation and attract world-class talent.” The contemporary layout features a new central building to be built on the current site of Ford’s Product Development Center (PDC), and demolition of the Styling Building is already underway. For 67 years, every North American Ford vehicle, from Mustangs to Mercurys and trucks to tractors, was developed at the PDC. To celebrate the building's legacy, Ford threw one last party, a car show, before the old brick-and-mortar bowed out to make way for the next-generation facility.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/events/ford-closes-a-historic-chapter-with-one-last-car-show/

11 REPLIES 11
spoom
Technician

I can't help but wonder if the new facility will help us decide which competitor's vehicle to buy when we are ready to trade our current sedans in, since Ford's not going to build them. Maybe a nice American (built) Hyundai, Nissan, Toyota Mercedes, etc? 

onteo
Pit Crew

I vote American made Honda. So reliable. 220k on my 04 Civic and still has most original parts including the exhaust. Oh, and keep your Mustang Mach-E or whatever it is called. I don't know what's worse that or a 4 door Porsche.

greenhue
Pit Crew

Who said you can't keep building 66 Broncos today? And what kind of design energy is going to be flowing with the new cars they will design? The only changes made is where the media center will be and how many LED lights are out front. Cars have reached the pinnacle of efficiency and that is why they all look the same, but keep some history around like a Model T or a 65 Mustang to show these kids how it was done back in the day. 

Guitar74
Gearhead

It seems more like the pinnacle of mundane. I would argue that tey look the same from a styling standpoint because one manufacturer made a car look a certain way. It sold well. And other manufacturers told themselves, "We need our (insert car name here)!" I may be in the minority, but I would say it's more of a lack of imagination.

Flashman
Technician

20,0000?

exford
Pit Crew

I've been to the PDC countless times and sat through many product reviews. Great memories. Thanks for the article.

Numberscruncher
Detailer

Shame on Ford for killing off the automobiles. Yeah, it's cheaper to build SUVs and Pickups, and you can sell them for overinflated prices, but not everyone wants that "stuff."

SuperCommando
Pit Crew

I'm glad I'm near retirement age...open air office space is highly overrated and encourages everyone to tune out to keep sane, and unfortunately that carries into the personal life.  I don't want to go through life with the default mode of blocking everything out.  If the pandemic ever ends, I can't see corporations not wanting to save money by ridding themselves of office square footage expenses and pushing/keeping office work to remote connectivity.  I'm employed in the data center operations field and my employer has worked for years towards a 'lights out' operation, and the pandemic worker accommodations have only supported this model.   Bottom line its not clear that Ford will make great use of these new office construction, after bulldozing some beautiful mid-century architecture.  

Jneal3
Pit Crew

Much more than historic brick and mortar dies with the old PDC; a company made up of car guys instead of software engineers is dying with it. Very few can turn a wrench anymore, maybe they don’t need that know-how, but loss of it is just sad.  I loved making presentations to VP’s in that building who used to drag race...

Jneal3
Pit Crew

Much more than historic brick and mortar dies with the old PDC; a company made up of car guys instead of software engineers is dying with it. Very few can turn a wrench anymore, maybe they don’t need that know-how, but loss of it is just sad.  I loved making presentations to VP’s in that building who used to drag race...

78pinto
Passenger

It was an honor to have me and my car get an invitation to attend this show. It was a thrill to be a part of history. However, its sad to see the PDC going away, so much history there.