cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For the love of a BMW Bavaria

I have eight cars insured with Hagerty—seven BMWs and the Lotus Europa—that comprise my not-a-collection. In these coronaviral times, when events are few and far between, I simply try and pleasure-drive them to keep them exercised. But there’s one of them that never ceases to surprise me, and that’s my 1973 BMW Bavaria ...

Read the full column on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/for-the-love-of-a-bmw-bavaria/

Replies (14)

Replies (14)

Love the DIY muffler wrap.  Due to Covid I just did the same to my XJ6 exhaust pipe.  When I was young I couldn't afford flashing and clamps so I used cut up cans and coat hangers.

Pit Crew

Thanks Rob.  This makes me sad to think we have to sell our 1974 Bavaria (moving).  It also has a clean body but just 45,000 mi.  We mostly putter around town on Sundays in it, but when I get a chance on the Interstate it's fun to pass everyone.  There's no car like it IMHO.  Walt in MA.

Passenger

My neighbor has several older BMW's.  He reminded me of their slogan, "The ultimate driving machine."  They were never inexpensive, but today's more complex BMW's have a new slogan, "The ultimate wallet depleting machine."

Pit Crew

In 1973 I was a junior in high school when my father decided to buy a new family car. I remember trying to talk him into a Bavaria since it was a well engineered, practical, roomy four-door sedan. But Dad was a "Pontiac man" and wasn't about to take advice from a 17 year old who was trying to sell him on the idea of a foreign car that he had to shift gears himself. He bought a new Grand Prix. 

New Driver

Rob, no need to put an apology in the first part of your article.  Anyone who has crested 60 years of age and is still doing what you're doing deserves some grace.  Thanks for this very interesting article and what you do.  While many of us can sit here in our Coronavirus tinged places and shoot opinions over the interweb, you just get er done.  Thank you for your thoughtful words and intriguing storyline.  

Pit Crew

As a car crazy 15 year old I was introduced to BMWs by a high school friend. His father owned a 1973 Bavaria and it was a gem. Fast smooth and a joy to drive, when i got a chance at age 16. No power steering so the bus sized wheel was needed at slow speeds. Fast forward a year and I convinced my dad to buy first a 2002 and then a 530i. I passed my drivers test in a 2002 in 1976. My first car was that 530i given to me after graduation from university by kind parents. I have had a BMW in the fleet ever since. Currently I have a E36 euro model M3 insured through Hagerty and an E46 M3. 

I have a very soft for the bavaria, my introduction to BMWs

New Driver

I do miss having an E3 around.

I don't miss my 1972 Bavaria that I had for 15 years, but I miss having one in general.

New Driver

Oh, yes - very much "get" this. I bought a totally rust free "California" BMW 2800 - not the coupe. Most of my cars are British - SIII XJ6, '66 E-Type coupe, '69 Elan coupe, ' Frogeye Sprite, '60 Morris Minor, Land Rover Discovery - but I have great memories of some enjoyable somewhat illegal but pretty safe high-speed runs in eastern Oregon on deserted roads in the Bimmer. It now sits in a friend's garage - he loaned it to another friend who crunched the left rear a bit, and so it sits and sits. I confess to being tempted, as it is still rust-free... 
Being used to British cars (I grew up in the UK and I expect them to run reliably assuming knowledgeable maintenance, which I am luckily able to render) I have had no real issues with regularly using any of my Brit cars, but the Bimmer gives a pleasantly different - not better, just different - driving feel. 

Just what I need - another restoration -

Passenger

When I was a student at Amherst College 50 years ago (close enough to 45 years), I can't recall any Bavarias on campus, and I have no idea what the chairman of the math dept. drove, but I do know that the head of the Classics Dept. John Moore, drove an old red boxy Triumph Herald convertible coupe, which was definitely a cool car. We did have some other cool cars there; in my fraternity lived one of our football players, Jean Fugett (who later went on to play for the Steelers), and who drove a brand-new lime green Porsche 911T, acquired god-knows-how. The coolest car had to be the fly-yellow Ferrari 275 GTB/2 shortnose, owned by Reeves Calloway (of Calloway turbo Corvette fame), who attended there for a year or two before dropping out to get into the automotive boost business. These days, I assume the students all drive Priuses, or ride bicycles…

Passenger

One of the Engineers I worked with at Fermilab back in the early 1970's had a Bavaria. Very nice car, and it was much quicker than it looked.

Intermediate Driver

I had a friend who bought a beautiful light blue met. Bavaria in 1973. It was navy inside with an automatic transmission. I was not familiar even though beemers were becoming more common in CT displacing Mercedes and Cadillacs. That 3.0 engine was turbine smooth, and realizing one is driving at twice the speed limit was a common problem. I remember also other BMW owners would flash hi beams in recognition, it was like being in a certain elite group. 

Pit Crew

That red 3.0 is rad!  What a great look. 

Intermediate Driver

the "m roadster", 1998-2002.  non-numeric

Pit Crew

2800 and 3.0 have same hp in the US, both around 170 as the 3.0 had compression of 8.0:1. 

Passenger