cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

First Look Review: 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning

There's a chance you, dear reader, haven't driven a Tesla yet, but odds are you've spent some time in a Ford F-series. The Ford F-150 is all things to all people; the market leader in a field of also-rans. This YouTube of vehicles offers a seemingly endless combination of bed, powertrain, interior and technology options [...]
https://www.hagerty.com/media/new-car-reviews/first-look-review-2022-ford-f-150-lightning/
72 REPLIES 72
hyperv6
Racer

This is a very basic EV compare to what we will see next year. Longer range and charging like 100 miles in 10 min are just about here. 

Then factor in in 10 years the advancements and improvement's on cost. 

Batteries since 2015 have dropped from $1200 kWh to below $100 kWh. Ranges have grown and more features will be seen. 

This is not an over night thing. I really caution people on this truck as you have not seen anything yet. 

This truck is more a conversion and not a real dedicated EV. 

Ford has done a great job of marketing but really compare it to the coming trucks and you will see a large gap. 

Not all the automakers are doing a good job of explaining these new vehicles. 

CitationMan
Gearhead

EV battery costs have not dropped below $100 per kWh. They were $132/kWh in 2021 and are scheduled to rise to $135/k20Wh in 2022 due mineral cost fluctuations.

hyperv6
Racer

Not true batteries for some buses and trucks are below $100 kWh since 2020. It was expected the cars will reach this by 2030. 

Bot all batteries are the same and inflation now may slow the decline. 

The point was they were $1200 in 2015 so cost have come down significantly. Also better electronics are taking and improving range. 

Companies are investigating Lithium batteries for lower cost options and faster charging for those wanting cheaper but can live with less range.

There are other options and tech being investigated such as a 2 speed transmission that would permit smaller batteries and longer range. 

CitationMan
Gearhead

The sheer weight of the Lightning, Hummer, and Rivian EV’s is disturbing and does not bode well for those of us who drive 4000lb vehicles. This is a safety issue that no one is talking about. A 6500lb Lightning hitting a 4000lb vehicle will make even a low speed crash much more dangerous.

Remember that crash test star ratings are a joke. Ever wonder how a Miata can have a 5 star crash rating? It’s only judged against cars of comparable size and weight. 

hyperv6
Racer

This is just a shade more in weight of a Porsche Cayenne. Not seen any issues there. 

CitationMan
Gearhead

Totally not true. From a 2 minute online search:

Porsche Cayenne: 4582-4740lbs

Ford Lightning: 6590lbs

Rivian R1T: 7143lbs

Hummer EV: 9046lbs

Not “…just a shade more…”

My original point remains. As these things become more prevalent, the safety issues and deaths will increase. The government CAFE regulations caused increased deaths, just like heavy EVs will.

hyperv6
Racer

Keep in mind this is just curb weight the Cayenne gross weight is 6261 so they are in spitting distance, 

You do realize how many trucks on the road are 6000 pounds or more. 

If you don’t like EV that is fine but get a better talking point. This one few will gather around. 

Geok86
Instructor

And they accelerate like an exotic super car… what could possibly go wrong?!?!
Jimc1
New Driver

The problem I have, is you have to upgrade from the Pro to the XLT in order to get the extended range battery, That accounts for a $33,000 price increase. I had put in to buy until they told me this, so I withdrew my deposit.
Sajeev
Community Manager

Apparently exceptions are made for fleet buyers, but yes, that doesn't help much unless you know a fleet buyer who can sneak an order in for you. 

Hacksaw
Detailer

I will stick with my 2010 Ranger. Not about to pay more for a pickup truck than my first home. Just can't do it.
dbier
Intermediate Driver

Just pulled a double axle enclosed Uhaul trailer behind my Honda Odyssey 400 miles one way to load up my kid's college furnishings. With 3 kids I've done this numerous times - and done many family road trips fully loaded and a waverunner in tow. Until an EV can provide the same flexibility and capability as I have now I will take a pass. This also includes range reduction during our very cold winter months and hot summers (heater and A/C further reduce EV range).  

danhise
Advanced Driver

Wow, Sajeev! You got a mighty theme, and produced a mighty article. I'm not going to be getting a truck, but I can still appreciate this one vicariously. Some wonderful comments from the F-150 World.
Sajeev
Community Manager

Gotta rise to the occasion, sometimes! 

mblair441
New Driver

My ranch is 174 miles round-trip. I regularly haul trailers with 4 to 5 thousand pounds of hay, supplies, cattle, or horses etc. What is my effective range and how long does it take to recharge?
hyperv6
Racer

Not sure on the Ford but the Chevy truck will do 100 mpg in 10 min with the good charger. It will do around 400 miles per charge. 

That is the starting point for the Chevy and it is expected to increase in the next few years, also they will offer more models. 

dbier
Intermediate Driver

I doubt Ford or any of the electric truck makers will want to answer those questions - or how badly range is impacted by winter cold and summer heat (using interior A/C). 

Sajeev
Community Manager

Too many variables (temperature, speed, flat or hilly elevation, etc.) to know for sure. But the odds are you won't make the round trip journey in a Lightning with the extended range battery, range estimates go everywhere from 160 miles to under 100 miles.

Wouldn't be a problem if you can charge up a tad, for 10-20 mins at your destination, though. 

zcobrausa
New Driver

How far can it tow an 8000 lb trailer? Having the torque to get it moving is one thing, being able to get it somewhere is more important. I know the Rivian review had around 150 mile range with a 2000lb trailer and 90% battery depletion.
brb
Instructor

An enthusiastic write up on an interesting vehicle. Which model did you order?
Sajeev
Community Manager

My 2011 Ranger will suffice until I pay off my mortgage, but otherwise that rig is hard to resist. 

woodyambison
Intermediate Driver

What the Frunk ?! $40,000 is reasonable ?
I have no interest in this garbage.
Not trying to beat up the author but who cares about handling or screens or all the other useless trash.
My truck hauls, tows thats it.
It is a TRUCK not a entertainment.
I like simple strong no muss no fuss.
Sajeev
Community Manager

Considering Ford stopped making cars to ensure car buyers choose trucks instead, your needs for a truck are only one of many in today's market.