cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

First Look Review: 2022 Chevrolet Silverado ZR2

It seems that an automaker's confidence in a new vehicle is inversely proportional to the amount of marketing jargon used to sell the car, truck, or human-mobility solution on offer. When Chevrolet gave us its big pitch before we drove the Silverado ZR2, the technical details included the major highlights: a 420-hp V-8, front and rear locking differentials, and lots of skid plates.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/new-car-reviews/first-look-review-2022-chevrolet-silverado-zr2/
17 REPLIES 17
exc911ence
Intermediate Driver

Did GM fire all of their stylists in the truck department just before the previous Silverado was penned? This, and the last generation are hideous! The hood is a foot higher than it needs to be, and the entire front end is a void of black not unlike the backside of a refrigerator!
Huntz-Hall
Detailer

Yup, well said exc911ence. It's blinking hideous, two time over!!!
JGeske
Instructor

I especially agree on the hood height. Visibility off-road is compromised in all of the latest trucks, all in the name of "looking macho". Granted, most of them don't go further off-road than rolling off the curb leaving the driveway, but still. Overall I never have considered the chevy's to be the most attractive of trucks, but in my opinion the last decent one was 1st Gen GMT 800s.
baileyman
New Driver

When people test drive a vehicle with such a tall vertical front, do they ever bump a test dummy to see what kind of damage a slow speed hit will do? Do they ever pretend their kid is on the driveway in the front enormous blind spot and then try to park it without risk? Things an insurance company might concern itself with.
hyperv6
Collector

Bailyman. These come with pedestrian detection and also cameras in more places than you realize to see what is around all sides of the truck. The 360 will give you a full view or you can go to the front, side or rear. The Hummer actually has these plus three under the truck. 

Knowing what is around you is not difficult or risky. 

Add all this with the mirrors should you hit something it will be due to pure ignorence. 

dothats
New Driver

Pedestrian detection - potential point of failure

Cameras - potential point of failure

360 view - potential point of failure

Thinking that sensors will save you from driving improperly in the first place is pure ignorance. Technology breaks and will always have a delay in the system. Nothing beats eyeballs. It's funny, we teach first time drivers to turn their head when backing up, to look both ways before they proceed into an intersection, or even approaching a crosswalk. Why is that? Because technology can break, sensors can respond incorrectly (ever driven in the snow?), and tech is unreliable. Simply put, no amount of technology will make a truck with a 5 FOOT TALL HOOD safer for pedestrians than not making it so big.

Do you work for Chevy? 

hyperv6
Collector

The drivers eyes potential point of failure. 

Your point is a bit extreme and very unlikely. Most cases of accidents start with the driver not paying attention not the height of the hood. Add drugs and drinking to that and it increases the trouble to the third power. 

If you just don't like the styling of tall vehicles that is fine but don't say things that just are not likely or put the blame on the most likely culprit an inattentive driver. 

MustangJim
Technician

I will not say the visibility is good or bad as I have not driven one but c'mon..its not like the driver is blind folded. The cameras and sensors are reliably and repairable if they break and the driver still has windows to look out. Heck, I can back a 72 Mustang into a parking space perfectly straight.. talk about poor visibility!!!!! More pedestrians and vehicles are hit by regular old CUV/SUV's every day by distracted drivers. Please don't explain that is because there are more of them so the percentage is higher..
richard2
Detailer

I think the issue I have with this is the fact that the auto makers have made a decision to rely on cameras instead of good body design. As a result, expect hoods and fenders and truck beds to get larger and more invasive of driver's lines of sight. In other words, they will go full "bulk" while relying on tech to save the day. Poor choice, IMO. (plus the 'full bulk' is ugly as anything, IMO)
JGeske
Instructor

I am with you here, as is my father. My father is a life long truck owner, currently in a 21 Silverado 1500, that replaced his 17 Sierra 1500, that replaced his 11 RAM 2500 Big Horn, and so on. He worked until 2016 for an electric utility that he started at when he was 19, has held a CDL since he was 19, and spent 50+ hrs a week driving line trucks with pole trailers behind them. He can back up a huge truck and long pole trailer with poor visibility via mirrors alone, and yet he complains/complained constantly about the Silverado and Sierra and RAM having piss-poor visibility when he is driving in the woods, unable to see when he is close to rocks or stumps. He finds the cameras to be useless because they are either covered in snow, mud, or salt most of the time. He wishes, as do I, that a modern version of the old Dodge A-series and Jeep FC-series were available.

hyperv6
Collector

Nice package on a very good truck. The key to this is this truck is much cheaper than the other two and is a much better daily driver. It will have much better on road ability and towing than the other more focused off road trucks.  This one loaded up will just be over where the Raptor starts. 

I expect a Supercharger option will be coming. 

I love the new Blue and the interior on the truck I saw was nice. The Horizontal screen is much better than that Vertical deal. Also the controls are still on switches for most things like they should be. 

topside
Instructor

Sounds like a capable truck - and at $73K, it sure OUGHT to be - but I agree with the comments on the fugly GM styling of late. I look away when I pass the 2 GM dealers in town, haha, and would much rather look at my '89 GMC Dually...which is currently in the pleasant position of paying ME to own it, since I pay nothing for it and their value has significantly appreciated. In spite of - and arguably BECAUSE of - its near-prehistoric amenities (aka "modern inconveniences") - it remains simple, bulletproof, and enjoyable. I literally giggle when I take it out for a drive or trailer one of my cars with it. Roundabout 10 MPG whatever's asked of it, but I can buy a LOT of gas for the price differential...

Nice colors, hideous front end. $70K? Is it 4/20 already?
DanielD
Pit Crew

It seems like there is some censorship going on here. My last comment seems to have disappeared. I didn't expect this from Hagerty.
hyperv6
Collector

As for the complaints on the price. I just saw the average, this is just Average price is now  over $46,000.  

Add to this the competition is the Raptor that just starts around $70,000 and will cost around $86,000 once you get the options you want. The TRX Ram is in the $95,000 range and can hit $100,000 with the right options. 

In this day and age of inflation nothing is cheap. The average vehicle price just went up over $5,000 over last year. 

Not defending it but just pointing out the realities of today. 

MustangJim
Technician

Very nice truck. While it only has one powertrain option its a good one , and for its purpose and proably more limited sales, it only needs one engine. I am happy its a N.A. V8 and those who know me here, know I'm a Ford guy so touting Chevy is a big thing for me.
mishkarag
New Driver

Never mentioned the seats. In the past I have bypassed GM because the seats were so bad. Any review has to include a seat review to be valid.