cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

First Look: 2022 Mercedes-Benz S580 | Hagerty Media

Forget the fabled Autobahn; if you want to understand the new S-Class, you gotta take it to the Hutch. Which in this case is not a piece of a furniture, or a particularly well-painted BMX frame, but rather the Hutchinson River Parkway, a nineteen-mile traffic jam running from the Bronx to the Connecticut state line.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/new-car-reviews/first-look-2022-mercedes-benz-s580/
17 REPLIES 17
Ark-med
Intermediate Driver

"Post-opulence," Rolls Royce calls its purportedly toned-down styling. Though they haven't quite pulled it off quite like this Benz, the Sybaritic innards of which evade the Bolsheviks' pitchforks due to its A-class lease-special exterior.
Though I'd have liked my Davos-express to be camouflaged under a Hyundai's skin. But, wait, Hyundai makes one — except that the G90 looks more Bentley than a Bentley. Time for the Phæton to rise again?
Jack_Hagerty

Great minds think alike -- the "post-opulence" thing had occurred to me as I watched a group of these S-Classes drive by the press trip hotel. Hate to say it, but you're right. The G90 absolutely looks like more of a prestige car than the S580 from at least three of the car's four sides.
PRScott
Detailer

But under the skin that Genesis is still just a Hyundai. And who can forget the Pony?
Jack_Hagerty

The "just a Hyundai" dig seems less pointed in a world where Daimler-Benz released the W210 and let it fester in the public eye for years 🙂
Tim
Instructor

I've been riding "post opulence" since I downgraded my A8 for mere Fords. 🙂 I definitely missed some avant garde features like the solar-powered sunroof that helped vent the cabin of hot air, but in the end, I found my bank account preferred I live a more plebeian lifestyle. 😄 There is the amount of money required to afford a vehicle such as these and then there's the amount of money required to justify purchasing and owning a vehicle such as these. 😉
audiobycarmine
Advanced Driver

Exterior styling's yawn-inducing.
Borrring!
CitationMan
Instructor

I think I’d rather buy the last Lexus LS460 with the naturally aspirated V8. It looks like a Camry, so it’s definitely “post opulent”.

MeJ
Detailer

While I think a German luxury car should be a bit under-stated I also believe it should have some sort of presence. It should command a little bit of awe when looked at. I feel they got the under-stated part right but missed the second point.
Just a tad boring for my taste.
944racer
Pit Crew

Well, as the owner of three Benzes and former owner of an S-Class, I'm probably right in the target demographic for this thing. Personally, I like the styling a lot.

It's a calm counterpoint to the whacky swage lines, gaping grilles, and "look at me" brand cues that BMW and Audi are pushing these days. I like the Genesis G90, too, although I'd like it *better* without the unnecessary detail on the headlights/cornering lights, and the non-functional chrome fender vent. And FWIW, I totally disagree with you about the W221 - I skipped that generation and bought a W211 E-Class based on the 221's too-busy styling alone.

A 208-inch-long sedan makes a statement with its sheer size, and its unconventional not-an-SUV-ness. Nobody is going to see this in the office parking lot and mistake it for a $40k car, just because it doesn't have enough surface lines.

I think the real question here is whether it's worth $60-70k more than a CPO W222 S560. The answer to that depends on how much you like OLED screens, I guess.
Reinhold_Weege
Advanced Driver

A 1987 Chrysler 5th Ave is 207 inches long and the red seats don't look like they came from the same aisle as AutoZone mud flaps. Guess I'll have to wait for the next generation; again.
JSievers
Detailer

I've owned a W221 S-Class and currently have a W222 model. I love the clean new look, and if anything would prefer a simpler front end with less lower grille size. The beauty in this redesign lies in the details, the taillights, the door handles, the headlights and the absolutely stunning new interior. I will probably upgrade in 3-4 years when used models are selling for one-third their new price (thank you very much luxury car depreciation). In the meantime I'll continue to enjoy my current model. BTW, the fix for the floaty ride is very simple; put the suspension in sport mode.
Dave404
Detailer

I think the current Mercedes Benz styling is very boring and sometimes ugly. The cars they made during the years 2005-2012 give or take, were awesome! Ever see the front end of an SLR or even a CLK?
Smileamile
Intermediate Driver

Is it heads-up, or head-up? The plural implies everyone keeps their eyes up. If only the driver must keep their eyes on the road, maybe it’s head-up display. Just sayin’....
Jack_Hagerty

I will confess that I don't know; this is one of those neologisms, like "fashy", that seem to have arrived with no instructions on the tin.
JohninNC
Advanced Driver

Yikes, that looks like a 10 year old Hyundai or Genesis or whatever.
Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

It wasn't long ago when Mercedes was making interesting looking cars that stood out. What happened?
Silvermane
Pit Crew

That looks like a helleva lot of gizmos to go wrong in a very pricey way, which is becoming the norm unfortunately. And those headrest pillows...yeah, they may be comfy...but look really bad.