cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

“Fiero Jon” is the Pontiac mid-engine maestro

"Fiero Jon" is the Pontiac superhero identity of Jon Miller. His recently expanded, 10-bay auto service shop, Jon Miller Car Care Center, usually has a few Fieros parked outside among the modern Chevys, Hondas, Fords, Nissans, Ram pickups and many others. None of those would be there, however, if not for the Fieros.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/fiero-jon-pontiac-mid-engine-maestro/

6 REPLIES 6
Intermediate Driver

I drove a Fiero to the Navy Recruiters office, Every Duty Station I ever served at, College all the way to graduation, to get my Retired Military ID, took my wife on our first date in it, to the first home I ever owned, and I have Photos of it at what is now my second home back when it was Dad's place. That was all with ONE car! I really don't get the bad reputation that these cars have, I now own a Scion xA with 225,000 miles on it and until recently it was still the second most reliable car I ever owned, miles to repairs, behind the Fiero. If I hadn't been rear ended by a kid in a Festiva I would probably still be driving that Fiero. Of all the cars I have ever owned it is the only one that I have a framed photo of on the shelf with the Family photos, and it is alone in the photo.

Passenger

I worked as a Tech at a Pontiac store when the Fiero debuted. We sold them for well over MSRP. One of our customers Fiero never made it home. She was broadsided by a Cadillac and rolled a few times. She got out of the car without a scratch. She quickly bought another. I remember the lifter bore problem and swung quite a few of those engines. As a Pontiac Service Craftsman Guild member we all received the MPC Fiero model. I still have mine in the unwrapped box.  

Pit Crew

I always liked the look of the Standard car over the GT. Such a good looking compact design. I'm 6'3 so the sunroof models are out, takes away head room. I almost bought a white 1988 4 cyl. car in 1995 for $3000.00 but the Salesman was being a douche over $100.00 So I walked. Wish I bought it. lol.

New Driver

I read"with detachable plastic body panels".  That's what I wanted when I bought my 1985 Fiero GT so that I could take them all off and rustproof the heck out of the space frame.  But no, they are glued together.  They are about as "detachable" as the panels on a corvette (and they aren't of course).  So I drove the car through 14 years and 160,000 miles of Michigan winters - and the engine cradle, sunroof support structure,  brake and fuel lines all rusted pretty badly.  Can't complain.  A Camaro or Firebird would have rusted out much faster.  Sold it.  Then drove a Chevy lumina van (with plastic panels of course). 

New Driver

Ahh finally the Fiero gets some accolades! I have an 87 gt that I have put way too much money into but I don't care, when I take the car into a curve going way too fast it handles so predictably that I never fear. Any time someone wants to make fun of my car or tell me I better have a fire extinguisher I always say follow me into some curves.... The 2.8 is under powered but with a cam flat top pistons bigger valves and 17 pound injectors it comes alive. I wish G.M. would do a redesign on the Fiero....I think with a proper budget it would be a hit.

Passenger

Our 84 was ordered in November of 83 and delivery was in early 84. It now has 65000 miles and gets driven for 2 months during the warmer months. A fun car to drive, but it's getting a little hard to get in and out of.