cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

FIA introduces sustainable biofuel to Formula 1, commits to being carbon neutral in 2021 | Hagerty Media

Formula 1 will switch to 100-percent sustainable fuel, the use of which will be mandatory for all teams starting in 2026. F1's governing body, the Federation Internationale De L'Automobile (FIA), announced this week that it has delivered the first barrels of the fuel to power-unit manufacturers in an effort to become carbon-neutral in 2021 and [...]
https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorsports/fia-introduces-sustainable-biofuel-to-formula-1-commits-to...
19 REPLIES 19
petersalt
Intermediate Driver

oh, well .. science and tech can CERTAINLY be advanced on any front .. even if by panic-stricken (moron) lemmings who have bought into Anthropogenic Global Warming erroneous theories. [Earth's climates are mostly influenced by the Sun's cycles, and C02 is too small an actor in warming functions to be a significant cause.]

OldCarMan
Instructor

AND, the chutzpah that think mere humans caused all of this. Never mind the industrial revolution that started the world on a path to civilization instead of peasant farmers.
DT
Detailer

Us old guys may not like change but all of the Bitching in the world isn't going to stop it. We are dinosaurs and will soon be extinct anyway 🙂
spoom
Technician

And in a related story of equal importance, I can't seem to find the olive oil version of, "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" anymore.
fastfords
New Driver

Fuel is a very small part of any overall impact. How many tires do they use? What about carbon fiber manufacturing processes? Travel to and from events, million dollar motor homes, etc..... I applaud technological advancement but this is just pandering to the environmental extremists.
OldCarMan
Instructor

Yeah, the eco-fascists are out of the asylum!!
Worst part is they run stuff and reproduce!
LamboEd
Intermediate Driver

I'm sick of the power plant crap! This is RACING. Go back to the V12 or the V10 like Alonso demonstrated in Yas Marina last week. I've been to over 20 F1 races around the world and I remember what those V12 and V10 engines sounded like! And if I needed a refresher of what a REAL F1 car sounded like, a couple of years ago at the Ferrari get together in Daytona they had about a dozen F1 cars from various years on track I was in the infield where the cars where coming out of the first horseshoe and the drivers where getting back on the throttle and the cars where just SCRFEECHING!!! And then I could here them in the distance on the high banks and back straight, still screeching! I could tell which ones had the V12! That was music to my ears!!! A wonderful sound that I hadn't heard in person in quite a few years!!! Thats what a F1 car should sound like! Amen! Trash the power plant and all this garbage!. fastfords hit it right on the nail in his post!
Duc851
New Driver

One more move towards the death of the F1
jaysalserVW
Detailer

Going to produce "bio-fuels " while working naked? Going to save on clothing (made by fossil fuels), tools (made by fossil fuels), housing (made by fossil fuels), food (produced through the use of fossil fuels)--all for an ideal dreamed up by people who want you to follow blindly their path to nowhere?
None of what we have was achieved by these idealists who are scheming dreamers with no proof of anything.
Duc851
New Driver

F1 is already hyper boring, dying pretty fast, and this move will mark one more step towards it.
LM cars are better, faster, higher tech, more attarctive.
All this move towards electric and alternative stuff, is only directed at transportation... not passion.
How much passion is ignited when you board the MagLev in Shangai? NONE !! and still it is faster that F1...... how much passion when you ride the Ferrari Roller Coaster in Abu Dhabi..... NONE !! and it accelerates faster that an F1.......

Automotive passion will be shrinking gradually until just a small group of people will keep it up in private clubs and stuff like that.

An electric car will NEVER generate any passion at all...... a couple of years ago, in Paris for the E Formula they were giving out in the street, for free, 20.000 tickets to see the race. Only 8,000 were taken, probably mostly by street bums. What a disaster ! And the Paris E formula GP had to be done on the streets of Paris, as NOBODY would even bother to drive or ride out to a Race Track to see that.
964c4
Intermediate Driver

Sad deal all around and an embarrassment to motorsport.
KeninFL
New Driver

The temper of the responses here, though not unexpected, makes me think that somewhere there is a small group of fierce adherents to chariot racing. Their skill and dedication to the craft of their sport is remarkable, and they have no regard for anything that isn't horse-powered.
Have we partisans of the V-12, V-10 or whatever configuration of engine is preferred lost something by not following the pre-engine racing?
Perhaps.
But who here misses chariot racing?
drhino
Instructor

There are plenty of folks that still love horse racing; although it may simply be the betting that brings folks in. Certainly not an expert, here.

“Progress” is certainly a complicated subject when it comes to things you’re passionate about. Typically; you like things the way they were when you were growing up. Also, it’s easy to dismiss those who are partial to “the way things were”— if you’re a proponent of the next thing. Probably a good idea to try to look at the other side of the coin, at least once in a while; and try to understand.

And by the way; the V10s were fantastic! The way I look at this announcement by F1: at least they aren’t going electric.
OldCarMan
Instructor

Maybe you would prefer chariots pulled by pink unicorns?
Certainly as effective as BSfuels. But PC BS rules Europe despite no actual real science behind the chicken littles!
Zephyr
Advanced Driver

I was trying to think of something funny to say, but then I realized you can't make a joke about a joke. This is racing - it's suppose to be an escape from the real world, not more reality. This is like NASCAR requiring that all the stock cars actually be showroom stock.
Billthecat707
Detailer

Wow, what a wonderfully novel idea, stock cars for the National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing. Or at least stock appearing cars.
CoBoyd
New Driver

Hopefully they’ll utilize existing biofuels that are already readily available, much cleaner and even cheaper than regular gasoline. Cheaper being a very key point. I’m guessing 100% waste based biofuel will cost well over $10 a gallon if not $20 a gallon.
CsA
New Driver

Sorry F1, to little to late. If you want to keep ICEngines and manufacturers, you need to do more. You need to switch to hydrogen. With that you get no emissions, an ICE, and refueling stops. As for LM cars being better, all of the manufacturers have abandoned it. They need a reason to stay.
Billthecat707
Detailer

Hmmm, net zero carbon. Does that include all their private jets and transporters etc.