cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Ferrari's Purosangue pseudo-SUV dons production bodywork for the first time

We've already observed Ferrari's upcoming pseudo-SUV, the Purosangue (translation: "Pureblood") racing around the track in Maserati drag. The existence of such an, erm, aspirational Horse has been in the works for several years, but now, for the first time, we've caught a glimpse of a prototype wearing production-spec bodywork.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/ferraris-purosangue-pseudo-suv-dons-production-bodywork-for-the-f...
77 REPLIES 77
hyperv6
Collector

Sorry but  I just heard Enzo rolling over in his grave. 

PRScott
Instructor

Yup!
hyperv6
Collector

Sadly this is what happens when you let the corporate people use a division just to increase profits at the expense of the equity of the brand. 

Sergio started this as Fiat and the rest of FCA was going broke accept for Jeep and Dodge. Once Ferrari went public it sealed the deal that Ferrari had to increase the models in some way for more cash. 

We see the same thing at Porsche as they need more volume but not at the expense of deluging the 911 brand. So we get the VW based SUV models. 

Now I pray GM does not go forward with a Corvette branded SUV as there is no need or point. It would be like AMF making a Harley. 

Chevy has their own line of SUzv models and Corvette is just a model not a brand like Porsche. They don offer a 911 SUV models do they? 

Chevy is in a special place where they can offer several versions of a Corvette but there is no need to get away from it just being a sports car as Chevy supports the brand. 

Ark-med
Detailer

A V12? A V8? At introduction, maybe. Subsequent high-volume models might get a a certain already-mass-produced, Ferrari–developed (but not Ferrari–branded) twin turbo 2.9 litre 90° V6, possibly even hybridized. But I'm not a cynic.
motolargo
Intermediate Driver

Why not a Ferrari pickup truck if the bottom line is the prime directive?
Tim
Technician

Because rich people want SUVs. When rich people are ready to shell out $300K+ for a pickup truck, the luxury makers will come. But the bottom line is absolutely the directive. Niche automakers know that in order to survive, they have to attach more sales to their platforms. Porsche is the poster child for this.
Punk
Instructor

And then a Ferrari RV! Italian Winnebago!!! The mind boggles. And shudders.
Islander
Detailer

Yeah, I see it, with a couple of hounds in the back.
toddh9
Pit Crew

As a long time sports car fan, my wife recently selected a lightly used Maserati Levante SUV, with the Ferrari twin turbo V6. You certainly won’t hear me complaining…
CFK
New Driver

Somewhere Enzo is probably thinking......"not another BREADVAN"!!
Maestro1
Technician

Grace, it's absurd, and Enzo is twisting in his grave. What the hell is this? The Company should continue to do what it does best and leave the idiotic SUV market to others wanting
to do so. If one wants an SUV, buy a long roof. So you don't look like all the idiots driving white SUVs with their phones glued to their ears.
Fatcat321
Intermediate Driver

Is this an early April Fool's joke? How come it says Hagerty across the back of the cover? Good one, guys!
petersalt
Advanced Driver

That's a 'photo watermark' to show the ownership
of the photographs. Any re-use or re-publication of
the photos has to be with permission or license of
Hagerty; it's THEIR article with their photos.
Tim
Technician

I hear people saying, "Enzo must be rolling over in his grave," but really? When Enzo was alive, he had to face the prospect of selling his company. I'm sure that was a much bigger pill to swallow than merely introducing a vehicle he might not personally like.
Punk
Instructor

I'm not so sure. He might have preferred to sell than to bastardize it.
TonyT
Technician

When Ferrari was faced with either going under or being assisted by Fiat (pronounced "Italian Government") money, Enzo chose the latter with the understanding that the Maranello company would be granted self-governing authority. Ferrari once designed a rival to the Lamborghini LM002 but it never got past the drawing board, because Mr. Ferrari said "Nah, I ain't feeling it" or words to that effect. Now that his influence is but a memory, Ferrari feels the need to stay relevant with offerings like this, and because it will have a prancing horse (hey, wait a minute! Wasn't this the first Bronco?) on the fender, people with more money than brains will just have to have one.
Tim
Technician

It is all but guaranteed the first year's production will be spoken for before the first model rolls off the assembly line.
drhino
Technician

Just another step in the decline of a once proud marque (said decline starting with the unavailability of the gated manual).
erne75
Advanced Driver

I see that as a bigger decline than a souped up box on wheels...
Stixx
Detailer

WELL THEY KIND OF ALREADY DID ONE, IN THE HATCH BACK V 12 A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO. I NEVER LUSTED AFTER ONE BUT DID APPRECIATE THE HANDINESS OF IT.
Stixx
Detailer

THEY GOT THEY WORK CUT OUT FOR THEM TO TOP THE SENSUOUS LINES OF THE JAGUAR ENTRY INTO THE FIELD
ree
Intermediate Driver

Just another big horsepower, big money station wagon designed to promote some sort of a market share.
IMHO - all makes of similar vehicles are of no real use.
Gimmea6
Pit Crew

Il commendatore told us long ago that the only reason he produced road cars was to provide enough money to race in Formula 1. Bingo - CUV.
DaveA
Instructor

Lotus operated under the same principle for a few years.

ThomasC
Intermediate Driver

That's not the expression I thought of when I saw that 'FUV' acronym.

Of course, Ferrari's stepped away from sports cars and super cars before. The 456 sedan and wagon, the FF and the GTC4Lusso come to mind. Is this basically an embiggened GTC4Lusso? It does look like that's what's under that mattress pad, at least to me.

FUV = Farggin Ugly/Useless vehicle?

Too soon?
Punk
Instructor

If one can afford a Ferrari, then they can afford to put a Ford Escape in the garage next to it when the utility is needed. Which likely is not very often.
DaveA
Instructor

I’m willing to bet a good percentage of Ferrari owners would rather not have a Ford in their possession. Besides, companies love brand loyalty. If you have a Ferrari sports car, why not the SUV as well?

Punk
Instructor

You are probably right about Ferrari owners. I missed that point. I have an E-Type and an Escape. I could buy a Jag SUV instead of the Escape, but it seemed like more money when the Ford was better 'utility'. I guess that's another reason I don't have a Ferrari! Other than the obvious one.

FFlip
Pit Crew

Even if it was "Ferrari Red" I wouldn't buy one.
Graz
New Driver

Ferrari is becoming a clone of the other Brands. You can slap any Brand name on one of their cars and you wouldn't know the difference any more. This SUV "idea" just sealed their fate. And when they go completely electric you can stick a fork in them. Sorry Enzo 😞
DaveA
Instructor

I’m sure people thought the first automatic transmission Ferrari would seal their fate, yet here we are. Companies have to adapt to changing markets. 

pboova
New Driver

I would stick with a long roof platform. I never fully understood how or why a manufacturer attempts a luxury, performance, utility automobile. Seems like a lot to expect for one car.
Iso_Grifo
Instructor

They have Ferrari amusement parks in the Middle East. Why not an SUV? They lost all credibility long ago. For me it came back when they started fleecing super rich fools and selling them cars they could never take possession of and had to use on Ferrari's track. But at least that was funny. This isn't.
F360Spider
Detailer

One word: Silly.
MATTMERICA
Technician

So does ferrari "need the money" that catering to the SUV crowd will potentially bring? Does ferrari have a list of 25,000 current owners that constantly email them asking for an SUV? Does ferrari know that if they build an SUV, they will pick up 50,000 new ferrari owners now that they have something you can theoretically put a couple of baby seats in and you don't have to worry about scraping the front of the rig off the curb/driveway? Does ferrari have a long list of potential buyers who are too fat and too old and too rich to stuff themselves into a macan, so they need this vehicle? Or perhaps ferrari knows that as the ICE age is coming to an end that this will be one of many products they never thought they would build, so they have to get busy living or get busy dying? Who knows. Whatever the answer or combination of answers, it will have zero impact on me, because at the end of the day a ferrari suv is a ferrari in name only, no matter the performance level.
Bird52
Pit Crew

Does it also come with a baby on board sticker?
JAG
Detailer

Yea sign me up for the Ferrari work truck! Must be built off the same platform with the V6 base motor. Scarry the last wokeness has been broken.
BritCars_Mike
Pit Crew

Bad idea.
Ferrari didn't jump on the minivan craze of the '80s, and to their benefit even though everyone else was.
SUVs are a similar craze, and all the luxury brands want a piece. Ferrari is lowering themselves by dipping their toe in this "me too" fad.
Besides, I can't even afford a used Kia Sportage. A Ferrari SUV is as attainable as a ticket on Mr. Bezos's phallic space ship.
KurtKroner
New Driver

It's a fact that people like SUVs because our primitive monkey brain feels safer when we are up higher. Other than that, these abominations serve no beneficial purpose unless you need a rugged trail capability. So stick with estate cars, minivans, or regular automobiles.
DaveA
Instructor

SUV’s are a good alternative for people who don’t like estate cars, minivans, or regular automobiles. Having options is nice.

Bertone780
Detailer

Introducing the new Zamborarri - the all new V12 Mk Z can drift around the ice and refinish it in record time. Every rink will want one.
Mike53
Pit Crew

Bertone780,
As a former Zamboni driver for a number of years, I would have loved to hear the snarl of a V12 over the mighty Wisconsin V4 that we had. Spinning donuts on patch and freestyle ice would have been a blast, to say the least. Even Zamboni, after many different brands of engines (VW, Mitsu, etc.) has now gone EV.
Remember, automobile manufacturers are now run by the accountants and marketing departments, not the engineers. I remember an SL65 owner being interviewed about what he thought made his car special. His reply, "It's those red things inside the wheels". (Hint: Red calipers). Marketing wins again !!
Alfanorth
Intermediate Driver

It's like trying to have a proper Italian meal at Olive Garden.
okfoz
Advanced Driver

So Often auto manufacturers make cars to get customers into showrooms, then sell them another vehicle. In the 80's Buick's Grand National was a perfect example of this, granted they sold a lot of GNs, but it drove customers to the showroom, and many times they walked away with something more practical.
This is somewhat the same thing, people will come into the showroom to look at a performance vehicle, IE 812, and then realize that it will be better to get something more "practical" and go with the FUV.
It may seem silly to someone like me who is a Ferrari Purist, I believe Ferrari's should have 2 doors, 2 seats, and be fast. No more, no less, but that market is small. But when you have bean counters looking at the money coming in and going out, those things which are not profitable must go away. Sadly Ferrari apparently lost €699 in 2019, so it needs something to stay solvent.
DaveA
Instructor

Exactly. Adapt or fail. Ferrari is choosing to adapt. As a profit seeking entity this should be a surprise to no one.

DanB013
New Driver

Just another look-alike box on wheels to join the pack.
pgordon
New Driver

Personally, I was against the idea of high-performance brands creating SUVs. Simply did not understand the mixing of worlds and the tarnishing of legacy for a quick dollar. Yes, speaking of you Porsche. They hit us with the one-two punch of pulling air cooled 911s and a SUV, blasphemy! Mind you, I drove a 78 Scout in high school, so I get the SUV appeal.

It was not until Lamborghini stepped in and offered their fire breathing monster that made me start to warm up to the idea. However, Lambo got a pass in my mind. They already had somewhat of a history with the “Rambo Lambo” LM002 and their Audi family.

Fast forward to 2019. I drop off my Alfa Romeo 4C for its carbon tub service at the dealership. Sitting on the lot is a 2018 Stelvio QV in rossa competizione over rossa. For fun, chatted with my salesperson and we grab the FOB. Now any new smelling red Italian is going to get into your head and heart. However, this “thing” was stunning! I could not get my head around it. Quicker than my 4C, sticks to the road like glue, and 8 speed that shifts faster than a Piranha bite! Not mentioning it sounds great and I am not fearing for my life looking at my reflection in passing rocker panels! The high-performance SUV obsession hit me between the eyes! As the week passed while my 4C was in service, I could not get the Quad out of my head. Returned to pick up the 4C, but I drove home in the Quad. Yes, I purchased it and never looked back! It has been an amazing vehicle. Anyone that has a problem with these SSUVs, I am willing to bet never have driven one.

It’s a must for Ferrari. As much as we want to imagine the spirit of Enzo blessing each car as it leaves the magical factory in a fairy tale village, just is not true. Ferrari now has stockholders, deadlines, and budgets… BUDGETS?! Yes, they too have grown up responsibilities. So, if they must create a few SSUVs (which will still be amazing by the way) to allow for F1 racing, cars like the Daytona sp3, and the accounting department to remain happy, I am all for it! Also, let’s all remember Enzo himself faced a very similar issue. What happened? We were blessed with some of the most amazing road cars we love today. So, I feel Enzo would look at this SSUV and say “Certo".
DaveA
Instructor

There are times when, in order to understand something, you have to experience it.