cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Fast & Furious Supra driven by Paul Walker sells for $550,000, a new record | Hagerty Media

Love the movie or hate it, The Fast and the Furious has earned it's place in culturally important car films. For most Gen-X and early Millennial car enthusiasts, the original film from the Fast and Furious franchise is a nostalgia trip like no other.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/fast-furious-supra-driven-by-paul-walker-sells-for-550000-a-n...
13 REPLIES 13
Gary_Bechtold
Instructor

A fool and his money are soon parted. As a Supra owner I have always hated this ugly car. If somebody would like to give me $550k for my clean looking and arguably better taken care of car, give me a call. Also it was never trashed in an arguably "dumb" movie.
Greg_I
Advanced Driver

@Gary_Bechtold everyone is certainly entitled to their views on this car and on the movie, but I'd also like to point out that most car movies are arguably "dumb." Took me 4 watches to finally understand the plot to "Bullitt" which is refreshing compared to "Two Lane Blacktop" or "Vanishing Point" which have none. All three of those are still regarded as "great" car movies.

drhino
Instructor

Greg, I have never seen any of the F&F films (and never will). The trailers are plenty for me. I don’t like fake stuff; and cars that defy all laws of physics will never be anything but completely irritating to me (along with the fact that they are all hideously modified). You are correct about most “car” movies being bad, as movies. The ones you mentioned are only watchable due to the (actual) driving footage— which is fantastic! (Some bad sound effects notwithstanding)
Greg_I
Advanced Driver

@drhino To me the only watchable or remotely believable F&F films are the first and third. They quickly turned into heist films because "car" films don't sell, action films do. It just goes to show that in general car centered films are not gonna be blockbusters. When car people start to approach "car" films understanding that those films were not made for them, but for the blissfully unaware general audience, then many of these films are far more enjoyable. Faults aside, the original F&F film is still one of my favorite films featuring cars.

Gary_Bechtold
Instructor

I won't say I didn't enjoy the F&F movie after I turned my brain off because I had to.  So many car things they got wrong that I had to stop criticizing it or I would not enjoy the movie.  However it's a horribly ugly car due to the body kit and other modifications.  The park bench wing and the terrible graphics make me want to hurl in a color similar to the car's color. 

Maestro1
Instructor

Absurd.
uweschmidt
Detailer

Movies are not made to be factually or historicly accurate they are made to entertain and just like magazines they do not need to be liked by everyone and is a personal choice to watch or read them I watched the fast and the Furious and while I watched I ( for a little while) removed myself from the real world just like I try to do in every Film I enjoyed FF and my Heart still aches for Paul Walker and his Friend RIP Paul
drhino
Instructor

F&F goes beyond factual and historical inaccuracy. It suspends the laws of physics. I have no problem with a fictional film; but I don’t find anything entertaining about something that completely ignores reality. The old martial arts movies that dismiss gravity come to mind. (Never understood the popularity of musicals, either.)
MATTMERICA
Instructor

So, first that I am seeing this sale price. Meh. What would be nice if the car had some info on it - so it was a stunt car, great - what did "they" do to it? Suspension upgrades? Is it plumping out 872 hp? Is anything under the hood original?
Or is it stock? Frankly, given the cult status of this car - regardless of which deceased B-list actor (RIP, btw) drove it in which (arguably) crappy film, the car is probably worth $200k on its own given the moon-shot prices people flush with covid money (not money they saved, money they got from the gubment when they didn't even need it) will pay for anything is not surprising at all.
Greg_I
Advanced Driver

@MATTMERICA if you go to the hyperlink in the article for a preview piece we did, we included a video that Craig Lieberman, the technical advisor for the film and the builder of the Hero 1 car did explaining the car's history in fine detail as well as what was done to it.

MATTMERICA
Instructor

Interesting - the browser that I read the article on didn't have the link.  Thank you!

SJ
Advanced Driver

Not any crazier than some other things sold there(and other auctions). Just wish I had that kind of money not to buy it.
DJB2
New Driver

I am thankful for every movie, and for any car that keeps the car culture alive. We all have different tastes, and maturity gives us the ability to keep our negative opinions to ourselves, where they belong. Orange is known as a healing and therapeutic color, which is what our favorite car is to most of us. You can't feel too much better than when you're behind the wheel of a Hugger Orange '69 Chevelle SS396 (or the F&F Supra)!
Nice buy on the Supra! We all wish we had the money to buy our dream car. I'm glad you got yours.