cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Even self-learning EFI sometimes needs an expert tutor | Hagerty Media

This shouldn't be a case of teaching an old dog new tricks. I mean, these modern self-learning EFI systems are easy to install and tune, not to mention this particular dog's been in the throttle body fuel injection game since Ford's EEC-III computer met the small-block V-8 circa 1980.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/efi-expert-tuning-fitech-1972-continental-mark-iv...
24 REPLIES 24
MickHannickle
Intermediate Driver

Uh, you mean "hat trick".
audiocage
Detailer

Hat Truck = Millinery Mobile
Sajeev
Community Manager

Well that's embarrassing, and it's been fixed. Thanks @audiocage & @MickHannickle

audiocage
Detailer

Ah, autocorrect. What can ya do?
Sajeev
Community Manager

Spend less time working on Lincoln Continentals, I guess! 

drjim
Detailer

Don't do that, Sajeev! We like reading about your automotive adventures.
Nice looking MKIV. I don't recall you writing much about it.

- Jim
Sajeev
Community Manager

I've written about it infrequently in the last decade or so, but I spent a lot of time doing a Vellum Venom on it: https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/vellum-venom/venom-vellum-1972-continental-mark-iv/ 

drjim
Detailer

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Land_Ark
Intermediate Driver

Those are impressive numbers! That car would now shock anything on the road at the time it was built. 390 HP seems like a really good amount for that car. Enough to get it going but not too much where it becomes difficult to drive and dangerous to get on when desired.

I've thought about getting EFI as trying to start my car with people around usually ends in embarrassment. It used to only be cold starts that we take a few tries and pumping, but since I got it back on the road last year hot starts are also a struggle.
Sajeev
Community Manager

I can say with certainty that you won't regret swapping over to EFI, especially if you drive your classic on a regular basis. 

Swamibob
Instructor

What so=rt of car do you have Land Lark? Give us the info. 🙂
Land_Ark
Intermediate Driver

I'll do one better, I'll link to an old Piston Slap Sajeev answered for me a few years ago:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/08/piston-slap-land-arks-radial-tire-bias/
Sajeev
Community Manager

Nice! Too bad there's a Lexus video embedded on every single article on TTAC now. 

Land_Ark
Intermediate Driver

I'm a Lexus fanboy and I am excited for the IS500. But I don't need to see it every time I read an article about every car.

Fortunately it's muted by default and doesn't pop up a little video window when you scroll past it. But... that's enough now.

Sajeev
Community Manager

I am with you on that (as I switched my parents to Lexus products and we are all happier because of it -- Lincolns ain't what they used to be) and I am very much looking forward to the IS500. If there's one video to punish your readers with on every article, that's the one. 

MoparMan
Advanced Driver

I have a friend that is trying to resolve similar issues with a Sniper EFI system installed on a '66 Sport Fury! I've somewhat jokingly told him to file all the information for future reference, as he will be the "Expert" assisting me when I install the EFI system on my Charger, LOL!! 🙂
Sajeev
Community Manager

No doubt!  Make him the expert and buy him dinner when you are ready to go EFI. 

Swamibob
Instructor

Hello MoparMan;

I had a problem with a Sniper system when I tried to change to a progressive linkage and retune: Turned out my TBI was wired a bit goofy, because when in "progressive mode" it ran one of the front barrels (generally thought to be the 'Primary' side) and one of the rear barrels (generally thought to be the 'Secondary' side). It wasn't easy to do a re-wire job, so I had to go back to all four barrels working all the time and extend the throttle linkage to make it easier to drive.
Might be somethgin to ask your buddy about?
RGT818
Pit Crew

So were these adjustments to the idle not able to be done by the controller provided by fitech
Sajeev
Community Manager

To be honest I have no idea, I dug into the controller a little bit and was not interested in adjusting a A/F ratio as I had no idea if it was changing at idle, or full throttle, etc. It was easier to just send the car over to a pro and get a dyno number, because the car had a big problem that I was clearly missing (i.e. the vacuum advance was my main problem) 

You can see some of the parameters here, sure would be nice if FiTech had more information instead of us needing to crowdsource it: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A80SLaM1bnw 

RGT818
Pit Crew

Thanks. Mine has been on and running ok for past two years but I do still get out of car smelling like in spent time in refinery horrible mileage too.
Sajeev
Community Manager

Get a pro to tune it, I wish I coulda done more initially because I might have been able to fix the problem, but I let a shop do the EFI conversion (no way I am gonna try to get an EFI pump into a Mark IV tank). 

Anyway yes, get a pro with laptop software to tweak it. 

Rob1
Instructor

HMMM @Sajeev  you have give me more to think about on the upcoming conversion to my Corvette,first find a shop that has some experience which could be tough in the north but I feel it is prudent. I have the mechanical skill set to install tank/pump/lines/TB/and all necessary wiring what Iam lacking is the skills on a laptop.That being said saaaweet ride that hot rod Lincoln 👍👍.R

Sajeev
Community Manager

Rob, if you have a laptop and can learn to upload someone else's tune (or get a tech whiz locally to help) you can do all the "hard" work and pay someone to email you a tune that will work with your engine specs.  Email tunes are a great option.