cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Even on a sim, driving Ontario's latest race circuit reveals its thoughtful design | Hagerty Media

Modern racing circuit design uses plenty of tech, from digitally-precise site surveys to the final CAD layout, and drivers like us are better for it. Before a tire ever touches the tarmac, circuits are composed by designers and engineers seeking a careful balance between modern safety requirements and the types of challenges that drivers demand.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/the-elsinore-files/even-on-a-sim-driving-ontarios-latest-race-...
10 REPLIES 10
NorthernDon
Intermediate Driver

I just live down the road from this smorgasbord. Let's revisit this once the current preoccupation with grossly over inflated real estate values ends, having three levels of government chipping in other people's money dries up and bankers tighten the noose once interest rates rise to reflect market conditions. This isn't being built on a tropical island with multi millionaires jetting in daily for cocktails. Rather it's surrounded by three seasons that are unlike those found near the equator and the nice summer season is short lived and unpredictable at that. I think if I was a potential investor it wouldn't take long to make a one eighty.
351c
New Driver

I have not heard about this new track and I live in Ontario. Just a thought, it would have been nice if the location was disclosed or is it a secret.
Kevin2m4
New Driver

Oro station is just north of Barrie
mcsilver
Pit Crew

I'm always pleased to see race track projects underway. The bitter truth is in today's environment, the neighbours of the track will not be happy and make the operation of the track a living h@#*. It is not just the noise, but the perception that rich people and their fast toys should go somewhere / anywhere else. Look no further than the history of Vancouver's Westwood, or Duncan B.C's $60million dollar VIMC.
The UK has many tracks, perhaps an update on how this is NIMBYism is playing out there? Calabogie?
NorthernDon
Intermediate Driver

Living just down the road from this build, I can safely say the locals are not up in arms about it and there's no NIMBY sentiment which is certainly unusual. It's being built on industrial/commercial zoned lands and in a designated development area so it's game on. When the 500 full time jobs on site are realized, with my tax dollars from three different levels helping out, I'll be the very first one doing cartwheels down the track! We had a General Tire plant in nearby Barrie at one time and it was the largest employer at the time with those large numbers and they don't come this way very often. Remember folks, not all that glitters is golden and the shine wears off quickly after the taxpayers have been fleeced for all they have. Just sayin'.... I've lived long enough to have seen these side shows before and once the stink clears, the bad taste remains.
mcsilver
Pit Crew

The $60 million dollar Duncan track also claimed the neighbours were all onside before construction began. Not so much now, embroiled in court challenges and all.  (And it is a roller coaster for elevation change, to reply to those other posts). I think at its peak it was perhaps 15 FTEs of employment.... now less than 10 FTEs

OregonMotorCo
Pit Crew

No elevation change means, for me, that it's a lesser circuit.
uweschmidt
Advanced Driver

A masterplan Racetrack without elevation Change ? engineered for Safety? The safest way would be not to put any Corners into the Track!! Circuit de Monaco is the most famous Formula 1 Track designed for free By History and the safety engineering as far as possible on a Racetrack is installed between the ears of the drivers and is exercised by each driver as much as possible While trying to win the Race

rainracer
New Driver

Looks like a bore to drive and for spectators, if there will be any.  No elevation change is absolutely unforgivable.  Another thing that should be unforgivable, but will not be for "Look at me I am a racer!" types is the absence of a Lime Rock Uphill turn or a very high speed sweeper, such as the old turn 5 at Watkins Glen.  If you cannot kill yourself or come close, if you really screw up your driving, there is not much challenge ( I used to race, so don't come back to me with the "safety is everything" line) and the racing spectating is degraded, as spectators will likely be kept too far from the track because of excessive runoff area.  

uweschmidt
Advanced Driver

Lime Rock !!!!!! oh How I would have Loved to have been there When Roger Ward in 1959 with a well worn Midget Beat the Elite Rest in Peace Roger