cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“Ernest” did a lot, and he also drove a twin-turbo turbo DeLorean

“Know what I mean, Vern?” If you’re of a certain age, you did know what Ernest P. Worrell meant. Even if your name wasn’t Vern. A staple of 1980s entertainment, Ernest bumbled across the movie screen and into our hearts, going to camp (1987), jail (1990), saving Christmas (1988), and getting scared stupid (1991). Jim Varney, who played Ernest, was a box office hit. So what did one of the biggest movie stars of the ’80s drive? That’s right, a DeLorean DMC-12. A rather special one, at that.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/entertainment/ernest-did-a-lot-and-he-also-drove-a-twin-turbo-turbo-de...

Replies (18)

Replies (18)

Saw an interview with Jim Varney asking him if he gets called Ernest or "Hey Vern" everywhere he goes.  He said "Everywhere but the bank.  There they call me, "Mr. Varney!"  Gotta love that!

New Driver

Very nice and sweet remembrance.

New Driver

Thanks for sharing this. Here's looking at you, Vern.

Intermediate Driver

Love me some Brendan McAleer writing... great tribute to a really good man, Brendan.  And if anyone wants to LOL, look up Brendan's Hyundai Pony story... pure gold!

Pit Crew

Few people are aware of his formal theater training. I recall hearing him recite a passage from Shakespeare, proper inflection, proper English accent and all. A man of many talents.

New Driver

What should also have been mentioned was Jim would get into his "Ernest" costume and go to visit children in hospitals. He rally cared about the kids and took the time to help them feel better.

I had never been a big fan of the movies but the time he took for children makes him a hero in my book.

(edit fixed mis-spellings & missing punctuation, some of it at least)

Passenger

that was a cool story, R.I.P. Ernest. 

Passenger

Great tribute to a humble man and by all accounts a genuine nice guy. Cheers.

Navigator

Met and drank with "EPW" while awaiting a connecting flight at Hartsfield Airport  in Atlanta, back in '88.  Asked him, "what brings you here?"  His response, " **bleep** airplane, whad'ya think!"

Passenger

Ernest was lovable and always made you smile.  A great little story.  I loved it.

New Driver

Good article, but unfortunately it’s apparent that several myths of the DeLorean live on.

The car is not slow. It is average compared to other cars from 1981. It had better 0-60 times than a Datsun 280ZX, Mazda RX7, Porsche 924 Turbo, BMW 320i, Mercedes 380SL, and the Ford Mustang GT (it also put out more horsepower than the GT, 320i, and RX7). It’s about 1/2 second slower than the BMW 633 CSI and the Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, and about 1.5 seconds slower than a Ferrari 308.

It is not heavy. Since when is 2,700-ish pounds considered heavy for a car? A 1981 Ferrari 308 GTSi outweighs the DeLorean by almost 700 pounds, and the Mercedes 380 SL outweighs it by almost 900 pounds. The DeLorean has a fiberglass body clad in a very thin layer of stainless steel.

I think the myths stem from the fact that the DeLorean is heavier and slower than what was originally planned.....but that doesn’t make it heavy or slow. The company had to make concessions in order to start production and turn a profit. The twin turbo would have been their next move, and according to testing done on Long Island in late 1981, it would have blown the doors off the competition.

As for reliability......what can I say? It’s got Lucas electronics. The good news is that all of the problems are well documented and easily fixed. Let’s not forget that the world only ever got the DeLorean 1.0. The company was working to right the wrongs but they simply ran out of time and money. We never got the more polished version that was planned.

Pit Crew

Man, my family watched all of his movies when I was a kid. Good memories. "Ernest Goes to Camp" and "Ernest Scared Stupid" were two favorites. We quoted lines from those movies all the time.

Hagerty Employee

He was a Funny guy , know what I mean vern?

and who writes these articles ?

what the heck is a Toyota 86???

is that a car ?

certainaly not one sold with that name in the states.

Does Hagerty Not know that this article is mainly for American viewers ?

New Driver

If you are strong enough to keep from falling out of your chair, search for a Tyson Toyota TV commercial titled "Musk Oil and Long Pants".   It's got to be one of his best.  Bonus, it features a 1984 Supra. 

Passenger

Those lovely pictures look a long way from the South (I'm guessing maybe Howe Sound, British Columbia?). Anyone know?

Passenger

What the heck is a Toyota 86?

New Driver

My Boss in Minneapolis had a twin Turbo DeLorean. It was fast (for it's day). I also lived in Peoria Ill and at the local Chevy/DeLorean dealership, the repair shop was full of DeLoreans waiting to be repaired.

Passenger

🎶 There once was a man named Worrelllllllllll! Ernest P. Worrel! 🎶

Hagerty Employee