cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ella Fitzgerald’s 1959 Mercedes-Benz 300D Cabriolet is as smooth as her voice

Ella Fitzgerald was one in a million. In the automotive world, her 1959 Mercedes-Benz 300D Cabriolet is almost as rare: one of 65.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/ella-fitzgeralds-1959-mercedes-benz-300d-cabriolet-...

Replies (6)

Replies (6)

My G_D, what an absolutely astonishingly gorgeous car! 

What I'll never understand is why so many carmakers chose to build certain models in such limited quantities. 

It can't be simply for the cachet and rarity; every corporation knows that profit rules. Just a few hundred or thousand more could have brought in a fortune. 

There's probably a lot of 20/20 hindsight and Monday quarter-backing that went with such decisions. I truly hope so. 

Intermediate Driver

It's a 300d (the successor of the 300c), not a 300D, which, in MB parlance suggests Diesel

Passenger

In 1963, Ford offered blue with a red interior with the caveat “available but not recommended”. 
As much as I admire Ella’s singing, I can’t help but compare this car to a, say, Chrysler 300 convertible of the same vintage. As a kid, when these were new, I always thought they looked laughably old fashioned and boxy.

Pit Crew

Beautiful car! The color is "blaugrau" ( the first "u" is missing above)

One of the few cars is now equipped with a modern 3 ltr. engine, ABS etc. and in Europe

Passenger

What a time capsule!

Intermediate Driver

Should be designated as a 300d (lower case), being the fourth iteration of Mercedes' range topping model in this period. The use of a capital "D" would signify diesel power, which is not the case for this car.  

Intermediate Driver