cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Edelbrock to shutter Los Angeles County HQ after 83 years | Hagerty Media

Edelbrock, manufacturer of some of the most popular performance aftermarket intake manifolds and cylinder heads for our favorite V-8 engines, is packing up its Torrance, California, headquarters over the next two months. The facility, Edelbrock's home since 1999, has 270 employees, most of whom will be laid off.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/edelbrock-to-shutter-los-angeles-county-hq-after-83-years/
162 REPLIES 162
Gary_Bechtold
Technician

Who can blame Edelbrock from leaving California? The taxes and all the other regulations they have to deal with are mind blowing. When will California (and other states like it, like my home state Illinois) learn that what they are doing is hurting business and it's population. That would of course assume they care, which they seemingly don't.
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

Edelbrock isn't leaving California, they still have two foundries about 100 miles inland from their Torrance facility.
spoom
Technician

Semantics. When the headquarters, design and most production workers no longer work in California, they have for the most part left California. It's great for The Foundry workers that The Foundry continues to stay in its current location, but that could change at the snap of a finger. I'm not going to dog pile on California, but I don't think there was anything non factual in what was described regarding leaving the state and business.
Mike_E_V
Detailer

The dogpile part is OK but unless CA regulators & legislators wake up, there will be little left to regulate in CA.
Grumpyoldcoot
Pit Crew

No problem "dog-piling" on California. I was born and raised there, but moved in early 2019 to another state to escape the insanity created by Newsom and gang.

As for Edelbrock, they have five other production facilities throughout the country. The foundry produces only rough castings, while final finishing is completed elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if the Foundry follows suit and moves to another state. In any case, Edelbrock IMO manufactures quality parts, as per my experience with the company for over 60 years. I wish them the best.
HowardSue
Intermediate Driver

We moved out of California in 2017
Not looking back
The business in California is over taxing and over regulations
RetroRock
Intermediate Driver

I don't suspect those Cali. foundries will last the next 5 years due to continuing changes in the manufacturing "climate" out there.
I have customers in the metals industry that have moved East for that reason too.
My bet is on SE Tenn. or Northern Alabama for the foundries.
PhilSchw
Pit Crew

The only thing left were the foundries, & they have been sold, so I assume they are there on a lease. For sure with time those will dry up as well. My problem with their strategic life saving move was location. Olive Branch, Mississippi? Come one folks. My eyes would have widen in thoughts of some type of a future if it were Indianapolis, IN or even Atlanta, GA. I suppose they were chasing after an area of low income workers, so they could slash wages. This move will definitely do that, as most of those doing the move with the company will have a rude awakening & just have to get used to living in a trailer house & running from tornadoes.
Rocketjudge
Pit Crew

You have no clue my friend. Mississippi is extremely business friendly and has a competent work force. What a stereotyped uninformed reaction
.When they built the Saturn plant in Iuka Mississippi years ago, the California engineers moved there and loved it. So much so that many still live there despite the plant shuttering.
Welcome to Mississippi Edelbrock, smart move after doing your homework. Join Toyoto just down the road a few miles and many other enlightened business CEO's.
red-on-red
Intermediate Driver

Glad to hear that Edelbrock HQ is staying in the USA.
That is pretty funny, using the Saturn car plant as an example of "business friendly" environment.
Rocketjudge
Pit Crew

Not Saturn car plant my friend. Saturn rocket engines! These were rocket scientist, not car assembly line workers!

The Saturn rocket engines (new generation) are always test fired in Mississippi. The latest was only a few weeks ago - testing to return back to space and to Mars.

spoom
Technician

That's kind of funny! Hope you typed it real slow because some here can't read fast.😂

DT
Advanced Driver

Foot In Mouth ?? 🙂
Sa3
New Driver

That’s pretty funny you don’t know a car from a rocket engine.
CarScott
New Driver

Oliva Branch is a suburb of Memphis, just 10 miles from the current Performance Group office in Memphis. It's not a huge move in that local area. And Olive Branch is 25 minutes from the Memphis airport and 30 minutes from Beale St. There's no fewer trailer houses and tornados in Olive Branch than in Memphis The "loss of the Memphis factory" is more of a loss to the City of Memphis because the workers are just driving 10 minutes down the road.
For California workers any transfer to the Memphis area (Olive Branch included) would be a huge adjustment anyway.
spoom
Technician

Judging from many episodes of C*O*P*S, lots of peeps living trailers in CA, when earthquakes, wildfires and/or meth doesn't keep them from getting to work.

HowardSue
Intermediate Driver

It’s near NASCAR country
Don’t be an Elitist about how folks live in trailers
That’s an uncalled for remark
RetroRock
Intermediate Driver

Putting a plant in a metro area, whether it be Indy, Atlanta, or Memphis, is a fools game these days. Poor work ethic of workers and pay-offs to city hall politicians is the norm.
I've worked with major MRO suppliers and they've been moving manufacturing father out from the cities where they can hire farm boys & gals that will be there on a daily basis and put in an honest days work.
Mike_E_V
Detailer

Think outside the box. The culture in rural areas tends to lean towards self-sufficiency and pride in workmanship. Locations are picked for more than tax advantages and wage compensation. The availability of people willing to produce quality merchandise is as important. No one wants shoddy pieces on their performance machines.
Wrondog2
New Driver

Brandan hate to break this to you....Fed Ex being in Memphis allows them to keep their online sales and next day delivery window open past 7 o'clock at night and still guarantee next day delivery, would noty surprise me if Fed Ex helped them relocate with warehouse and logistics support, second Alcoa has a huge smelting plant/rolling mill in North Alabama, pretty sure Alabama is just a little more accommodating then California. (roll the sarcasm)
Really smart move on there part.
Just broadly California State Income Tax rate 12%.....Mississippi.....I think 3%
Not much of a decision if you ask me.
spoom
Technician

So much for stereotypes. As automaker jobs fled south (ironic, huh?) MOST of the nation learned that with the same kind of capital and training spent on peeps around Detroit, quality vehicles have poured out of the entire south. Most of them were from foreign mfrs. who did the research and built the factories. Shame on those who perpetuate the belief that the south is Dogpatch, USA. 

DT
Advanced Driver

So tell us Phil. How will their move to Olive Branch, Where there are only Trailer Houses and Tornadoes affect you in any way at all ???
czmx
Pit Crew

Olive Branch, MS is for all practical purposes, a suburb of Memphis (just twenty minutes south, and you won't even notice that you left Memphis, and entered Olive Branch). Comp Cams is basically just changing neighborhoods.
MATTMERICA
Technician

Yes, the exodus continues and your are spot-on. I am happy that Edelbrock will be stronger than before, but the minute I heard the dipsh!ts in CA government spewing on about not allowing ICE vehicles to be sold in their state in the near future I would have packed my bags and forwarded the phones. Hopefully many of the workers can relocate? Probably not likely, but fingers crossed.
spoom
Technician

Agreed, elections DO have consequences. I'd 80% retired when I turned 62 a few years back, but the day after the Presidential election I shut my little company down. I no longer desire to pay Federal taxes in any real sense anymore.

PhilSchw
Pit Crew

I can not blame Edelbrock for leaving CA. Like someone already has posted after the move Edelbrock will no longer have a name in CA. The only thing left were the foundries, & they have been sold, so I assume they are there on a lease. For sure with time those will dry up as well. My problem with their strategic life saving move was location. Olive Branch, Mississippi? Come one folks. My eyes would have widen in thoughts of some type of a future if it were Indianapolis, IN or even Atlanta, GA. I suppose they were chasing after an area of low income workers, so they could slash wages. This move will definitely do that, as most of those doing the move with the company will have a rude awakening & just have to get used to living in a trailer house & running from tornadoes.
CarScott
New Driver

Olive Branch is a suburb of Memphis, only 10 minutes from the current Comp Performance Group office. They're literally moving down the street but it does happen to cross the state line into Mississippi, who I'm sure gave them some nice incentives to make the short move.
ermadear55
New Driver

Mississippi is a beautiful and business friendly place. This is a wonderful thing for our hobby.
Farm966
Pit Crew

Well said.
Punk
Detailer

This is what happens when there are mergers. Duplication is eliminated. Therefore, most of the operation is being combined with the Comp operation which is in Miss. I don't think it has much to do with taxes or regulation in CA. Its just eliminating duplication. Sort of like when Moss took over, well, almost everything in British car parts last year. Victoria british got shut down. They were in, I think, Kansas? No one said it was because of the oppression of that state's taxes. ITs what happens when companies get together.
johnnycake
New Driver

Doesn't really matter. Within a decade they'll be going the way of the blacksmith anyway. There just isn't a future in internal combustion anymore and we can't turn back that clock.

DWjr
Pit Crew

Any idea what happened to Vic's museum cars? I toured with a photog a decade or so ago, interviewed then-director (ex-HRM staffer) Ralph Guldahl Jr. about the impressive collection. A personal favorite was the first Camaro in California (shipped directly from Detroit to Petersen Publishing's Sunset Strip HQ): the '67 Camaro HRM-MT test car that Edelbrock engineer Jim McFarland would buy from Chevrolet following a year of HRM improvements and serious drag racing. It became Edelbrock's testbed for more than a decade, helping develop many of the aftermarket's first emissions-legal products. McFarland eventually caved and sold the car to Vic, who restored it and personally drove it on HRM's Power Tour. Other than possibly the Project-X '57, I can recall no other project vehicle getting as much magazine ink. I am particularly curious about whether Vic's daughters sold this one, and, if so, where it went. Nice scoop here, Kid!
GTXJeff
New Driver

I was told by an Edelbrock employee that when Vic passed away the family was told to remove all the cars from the display area. That area was turned into office space. The museum used to open during the yearly Edelbrock car show which was cancelled after he died too. He had a 69 1/2 A-12 Super Bee that was really nice. Saw pictures where he used it to tow the Camaro around on a trailer. I too wonder what happened to those cars and motorcycles.
MATTMERICA
Technician

Correct - I saw the same info
PhilSchw
Pit Crew

What a shame. I'm sure Vic is rolling over in his grave.
Flashman
Technician

By all means, let's move all our manufacturing jobs to compliant "right-to-work" states as we chase the lowest wages, in our unrelenting race to the bottom.
RokemRonnie
Advanced Driver

Numerous businesses are relocating operations from California because the state doesn't have a hospitable business climate these days, but rather than ask what California is doing wrong, you'd rather attack fictional boogeymen trying to exploit workers. According to U-Haul, a lot more regular folks are moving out of California too.
Qw
Intermediate Driver

,right to work states ,no benefits,no union and unlivable wages !
MajorTomB
Intermediate Driver

Right, because the Unions take care of the workers? Tell that to the pipe fitters working on the Keystone XL, whose union backed DJB.
HowardSue
Intermediate Driver

Thank You Sir
MarveH
Intermediate Driver

So you're saying every worker in a right to work state is dumb and doesn't know what's best for them?
spoom
Technician

If that's what their Union tells them to say, yes. (and I worked in a union shop for 20 years) Every election the PEL would say to vote a straight Democrat ticket, even after NAFTA, Even after Obamacare and everything in between. My town has a empty field and condos where there were once an auto plant complete with small foundry and engine plant and later just an engine plant. The folks that helped kill it (company and union) don't seem to care that many of their kids work in lower paying jobs like Amazon, THEY got theirs. 

RetroRock
Intermediate Driver

Not really...
A while back I was installing electronic manufacturing equipment at 2 auto industry plants on the West Coast, one union and a smaller non-union near each other. The guys at the non-union shop had worked at the union plant 1st and did make a little more per hour, but took the non-union position 'cause it was steady work without layoffs. Seems the union plant would lay off and then bring back workers in proportion to their production levels.
That's tough on a young guy or gal trying to raise a family...
OldCarMan
Instructor

NOT TRUE!
No featherbedding, no stewards that do nothing, no forced union dues, no seniority BS. Every person has the same opportunity. What's not to like?
Michigan still has good wages...
Rocketjudge
Pit Crew

Unlivable wages???? The cost of living outside of California is way down. The cost of living in Mississippi compared to California means you can live very well on much less. We have people moving to Mississippi from California all the time for quality of life, safety, security and savings.

Plus, 85% of America's music comes from a 200 mile radius of Mississippi - most within the state lines.

Study your lesson.   

spoom
Technician

Agreed, friend of mine from the Milwaukee area sold his stuff and bought 4x the size building with change left over in rural Alabama. If he misses the drive bys and buildings burning, he can always watch the National News.

bblhed
Advanced Driver

My wife is a teamster, I will tell you exactly what the Teamsters have done for her. The Teamsters have made sure that they have collected $27 a week form her, that is more than I pay for family vision and dental at my job because the Teamsters can't get those benefits for her. The Teamsters promised to get the lot where she works paved 5 years ago but haven't done that, they promised they would get drivers new equipment in proper working order but my wife still has no heat on the handicapped van she drives, and while minimum wage workers in my state are enjoying 10% pay increases because of the "Fight for 15" my wife got a 3% raise last year. The Teamsters can't even get her employer to pay for her licence renewal that has to be done off the clock. It might be different with other unions, but I have learned, there are teamsters and there are Teamsters and I have a feeling that most unions only care about there weekly fees.
spoom
Technician

I remember talking with the Teamster drivers at a plant I worked at (AFL-CIO) when I'd find occasion to be welding a dockplate or repairing the electrics of the green/red loading dock trailer clamp light. Teamsters told the BEST jokes.

Why does the Teamsters' emblem have two horses on it?

They sleep standing up, too. 

How can you tell if a Teamster has a pulse when he isn't moving in the drivers lounge?

Reach for the last doughnut.

HowardSue
Intermediate Driver

Yes much like the teachers union
The teachers unions are not your kids or your teachers friend